Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dual charging outlets

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the capacity for a 40 amp breaker in my garage subpanel. I was going to have the electrician install a Nema 14-50 plug with about a 15 ft conduit run. However I've been thinking that it'd be nice to be able to park the car in front of the garage instead of inside on occasion. Is it possible to have one wire run with two outlets? Or is that against code? I was thinking to have one 14-50 inside the garage and then another one inside of a weatherproof box on a pole outside the garage. Or would I need two 40 amp slots for this (which I don't have)?

If you install a receptacle such as the NEMA 14-50 (any receptacle really) it is better if the receptacle is out of the elements and inside the garage. For outdoor use install the Tesla Wall Connector unit as it is designed to be hard wired and is fully weather rated for outdoor use. The Tesla Gen3 Wall Connector ($495 US) can be configured for any 120V or 240V charging circuit rated from 15A up to 60A, so you could install the Wall Connector on a 40A circuit and charge at 32A (this is the same amperage and speed as with the Tesla Gen2 Mobile Connector when fitted with the NEMA 14-50 or 6-50 plug adapter.) The Gen3 Wall Connector has a longer 24 foot charging cord than the 18 foot cord that comes with the Gen2 Mobile Connector. When you add up the cost of all of the additional electrical components, accessories needed for using the Mobile Connector at home with a NEMA 14-50 receptacle the difference is less than $200. The Tesla Gen3 Wall Connector supports automatic load balancing (requires access to a Wi-Fi network). Up to 6 Tesla Gen3 Wall Connector units can be installed on the same charging circuit.

If you install a receptacle such as the NEMA 14-50 (any receptacle really) it is better if the receptacle is out of the elements and inside the garage. For outdoor use install the Tesla Wall Connector unit as it is designed to be hard wired and is fully weather rated for outdoor use. The Tesla Gen3 Wall Connector ($495 US) can be configured for any 120V or 240V charging circuit rated from 15A up to 60A, so you could install the Wall Connector on a 40A circuit and charge at 32A (this is the same amperage and speed as with the Tesla Gen2 Mobile Connector when fitted with the NEMA 14-50 or 6-50 plug adapter.) The Gen3 Wall Connector has a longer 24 foot charging cord than the 18 foot cord that comes with the Gen2 Mobile Connector. When you add up the cost of all of the additional electrical components, accessories needed for using the Mobile Connector at home with a NEMA 14-50 receptacle the difference is less than $200. The Tesla Gen3 Wall Connector supports automatic load balancing (requires access to a Wi-Fi network). Up to 6 Tesla Gen3 Wall Connector units can be installed on the same charging circuit.
Thank you. It looks like the Tesla Wall Connector mounted in an enclosure might be the the best way to go. I would prefer an enclosure to deter thieves. Would that be code compliant?

Thank you. It looks like the Tesla Wall Connector mounted in an enclosure might be the the best way to go. I would prefer an enclosure to deter thieves. Would that be code compliant?
You can use an enclosure provided the specified clearances around the Wall Connector are provided. The Wall Connector would not be easy to steal (the cover is secured with Torx security screws) but could be vandalized. If you are concerned about unauthorized use you can configure the Wall Connector so it can only be used by specific Tesla vehicles based on the VIN. See page 13 regarding installation, clearances.

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...ng/Gen3_WallConnector_Installation_Manual.pdf

Last edited:
Reactions: TheLex
Personally, I'd install a Wall Connector (or NEMA 14-50 receptacle if that's the route you prefer to go) inside, between the garage doors, and run the cord under one of the doors in the event that you need to charge outside. Be sure to verify the cable will fit in the gap under the door - there is usually room, but not always. The door opener can usually be adjusted to provide a few extra millimeters of clearance if necessary.

Last edited:
Yes, if you install the Wall Connector (or outlet) inside the garage near the door, you can run your cord under the door (unless your charge port when parked outside is more than 15' from the outlet location). That how mine is installed. I can't park in my garage but didn't want to cut a hole in the stucco to get power outside so I just run the cord under the door. It is a tight fit with my Gen 2 cable but the Gen 3 is thinner (48A max vs 80A on the Gen 2 means thinner wires).

Reactions: TheLex