Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dual charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Signature cars all get the 72amp, no option.

Production cars come with a 48amp charger, option to upgrade to a single 72amp charger. Need to use the Easter Egg on the order page to get it to show up. (Just type in "Charger" with the screen up, no text input field)

The Sig X comes with a single 72A. The regular X comes with a single 48A, unless you use a special code during ordering to see the 72A option and select it.

The S comes with either a single 40A or dual 40A chargers.

There is no DUAL charger option for the X. Single 48A or single 72A.

Are you using the wall connector or a normal 240 connector. I.e. How many amps are you running to it? Trying to work what to get fitted.
I am using HPWC set to 80A. The attached picture shows a charging session.
2015-12-24 13.28.06.jpg

I am using HPWC set to 80A. The attached picture shows a charging session.

Are you using the portable cable that came with the car or did you purchase the $700 permanent one.

I had one off the official installation guys around and he was quoting to install a 50 amp 240 volts. Which I think it will max out the possible speed. Running the car off normal 120 volt till we get it sorted. Got to run the conduit a long way so I don't want to get it wrong.

I have a free 1" conduit that runs part of the way. Do you know what size conduit you had to use.

Last edited:
A 50amp @ 240v circuit (most likely a nema 14/50 outlet) will charge at 40A. If you buy the 72A charger for the X, the only way to take full advantage of it would be to buy a HPWC from Tesla and run a 90A or 100A circuit.

A 50amp @ 240v circuit (most likely a nema 14/50 outlet) will charge at 40A. If you buy the 72A charger for the X, the only way to take full advantage of it would be to buy a HPWC from Tesla and run a 90A or 100A circuit.

A 90 amp circuit won't work unless you buy an old Wall Connector that had a dip switch for 72 amps. The new ones don't have that option.

Are you using the portable cable that came with the car or did you purchase the $700 permanent one.

I had one off the official installation guys around and he was quoting to install a 50 amp 240 volts. Which I think it will max out the possible speed. Running the car off normal 120 volt till we get it sorted. Got to run the conduit a long way so I don't want to get it wrong.

I have a free 1" conduit that runs part of the way. Do you know what size conduit you had to use.
To use the full 72A of a Sig X, you will need the HPWC with it's own cable. That device has dip switches that can be set to how much power you want to deliver. Our's was set to 80A, even though the car can only take 72A (which is fine). However, to pull steady 80A (or probably 72A), you will need a 100A breaker. From the breaker box to the HPWC, our electrician used 3 gauge wire.

One other point, we were considering a 50A outlet and not buying the $750 HPWC. However, if you do not have the HPWC, you either have to take your charging cable out of the trunk and plug in both ends and then roll it back up on stow it in the trunk after charging or) buy a second charging cable to leave plugged into the garage outlet for $650. For us, the extra $100 for the HPWC was an easy $100 and we love the convenience and the clean look.

One other point, we were considering a 50A outlet and not buying the $750 HPWC. However, if you do not have the HPWC, you either have to take your charging cable out of the trunk and plug in both ends and then roll it back up on stow it in the trunk after charging or) buy a second charging cable to leave plugged into the garage outlet for $650. For us, the extra $100 for the HPWC was an easy $100 and we love the convenience and the clean look.
No, you don't have to do either. Most people who use the UMC in their garage keep it plugged in and hanging on a wall hook. It's only necessary to take it in the car if you're going out of town. Even then you're unlikely to need it as you don't use it for supercharging or J1772s (but I take it just in case).

Max. Thank you so much for this info. Would you happen to know what size conduit was needed to pull the wires through.
To use the full 72A of a Sig X, you will need the HPWC with it's own cable. That device has dip switches that can be set to how much power you want to deliver. Our's was set to 80A, even though the car can only take 72A (which is fine). However, to pull steady 80A (or probably 72A), you will need a 100A breaker. From the breaker box to the HPWC, our electrician used 3 gauge wire.

Max. Thank you so much for this info. Would you happen to know what size conduit was needed to pull the wires through.
The exterior width of the conduit is 1.5" I do not know how much room is left in the conduit. They may have used a larger conduit than necessary.

- - - Updated - - -

No, you don't have to do either. Most people who use the UMC in their garage keep it plugged in and hanging on a wall hook. It's only necessary to take it in the car if you're going out of town. Even then you're unlikely to need it as you don't use it for supercharging or J1772s (but I take it just in case).
Technically, you are of course correct. I just would never give a new EV owner the advice to not have a charging cable with them unless they are going to need it. That adds another level and planning to driving that new EV owners may not be comfortable with and could limit them from a spur of the moment trip outside their range comfort level. This is just my humble opinion and should be taken with a grain of salt.

Many factors in conduit sizing. Type of wire, distance, wire size, load etc. Maybe use a qualified electrician to advise on your installation.

Conduit Fill Calculator

I got the dual chargers on my MS and then found out it would cost 3K to install another panel and more power from the pole. I was bummed and didn't do it. But I have never had an issue at all with charging at 40amps. Not one. So, I guess I wasted however much it cost me for the option.

Lessons learned.

This is all fantastic information for newbies to EV like me. Is there an FAQ somewhere (perhaps in the Model S forum?) that summarizes all of the little details to make sure to ask the electrician for (like 100A breaker instead of 90A; 3 gauge wire; size of conduit: etc.)? Thanks!