Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dual Chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Went ahead and ordered it today along with a wall charger.

WHEW!......so glad you opted-in for duals before Cottonwood got a hold of you and this thread :mad::mad::biggrin::biggrin:

But seriously, you'll be glad you did. We started out with a 40Kw S and it quickly morphed into a fully loaded S except duals and 3rd row. After the stock "ripped" and we got the "buy one, get ten free" deal, we retrofitted for the awesome duals.

Went ahead and ordered it today along with a wall charger.

WHEW!......so glad you opted-in for duals before Cottonwood got a hold of you and this thread :mad::mad::biggrin::biggrin:

Now, now...I have strong opinions, but highjacking a thread... :rolleyes:

Anyway, you made a reasoned, intelligent choice. With the increasing number of Destination HPWC's, owner HPWC's and the SCH coming south, you will be happy with your choice!

We have a charging station already set up for an i3 that could eventually be replaced by a Gen 3......so the 50 amp outlet will simply need to go and be replaced by the 100 amp.
Now the fun part....getting an electrician to get enough power to the garage. My 200 Amp service is pretty maxed out.
Have had 3 quotes so far: $1350 but will not get the full 58 miles of range per hour...only 47 and that's with a strong recommendation to only charge late at night.
$4900 that will give 400 amp capacity and allow expansion but only in garage.
$13,900 Yikes! Makes the 2nd quote seem more palatable.
At one point there were either tax credits or Power company credits to get the infrastructure prepared. Unfortunately those days are gone.

At home I have never wished for more than my 40A UMC. Upgrading from 60 to 85 kWA was a good choice. At $1500 for the dual charging option I probably would have taken it but $2700 for HPWC bundled with dual charger wasn't that interesting.

There are possibilities traveling where Superchargers do not yet exist that a dual charger would be handy. I foolishly believed the CHAdeMO adapter would be ready Winter 2013 as promised and felt that would be a better use of $1000.

Drove out to Chattanooga last month for my first (and so far only) Supercharge.

Often make 150 mile days from home. Set the timer for midnight and car is always ready by morning.