Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dual charger upgrade price - software only

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So after a month of back and forth I have finally received a quote to enable the dual chargers on my MS
The car is a 2014 model S60, it physically has the dual charger fitted but not activated.

The cost............ £1,700 OUCH!!

Who is going to pay this on a 5yr old car, just to charge quicker on AC where the charger has 22kw output. (There aren’t that many of them around the country compared to 7kw or even DC 50kw chargers)

If this was £200 or £300 I might consider the OTA update to do it but given its limited addition there’s no way.
Tesla could be making money easily on this but instead they would rather quote silly money then not have it at all.
Shame

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
That is about what I paid to have the second charger installed in my 2016 S90D. It is very unlikely that the second charger is already installed in a 2014 car and not activated. It's possible but would be the first one I have ever heard of.

That is about what I paid to have the second charger installed in my 2016 S90D. It is very unlikely that the second charger is already installed in a 2014 car and not activated. It's possible but would be the first one I have ever heard of.
There were batches of cars with 2 chargers installed, just like there were some 72A chargers installed but only 48A enabled, especially when the new chargers first came out. Tesla does weird things in their manufacturing, including one batch of S60/75's which got shipped with 85KWh batteries (IIRC it was in Europe somewhere) - probably ran out of 75 batteries, so they put in some 85's they had laying around. I wouldn't be surprised to find a car here or there, or even a batch of them where they already installed 2 chargers. Maybe SC's had no training or parts to install the second charger in Europe, so they just put 2 chargers in all cars for a while. Maybe it was an inventory car with 2 chargers, but whoever bought it didn't want to pay for dual chargers. Anything is possible, especially with Tesla manufacturing history.

Last edited:
Reactions: croman and AMPd
4B9FAF9D-0902-4898-825F-1FC5C839F757.jpeg
Mine is definitely fitted - here’s under the seat. The service tech was also surprised.

• Informative
Reactions: whitex
Your money would be spent better on the CCS upgrade. OK its DC not AC, but as you say there are few 22kw chargers in the Europe but an increasing number of CCS chargers. That price was the option price back in the day and Tesla haven't bothered updating it and they'd sell very few if they did so not worth the effort to evenb revisit it.