Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dual charger set up ? I will have two model S's to charge every night.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes he is really good and honest electrician we have used him for years now. I even gave his contact info to tesla in KC and they recommend him to new customers. Safety always comes first. The 2nd HWPC will be professionally installed ( I don't have a clue how to do this stuff).

@whitex, I've been intrigued by this setup for my own use. Do you know if this would violate any codes? From a purely practical viewpoint it seems reasonable but I'm not entirely certain.
So, what's the point of the 'load sharing' then? The reason you load share is so you can have two devices on the same circuit where each one is (say) 80 Amps max, and the circuit itself has a total maximum load capacity of 80 Amps (80% of the 100 Amps for continuous load). You are only using a TOTAL of 80 Amps across the two devices.

If you are using two circuits, you can use both devices at the same time to the max load of each (80 Amps each, or 160 Amps). If you can NOT use both at the same time on separate circuits, those circuits and their breakers are not installed/sized properly and are not to code.

We have a HPWC on an 80 Amp Circuit and was considering installing a larger sub panel and another HPWC. Being the good procrastinator I am, I didn't get it done before the second S was delivered. We have found that for our driving habits, it is unnecessary.
I usually drive 30 to 40 miles a day, so I charge my 100d from the 110 volt receptacle. This more than meets my daily needs and avoids vampire drain. If I need a big charge, I use the HPWC (the cord reaches both cars) and my wife uses the 110 volt receptacle beside her car. We have yet to run into a situation where we are both driving long distances separately.

I guess technically I can use the provided UMC. But I feel like I always need a umc in my car for any emergency charging situation, so buying a second UMC is close to or the same price as a HWPC ( I think, I looked into it before our first car last year) I know it's probably over kill but I do not want to use the provided UMC that came with car in my garage and leave it there when I unplug. So if purchasing a new cord to plug in at home I might as well get a second HWPC. Plus I keep my garage very clean, so two matching HWPC's would look in place on my front wall. I know don't flame me, #firstworldproblems. Also I don't see any going back from the Tesla life, and we will live in this house for a long long time, so the extra set cost will pay for itself.

A new 14-50 circuit will require another 50A breaker and additional available load capacity at the panel. That may make it impractical if the current HPWC has already hogged the last of 200A available through the panel.

A second HPWC can share the same 50A circuit as the first HPWC, no load, breaker, or wiring problems. Set both for 50A breaker and they'll share it. Or upgrade the breaker and wiring for something closer to 100A if possible.

Reactions: No ICE
Jeez, I suggest the guy try something that would save him some $ and you disagree and pick a fight. Back off. Most recommendations here were to install 100 amps, not 50. Garage geography, remaining panel slots... all can drive price up. Why not try NO additional cost before spending? You can get 4 miles per hour on 110. I've done it many times.
I am not picking a fight, just stating what I know and my opinion, plus answering your questions. As to your question "Why not try NO additional cost before spending?", simply because it has no chance practical chance of being a sufficient solution (hence my ask to you to find one person who drives 50 miles per day and is happy with only 110V charging), and finding out it's not sufficient after delivery can be very inconvenient and that inconvenience may be the reason to pay for a rush job later, which is more expensive. That's all, nothing personal.

Last edited:
@whitex, I've been intrigued by this setup for my own use. Do you know if this would violate any codes? From a purely practical viewpoint it seems reasonable but I'm not entirely certain.
If you have both HPWC on either a shared 100A or separate 100A circuits, there should be no code violation but double check with your local electrician. Do tell him that when interconnected (with a separate communication wire) and correctly setup, the two HPWC's will not draw more than 80A combined - if they did each draw 80A simultaneously, it would not be unsafe but may trip your main service breaker, so this it to help alleviate the electrician's concern that you don't have a big enough service to handle the setup.

PS> I am not sure whether you can have one HPWC on 50A and another on 100A and have then load share, hence my suggestion to put them both on 100A circuit, whether shared or separate (depending what is easier for wiring and what your electrician will say is required by code).

