Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dual chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe that over time there will be an increasing percentage of chargers over 40A as EVs become more common.
I believe that will be true only if EVs have greater than 40A chargers. Dropping dual chargers from the Model S order site, so most mainstream buyers wouldn't even know that dual chargers are available, and hiding the 72A charger option in the Model X doesn't make it likely that the more expensive higher amp charging stations will be installed. I'm disappointed about that. It seems the right hand (product managers) doesn't know what the left hand (destination charging) is doing at Tesla.

I believe that will be true only if EVs have greater than 40A chargers. Dropping dual chargers from the Model S order site, so most mainstream buyers wouldn't even know that dual chargers are available, and hiding the 72A charger option in the Model X doesn't make it likely that the more expensive higher amp charging stations will be installed. I'm disappointed about that. It seems the right hand (product managers) doesn't know what the left hand (destination charging) is doing at Tesla.
I agree, but the problem is that there are so many Teslas and Superchargers in California that what works for everyone else is dismissed as noise.

Hey folks, I dont know all the 110 vs 220. But if I'm getting the $750 wall connector at 58 miles/hour charging, then I need the dual chargers right?

I think the one that the washer dryer plugs into is 110 so is half the speed?
You really need to read the home charging FAQ.
Yes if you want to get 58 miles range/hour you need dual chargers. You also need a 100A circuit for the wall connector for 80A output.
Dryer outlets are 30A and 240V so I'm not sure what you're referring to there. 120V outlets only give about 3 miles/ hour.

Read the charging section of the Tesla web site and the charging FAQ here, then come back with what questions you have.

Here on the east coast I would highly recommend dual chargers. I have two 80 AMP HPWC's at home and have used HPWC's at multiple destinations. The CHADeMO has been a POS - not because of the adaptor, but because most of the electric pedestal providers don't maintain their equipment and its hit or miss on the quality of charge speed.
I would pick Superchargers, then HPWC and then fall back to CHADeMO as my contingency option based on the my experience in the mid-atlantic region.

You really need to read the home charging FAQ.
Yes if you want to get 58 miles range/hour you need dual chargers. You also need a 100A circuit for the wall connector for 80A output.
Dryer outlets are 30A and 240V so I'm not sure what you're referring to there. 120V outlets only give about 3 miles/ hour.

Read the charging section of the Tesla web site and the charging FAQ here, then come back with what questions you have.

ill take a look at it. If you're telling me to get a 100a circuit, then why would the wall connector only output 80a and not 100a?

i mentioned the washer dryer outlet because that's what my friend has and he says it's sufficient for his needs but. I always thought they were suppose to be slow charging.

ill take a look at it. If you're telling me to get a 100a circuit, then why would the wall connector only output 80a and not 100a?

i mentioned the washer dryer outlet because that's what my friend has and he says it's sufficient for his needs but. I always thought they were suppose to be slow charging.

You need a 100 amp circuit to get 80 amp charging because EV charging is always a continuous load so the circuit is detrated by 20%. This is true of any circuit. A 30 amp dryer circuit can only charge at 24 amps.

Sufficient or not depends on if you have the charge you want in the morning. While it takes something like 12 hours for a washer dryer circuit to charge from 0 to 100% in an 85, if you drive 40 miles a day, you'll always replace the used charge in a reasonable amount of time. The reason that a 14-50 is more popular is that it charges faster and costs the same (assuming you are running a new circuit for each).

Exactly. I also have "irregular driving needs" and am very happy my S has dual chargers. I have also found HPWCs at destinations running at 60 to 80A and am glad that can charge faster and not tie up the HPWC for as long as those with a single charger. Well worth the extra cost, in my opinion.
I too agree. It just made sense to be able to charge as fast as possible at capable destination chargers; more destination charge stations are offering higher power.

But what percentage of those 1080 destination chargers are 80A (or even significantly >40A)?

I don't recall any amperage minimum for the destination charging program...

I've traveled the entire country with my Model S, and I've used many Tesla Destination chargers. I will estimate that about 70% of Destination chargers are 80À. I've seen a few that were 64A, but the 40A or less were a minority. Many of the hotels with valet parking had only one or two 80A HPWCs. Some of the self park locations with up to 4 HPWCs decided to do all of them at 40A. Either way, they are all a better option than public Level 2 charging stations, because:
- Level 2 stations only charge at 24A, and
- Many Level 2 stations are perpetually in use by Leafs or Volts.
- Level 2 stations are really only useful to a Model S driver for overnight charging, otherwise you're not picking up much range.

On a roadtrip, staying at a hotel with HPWCs is even more convenient than having a nearby supercharger, because you're full every morning (just like at home). Sometimes we would stop for lunch at a hotel with 80A Destination chargers. In an hour we could pick up 50 miles of range. There is a new mall near me with 4 Destination chargers. On a quick trip to the mall, I can pick up 60 miles of range. If you do a lot of driving, (including roadtrips), then Dual chargers might be worth the cost.

Last edited:

This is why you need to read the charging page on the Tesla web site and the home charging FAQ here :smile:

sdads.png

Fully loaded P85D and no dual charger option. What a shame.

Last edited:
The only device that will take advantage of the dual chargers is the Wall Connector (HPWC). If you have access to one, either installed at home or intend to use a destination charger, the dual chargers may be useful. If you never come across an HPWC, the second charger will never be used. Most public charging in .us is not capable of 240v/40 amps, let alone anything beyond.

As as previously reported, neither the Supercharger nor the CHAdeMO adapter are affected. They both supply 400+ volts DC and do not use the built in charger(s).

The only device that will take advantage of the dual chargers is the Wall Connector (HPWC).
Not so. High amp J1772s aren't common but when you find one you can take advantage of it with dual chargers. For example Clipper Creek makes the CS-60 (48A output) and CS-100 (80A output) that cost little more than their 30A J1772s and less than networked J1772s such as ChargePoint sells. It's a chicken and egg problem regarding availability-- locations aren't going to install them rather than 30A until there us a critical mass of cars with high amp AC charging capability.