Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dual Chargers now separate from HPWC on Tesla Website

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi islandbayy, what does P120 mean in your signature? Congratulations on adding twin chargers and I am sure having fast charging capability will be of help at sometime in future. Other thing I recommend all is to have extension cords and adapters so that you can charge from any plug (especially dryer plugs) which are in any home.

Hi islandbayy, what does P120 mean in your signature? Congratulations on adding twin chargers and I am sure having fast charging capability will be of help at sometime in future. Other thing I recommend all is to have extension cords and adapters so that you can charge from any plug (especially dryer plugs) which are in any home.

As someone picking up my MS on Wednesday, which extension cords do you recommend?

The dual chargers are great, seems like they should just be standard. if true, this is good news that they have un-bundled them! you don't need them until you really need them, and then it's too late or very expensive. J1772 protocol allows for up to 80A/20kW charging. it may take a while for some parts of the country to get them, but I bet they will be the charger of choice down the line as higher amperage chargers in cars become more common. they are common enough on the west coast that they have been very valuable for us.

I think it's good that it's an option. Not everyone needs dual chargers, so no one should be forced to buy it. I did pay for dual chargers, and I've used it on two road trips. But I don't use it at home, and with the supercharger rollout, I'm not sure I will ever have occasion to use it again. It's nice to know I have it if I need it, but how much is that worth? For a lot of people, probably less than $1500.

Wow! That would be a reason to get one. Our TOU off peak window is 14 hours in the summer and 18 hours in the winter.
I can't imagine ever using twin chargers in Northern California. They are far to slow for road trips and overkill for overnight charging.

To each is own. I've used my second charger many times at this point. My TOU super off peak window is only 4 hours long. 80A charging allows me to fully charge in that window even if I've run the battery down fairly low. It's also saved my bacon twice when my schedule changed midday and I needed to go from 70% to 100% quickly.

I've also charged on public HPWCs.

Wow! That would be a reason to get one. Our TOU off peak window is 14 hours in the summer and 18 hours in the winter.
I can't imagine ever using twin chargers in Northern California. They are far to slow for road trips and overkill for overnight charging.
In silicon valley there are a lot of 80A HPWCs around the south bay. I've been happy to use many of them (most at Tesla locations)
Certainly useful for charging in just half the time of a 40A 14-50 or 30A J1772 public station... but yes, I don't think it was necessarily worth extra $1500 investment.

Just keep a 110V extension cord, 15A rated, in your car. And 14-50, 14-30, 10-30, 5-15 adapters in your UMC bag.

Don't forget the 5-20 adapter - 33% faster charge than the 5-15 that comes with the car on 120V household circuits. And so, I'd recommend a 20A rated extension cord. I've actually used my 5-20 adapter when travelling, haven't yet used my other adapters, but each person's usage is different.

While the 14-40, 10-30 adapters are nice, you might find you need an extension cord to get access to those plugs should you ever want to charge from one. And that means a 50A extension cord. And home made adapters. You can go pretty deep with this. Check out this document if you really want to see how it all works. Note, most people don't need to go to this length...

http://cosmacelf.net/Home%20Made%20Adapters.pdf

Don't forget the 5-20 adapter - 33% faster charge than the 5-15 that comes with the car on 120V household circuits. And so, I'd recommend a 20A rated extension cord. I've actually used my 5-20 adapter when travelling, haven't yet used my other adapters, but each person's usage is different.

While the 14-40, 10-30 adapters are nice, you might find you need an extension cord to get access to those plugs should you ever want to charge from one. And that means a 50A extension cord. And home made adapters. You can go pretty deep with this. Check out this document if you really want to see how it all works. Note, most people don't need to go to this length...

http://cosmacelf.net/Home Made Adapters.pdf

Nice document! I wish I could say I had better luck at using my 5-20 adapter while traveling, but I seem to only ever find 5-15 outlet when in a pinch.
But I have been lucky in all the times parked & charging in friends' & families' garages, fortunately using the electric dryer outlets w/o need of an extension cord...

I can't say I agree about the 5-20 adapter being a good choice. 20A-rated outlets are rare or non-existent in most homes (or not accessible from where a Model S would be parked) and plugging into a standard 15A outlet with it would likely trip the circuit breaker.

