Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dual Chargers in Seattle?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 60kwh on order (only 6 more weeks!) and have been thinking a lot lately about the charging on the go and using this car for day/overnight trips I might take around the area. Ideally I would never have to drive my "other" car again, so I was curious on the best options to get for charging in-and-around town in the Seattle and extended trips.

I understand there is only a benefit to dual chargers if the amperage is high enough. I would not use this at home, but what is the density of 70/80/90/100 AMP chargers in the Seattle and surrounding regions? It seems the Sun Country highway uses only 70AMP chargers? What about Blink in the city? There seems to be a lot of CHadeMO in the surrounding areas, but until the adapter is made available, SuperChargers are the only option and not useful for local trips around the Puget Sound area.

I was thinking the MS60 with dual chargers, supercharging access and CHadeMO adapter would be a pretty robust road-tripping car. I know the 85kwh would give me more distance per charge, but I figure more abundant charging options/equipment would be more flexible and cost effective in the long run and for every-day use outside of my normal commute (75-80 miles).

Any opinions (other than to get a 85 kwh batter :) )

I have a 60kwh on order (only 6 more weeks!) and have been thinking a lot lately about the charging on the go and using this car for day/overnight trips I might take around the area. Ideally I would never have to drive my "other" car again, so I was curious on the best options to get for charging in-and-around town in the Seattle and extended trips.

I understand there is only a benefit to dual chargers if the amperage is high enough. I would not use this at home, but what is the density of 70/80/90/100 AMP chargers in the Seattle and surrounding regions? It seems the Sun Country highway uses only 70AMP chargers? What about Blink in the city? There seems to be a lot of CHadeMO in the surrounding areas, but until the adapter is made available, SuperChargers are the only option and not useful for local trips around the Puget Sound area.

I was thinking the MS60 with dual chargers, supercharging access and CHadeMO adapter would be a pretty robust road-tripping car. I know the 85kwh would give me more distance per charge, but I figure more abundant charging options/equipment would be more flexible and cost effective in the long run and for every-day use outside of my normal commute (75-80 miles).

Any opinions (other than to get a 85 kwh batter :) )

A good place to look is on the PlugShare website for the red colored "High Powered Stations" at the places you intend to take trips to:

PlugShare - EV Charging Station Map - Find the nearest location to charge your electric car!

You can "uncheck" all the other ones to just see the high power ones (in the "Legend" at the top right). But keep in mind it won't tell you if they are the CHAdeMO type until you click on each location and read about them. You can't use these ones unless you buy a $1,000 adapter that is not yet available.

I have a Sun Country 80A station at my home that is on plug share. There are quite a few high AMP stations up and down I-5. I drove to Sacramento CA on them last summer before the super charging network had expanded to WA state, using a roadster/HPC adapter, family of 4 with dog. there have been a few hiccups with the addition of more 80A sun country chargers, but I'm promised they will be on line soon, adding quite a few across the state. Plug In North Central WA has done a great job at getting in quite a few in North West WA. download plugshare/recargo and do some searching, they are out there!

Thanks! I have downloaded PlugShare and checked out the website, I guess I just don't know how to find out what the "Amperage" is for the Level2 stations. Most of the High-Power stations I see are for CHadeMO or supercharger. Is there a specific type of charger (AeroEnvironment? Blink? etc?) that I should be looking at to know its a high-amperage charger that dual-chargers would benefit from?

When you find the EV plug (J1772) someone usually has entered the Amps especially if it is a 70 or 80A station. Otherwise can assume 30A typically especially if it is a ChargePoint or Blink station. There may be some but I can't think of any stations operated by Blink, ChargePoint or any network that is over 30A for J1772. They higher amp ones all seem to be other owners or some business or volunteer group donating a station.

North Central Washington - haL2 Charging Opportunities

Plug-In North Central Washington invites you all to come visit the region in Washington State with the highest density of 70A EVSE. If I did this correctly there will be a PDF attached that shows our current system map. We just purchased four additional Clipper Creek CS-90 (70A charger). When you view our charging opportunities on PlugShare we list the amperage in the description. But, because our project charter is for haL2 we have not installed any EVSE under 70A.

To investigate a great opportunity to visit our region follow this link: North Cascades Electric Vehicle Rally of Discovery Registration, Mazama - Eventbrite

This EVent is not a fund raiser, we are raising the visibility of EVs in north central Washington; and looking to have a good time!

PS: I highly recommend adding the Dual Charger option pre-build. The day of 30A chargers is over and most charging opportunities being placed today are >60A mostly 70 - 80A.

Jack

Attachments

• EV Charging Stations Compressed.pdf
    721.8 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
GolfSki, if it's not too late, I'd also encourage you to consider getting the 85kwh battery - when I got mine I had briefly considered the 60, and even the Tesla salesmen suggested 60 was enough, but 85kwh makes it so much easier to go on trips, and supports supercharging.

If I had to pick a single add on, it would be the 85kwh battery. In retrospect I wish I'd gotten dual chargers, partly because its so much more expensive now, but in about 1.5 years I've only once charged at a high power capable charger (in Blaine).