Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dual dash cam in solid roof

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anybody been successful at installing a dual channel dash cam in a non sunroof S?

I have such a setup (BlackVue DR650GW-2CH in an S85D with a body colored roof), but I had it professionally installed, so I couldn’t tell you exactly how it was done. It didn’t seem to be excessively hard, from what I was told at the time.

Bruce.

I did it. There's post on here I followed. most important non obvious thing is to remove the screw that holds the middle side of sun visor, so you can pry the roof liner away from the windshield Rest is easy, except jumping the rear hatch gap.

Where do you run the cable from microphone hole to trunk?
Sorry Been away/busy.

I have the instructions cut and pasted on my desktop, which is now my daughters ... will look, but it was from a post in June 2015 or so.
I disconnected the passenger side sun visor retaining clip, which allows you to pull the roof liner away from the roof and the windshield, and ran it under the roof liner by the windshield over to the A pillar Then down the A pillar to the passenger front door, in the fold around under the rubber door seals, then back to the B pillar, out the rubber seal in the crease in the B pillar back to the rear passenger door rubber seal and so on. C miller liner comes off in the trunk; under that and the heads-restraining airbag to the grommet in the hatchback cover; travel thru there into the hatch etc

I guess I will look for the detailed instructions tomorrow. My summary won't help much, Im afraid

Sorry Been away/busy.

I have the instructions cut and pasted on my desktop, which is now my daughters ... will look, but it was from a post in June 2015 or so.
I disconnected the passenger side sun visor retaining clip, which allows you to pull the roof liner away from the roof and the windshield, and ran it under the roof liner by the windshield over to the A pillar Then down the A pillar to the passenger front door, in the fold around under the rubber door seals, then back to the B pillar, out the rubber seal in the crease in the B pillar back to the rear passenger door rubber seal and so on. C miller liner comes off in the trunk; under that and the heads-restraining airbag to the grommet in the hatchback cover; travel thru there into the hatch etc

I guess I will look for the detailed instructions tomorrow. My summary won't help much, Im afraid
Thx looking forward :)

DIY Dashcam (BlackVue 550 fron&rear) - constant power source from dash

I have done two of these with solid roof. Started at the lift gate grommet on the left side and worked my way back from there towards the removable plastic hand grips at the back of the hatch then forward along the plastic trim next to the back window from there.
Then worked the other way from the grommet to the C pillar forward along the headliner to the 12v power source in the mic grille. Nice clean install, no drilling required.

• Helpful
Reactions: Olle
Just finished my solid roof dual cam install.

As with everything, it is easier second time (had already installed on my glass roof S). First time was probably 3 hrs, this time 1 hr. Fabricating a correct and safely insulated 12V pin connector and dealing with the lift-gate are definitely time eaters.

After removing the R/H visor holder, the wire tucked in nicely along windshield above headliner . Tucked seamlessly from headliner to inside A pillar trim, then above along door seal, above headliner at B pillar, over rear door seal and above headliner all the way from rear door seal to lift gate grommet.
Was almost as easy as the glass roof install all in all. I was lucky with both cars to have 12 V supply above mic grille.