Last edited:
So, what's the point of the 'load sharing' then? The reason you load share is so you can have two devices on the same circuit where each one is (say) 80 Amps max, and the circuit itself has a total maximum load capacity of 80 Amps (80% of the 100 Amps for continuous load). You are only using a TOTAL of 80 Amps across the two devices.

If you are using two circuits, you can use both devices at the same time to the max load of each (80 Amps each, or 160 Amps). If you can NOT use both at the same time on separate circuits, those circuits and their breakers are not installed/sized properly and are not to code.
The purpose of load sharing in this case is to prevent the main service breaker from tripping. For example, if you have a 200A service to your house, and then each HPWC on a separate 100A circuit, they could combined draw 160A, which combined with the rest of the house will likely trip the main breaker. Safety wise you are covered, since the main breaker will protect the distribution panel and the individual breakers their circuits, but it would be very inconvenient to keep having the main breaker trip. Having the HPWC's load share would ensure no more than 80A combined between the two. I don't know the code in all places, hence my suggestion to the OP to check with his electrician, but in most places I lived the breakers in a 200A distribution panel can add up to more than the main breaker since it's unlikely they would all peak at the same time (and if they did, the main 200A breaker would trip). Worst case scenario, the OP can have both HPWC's on the same 100A breaker if that will be needed to stay within the code.

PS> I am not sure whether you can have one HPWC on 50A and another on 100A and have then load share, hence my suggestion to put them both on 100A circuit, whether shared or separate (depending what is easier for wiring and what your electrician will say is required by code).

The max amperage is set on the master primary HPWC. The other ones, 2 (and optionally 3 or 4) are set to slave.

• Informative
Reactions: Cowby
The max amperage is set on the master primary HPWC. The other ones, 2 (and optionally 3 or 4) are set to slave.
Then having one on 50A and one on 100A circuit would not work. Too bad. I think it could be useful to have a dual HPWC setup where one is 40A and the other 40/80A depending whether the 40A is in use. I wonder whether anyone has reverse-engineered the inter-HPWC communications - IIRC it's a serial connection.

Then having one on 50A and one on 100A circuit would not work. Too bad. I think it could be useful to have a dual HPWC setup where one is 40A and the other 40/80A depending whether the 40A is in use. I wonder whether anyone has reverse-engineered the inter-HPWC communications - IIRC it's a serial connection.

Yes, it would be cool to figure out the protocol. Then one could create a "master" controller to run the show. There is a thread here, but I haven't followed it in a while.

Right now, your scenario would have to wire both as 100 and tell it max 100. Means one could not save on wiring cost for one of the hpwc.

If I were you, I would not rush into 2 chargers or upgraded circuits. I would plug the 40-50 mile per day car into 110 circuit and let the 150-200 mile car use the hpwc. Once a week or so you may need to top off the 40-50 mile car on hpwc...

As the owner of multiple BEVs, I completely agree with tomas. 12A at 120vac overnight is perfectly adequate to sustain 50 miles/day.

How would that ever have more utility than two matching units that can each be 40 or 80 A whenever a car needs it?

What do you think you gain by limiting the maximum current on one of them?

How would that ever have more utility than two matching units that can each be 40 or 80 A whenever a car needs it?
I don't think I understand the question. Typical modern residential service in the USA is 200A, in some places you can upgrade to 400A.

What do you think you gain by limiting the maximum current on one of them?

What you gain is that the 2 HPWC's will never draw more than 80A combined - without it, they could draw 160A. Considering that a typical modern home service in the USA is 200A, when the rest of the house (lights, stove, dryer, air conditioners, etc) combined draws more than 40A, your main service breaker trips and it's lights out - a stove+oven can peak at 40A alone btw. If you let the HPWC's talk to each other, they don't ever draw more than 80A total, leaving 120A for the house instead of 40A, so 3 times the power.

I don't think I understand the question. Typical modern residential service in the USA is 200A, in some places you can upgrade to 400A.

