Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dual charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just for ease of use here's a link to the HPWC (high power wall charger).

Another reason to get this is to have the option to simply leave the UMC in the car all the time. I like to have the UMC in the car and yet don't want to have to keep plugging and unplugging it on a daily basis. When I got my Model S, the HPWC was $1500 so I got a second UMC. Given that the HPWC is only $100 more than a second UMC I would get that even if I were only hooking it up to a 50amp circuit.

Thank you so much for posting this link. I have tried to read through it twice. I'll be honest.... I don't understand the majority of it. It has technical detail and liability details that are WAY above the head of this unfrozen caveman. Is there a more simplified version for those of us who:

1. Don't want to build my own
2. Upgraded to the 72A charger
3. Want the best possible setup (and in the future plan to have multiple (2-3) EV's in the same garage).
4. Still drags his (or her) knuckles on the ground and does not have an electrical engineering degree

I very much appreciate the tremendous amount of work that went into producing that document, and the work that goes into maintaining it. I feel bad that it's above my head and I have to ask for a "dumbed down" version. Thank you!

Thank you so much for posting this link. I have tried to read through it twice. I'll be honest.... I don't understand the majority of it. It has technical detail and liability details that are WAY above the head of this unfrozen caveman. Is there a more simplified version for those of us who:

1. Don't want to build my own
2. Upgraded to the 72A charger
3. Want the best possible setup (and in the future plan to have multiple (2-3) EV's in the same garage).
4. Still drags his (or her) knuckles on the ground and does not have an electrical engineering degree

I very much appreciate the tremendous amount of work that went into producing that document, and the work that goes into maintaining it. I feel bad that it's above my head and I have to ask for a "dumbed down" version. Thank you!

The simple answer right now is that you want to buy a Wall Connector from Tesla and have it installed on a 100A circuit. Your electrician will know what to install. For a bit more detail, #3 wire and 1" conduit are required for a single 100A circuit feeding a wall connector to maximize the charging current at 72A.

I anticipate Tesla will create a new revision of the wall connector properly sized for 60A and 90A circuits on Model X but that's not available at the moment.

Thank you for the kind words on the FAQ - I agree it's got a higher level of technical detail, it's a matter of trying to find the right balance for the uber-technical folks here and those who need just enough to go forward.