You can't plug into a standard 15A outlet with Tesla's 5-20 adapter. It has a horizontal neutral blade, so it'll only fit into a NEMA 5-20 socket.

Maybe here in CA the building codes are newer. I've stayed at vacation condos where they have NEMA 5-20s in the garage.

You can't plug into a standard 15A outlet with Tesla's 5-20 adapter. It has a horizontal neutral blade, so it'll only fit into a NEMA 5-20 socket.

Maybe here in CA the building codes are newer. I've stayed at vacation condos where they have NEMA 5-20s in the garage.

In most places, the difference between 15 and 20 Amp outlet circuits is whether the builder wants to pay for 14 or 12 gauge wire. Most of the cost is labor, but...

I've also encountered places that have 20 Amp breakers for the outlets, but use the 5-15 receptacles. This is very frustrating when you want to plug in a load that needs 15 or 16 Amps continuous. I have replaced some outlets to fix just such a problem.

On the need for dual chargers or not, the most common public place to have more than 40A available is at a Tesla Service Center or Show Room. Also, the the Sun Country Highway across Southern Canada and Washington State is almost entirely 70 and 80 Amp J1772 EVSE's and I have helped install public 70 Amp J's in Salida and Pagosa Springs, CO. I have dual chargers in my MS and am very happy to have them, even if the real need only happens occasionally!

After delivery: $3600. I don't see how the labor for installing it after delivery costs $2100. Even at $120/hour it can't possibly be a two day job to install a second charger.

(1) Shipping the charger to the service center
(2) Actually I can see that being a 2 day job, when I think about heavy duty electrical work

- - - Updated - - -

It was originally that way for at least the first 5000 production VINs as well... then they changed it to bundle the HPWC... then they wised up and changed it back

Yes. I got the twin chargers without the HPWC. (And I used them! In Canada on the Sun Country Highway!) I said it was a dumb move when they bundled them. I'm glad that they're separate again. Good move, Tesla.

Great to see them finally being separated on the buyer's page. Here is what I sent to Jerome asking for this exact change to the website (on Feb. 4). I'm sure I wasn't the only one who asked for this change though:

I have one last piece of feedback actually, maybe you can point this to the right person! I think that "High Power Home Charging" is inaccurately described on the design website.

What absolutely does not come across from this wording (that I realized today) is that this relates outside of the home also. I plugged my Tesla in to an HPWC at Tesla Motors in Palo Alto tonight, and I noticed I was only charging at 40A and not the full 80A. After investigating this online, it is because I did not select "High Power Home Charging" -- see how this is misleading? Even the description does not capture this: "This combo lets owners charge quickly at home..." -- totally omitting external chargers at 80A. I did not select this option on my car at the time I ordered it since I live in an apartment-like complex and could not install an HPWC. However, I assumed I could still use an HPWC to full capacity elsewhere, only to be a bit disappointed.

There is an extremely high probability I would have selected this as an option (and potentially others?) now that I see I'm limited to 40A, and unfortunately it's almost double the cost to retrofit it ($3,600 for the twin charger, $1200 for the HPWC). It should likely be split on the order page like it is in the accessory store: "Dual charging capability" and "High Power Wall Connector" -- clearly they are independent!

Just some feedback! Maybe you can point it in the right direction... I know Tesla is still in its growing stages, so I figured the feedback could help.

I should follow up with him and give him the thumbs up to the change.

Great to see them finally being separated on the buyer's page. Here is what I sent to Jerome asking for this exact change to the website (on Feb. 4). I'm sure I wasn't the only one who asked for this change though:

I should follow up with him and give him the thumbs up to the change.

Great Job gnychis. I did know what I was buying at the time I ordered. I just didn't know I could separate the two until my car was already on the production line. When I tried to change to the dual chargers. Now it looks like I may have to spend the $3,600.oo for it next year if the suppercharger network doesn't expand like it should.

Thanks to the heads up from posters on this thread, I was able to take advantage of the reported unbundling of the twin charger option feature. Production commences 6 April so the order modification got done just in time. Joe, the OA in Raleigh, NC was most helpful. I won't have the HPWC in my garage but I'm thinking that public high power stations will proliferate in a few years time.e