What you gain is that the 2 HPWC's will never draw more than 80A combined - without it, they could draw 160A. Considering that a typical modern home service in the USA is 200A, when the rest of the house (lights, stove, dryer, air conditioners, etc) combined draws more than 40A, your main service breaker trips and it's lights out - a stove+oven can peak at 40A alone btw. If you let the HPWC's talk to each other, they don't ever draw more than 80A total, leaving 120A for the house instead of 40A, so 3 times the power.

A slaved pair of HPWCs set to an 80A maximum on the master will never draw more than 80A total, but either of them can use the full 80A if the other isn't drawing power.

That's the configuration I assumed you were comparing your 80/40 + 40 configuration to, where I'm not seeing any benefit.

A slaved pair of HPWCs set to an 80A maximum on the master will never draw more than 80A total, but either of them can use the full 80A if the other isn't drawing power.

That's the configuration I assumed you were comparing your 80/40 + 40 configuration to, where I'm not seeing any benefit.
Oh, I see now. The 80 would be on a new 100A circuit, while the OP could leave the old HPWC on the existing 50A circuit - it would save work/money not having to rewire the existing HPWC with bigger wires. The first HPWC would be capable of 80A and the second of 40A, but combined never more then 80A. That seems to not be possible as per @brkaus since both HPWC's share a max current setting, so if you did do that, the 40A HPWC could attempt to draw 80A and blow the 50A breaker. In the OP's situation it would be worse, as the existing HPWC on 50A circuit but set as if it was on 100A, would allow 48A when connected to a 2016 S75D car, so not trip the breaker but over the allowed sustained 40A.

We've had an HPWC on a 100A circuit so we could charge our late S P85 (VIN 3xxx) at 80A (using the onboard dual chargers) - which has allowed us to quickly charge the car at about 60 miles of rated range per hour.

When we ordered our new S 100D, we had to decide how we would charge two Tesla cars (we hope to replace the S P85 with a 3 later this year).

Based on our experience with our S P85, we found only a few times in 4 years when we needed to charge the S P85 faster than 30 MPH - and that was before the Supercharger network was installed and we needed to recharge quickly after doing the daily commute and leaving for a road trip in the evening. Once superchargers became available, that no longer was a problem - we only needed enough charge to reach the first SC, which doesn't require fast charging at 60 MPH.

So, when we ordered our S 100D, we decided to stay with the standard (at that time) 48A charger. We put the S 100D on the HPWC, which now only draws 48A (instead of 80A).

We also have a 14-50 on the same 100A circuit, and dialed down the charging on the S P85 to 32A, keeping simultaneous charging to only 80A when both cars are charging at the same time.

And after having this configuration for 3 months - the slower charging for both cars hasn't been a problem.

With Tesla's plans to add urban superchargers, and more superchargers on the highways - at least for owners with larger battery packs (85, 90 or 100), it's not clear there is really a need to charge two cars at the max rate (72A or 80A at home).

If an owner really wants to have that capability - have one HPWC configured to provide up to 72A - and have a second charging plug at 14-50.

Since Tesla has lowered the price of the HPWC - there isn't much difference in the cost between a dedicated 14-50 connector vs. an HPWC when purchased from the Tesla store. There can be a significant difference in the installation costs for adding circuits able to handle a 72A HPWC, compared to a 14-50 outlet.

Oh, I see now. The 80 would be on a new 100A circuit, while the OP could leave the old HPWC on the existing 50A circuit - it would save work/money not having to rewire the existing HPWC with bigger wires. The first HPWC would be capable of 80A and the second of 40A, but combined never more then 80A. That seems to not be possible as per @brkaus since both HPWC's share a max current setting, so if you did do that, the 40A HPWC could attempt to draw 80A and blow the 50A breaker. In the OP's situation it would be worse, as the existing HPWC on 50A circuit but set as if it was on 100A, would allow 48A when connected to a 2016 S75D car, so not trip the breaker but over the allowed sustained 40A.

I'm missing something?

A slaved pair would share a single set of wires and breaker - either the existing 50/40 or a new 100/80.