Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dual Fatality Model S Crash/Fire: Fort Lauderdale, FL May 8, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Could anyone speculate why that dark car is there? It has the shiny chrome "Tesla" on the rear and it looks like a Tesla Model X!

According to local news reports:
" witness says she prayed with friends of the victims who were in the car behind the victims and witnessed the crash. She is devastated for the families of the young men who died".

You flood lithium with water, tons of it.

Halon is acceptable for cabin fires. Far safer than CO2. Far more effective than powder. Aqueous foam is another good fire suppressant around humans. That's what I use. It does use CO2 but not a huge amount.
Halon has no effect on a lithium fire. The FAA verified this.
Water cools the battery down enough to stop the thermal runaway.

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo
Just a reminder - you're not using the fire extinguisher to extinguish the fire. You're using the fire extinguisher to clear/cool a path to a person/persons inside the vehicle that may need assistance getting out (and/or extinguishing *them*). A sharp EDC knife is useful to cut seatbelts.

The larger, the better, but anything is better than nothing. Odds are you'll never use an extinguisher for an EV fire - there aren't enough of them on the roads yet. But it is surprising and somewhat disturbing that there are still so many ICE fires.

Thank you. There is a big difference between fire suppression and extinguishing. I have no interest in fighting a fire. If there isn't a person involved any car can sit there and burn for all I care. I'm not interested in saving property, only lives.

And ICE vehicles catch on fire far more than people realize. But usually you have time to get out any passengers before the fire.

You flood lithium with water, tons of it.

Halon is acceptable for cabin fires. Far safer than CO2. Far more effective than powder. Aqueous foam is another good fire suppressant around humans. That's what I use. It does use CO2 but not a huge amount.
Halon has no effect on a lithium fire. The FAA verified this.
Water cools the battery down enough to stop the thermal runaway.

Halon is one of the most effective fire suppressors against lithium ion fires. In fact, the first step the FAA advises for lithium fire is to use a halon fire extinguisher. It is more than capable of extinguishing burning electrolytes but it does not stop thermal runaway. Like I said above, I don't care about putting the fire out fully. Just stopping it enough to get someone out.

https://www.faa.gov/other_visit/avi...afety/safo/all_safos/media/2009/safo09013.pdf

https://www.fire.tc.faa.gov/pdf/sys...0513-ExtinguishmentofLithiumBatteriesrev2.pdf

Last edited:
The worst can and 99.9% of the time does happen when speeding is the case. At 18 you're able to make decisions for yourself. The kid chose to speed and the worst happened.

R.I.Pieces Tesla

Thank you. There is a big difference between fire suppression and extinguishing. I have no interest in fighting a fire. If there isn't a person involved any car can sit there and burn for all I care. I'm not interested in saving property, only lives.

And ICE vehicles catch on fire far more than people realize. But usually you have time to get out any passengers before the fire.

Halon is one of the most effective fire suppressors against lithium ion fires. In fact, the first step the FAA advises for lithium fire is to use a halon fire extinguisher. It is more than capable of extinguishing burning electrolytes but it does not stop thermal runaway. Like I said above, I don't care about putting the fire out fully. Just stopping it enough to get someone out.

https://www.faa.gov/other_visit/avi...afety/safo/all_safos/media/2009/safo09013.pdf

https://www.fire.tc.faa.gov/pdf/sys...0513-ExtinguishmentofLithiumBatteriesrev2.pdf

After actual testing, the FAA changed their policy. You can see it in your second document (first doc is 2009):

FAA 2014

Tests done at the FAA showed that water was effective at extinguishing burning electrolyte from lithium-ion cells as well as stopping the propagation of thermal runaway.

– Halon 1211 was effective in extinguishing burning electrolyte from lithium-ion cells, but was ineffective in stopping the propagation of thermal runaway.

– Halon 1301 was also effective in extinguishing burning electrolyte from lithium-ion cells, but was ineffective in stopping the propagation of thermal runaway.

– Ice was not effective at preventing thermal runaway when placed directly on a laptop keyboard.

Very sad to hear this - heartbreaking.

This is a 30mph road - how fast can they be going? even if double - say 60mph, in one of the safest cars in the world - not able to get out of it alive - is really sad to hear, and scary to think of what-if-I-was-in-there scenarios. I would hope Tesla scientists work harder to innovate on fire-control mechanisms - some (bad) ideas:
* fire-resistant chemistry
* tougher shell to prevent intrusions into battery compartment
* chemicals built into battery case (or situated closely) to spill onto cells in case of intrusion (to delay fire spreads) - e.g. if crash sensors detect severe accidents - and airbags deploy - the fire-retardant chemical container can be opened and spilled onto the battery
* mechanisms to auto-open operational doors/trunks and auto-cut belts (after vehicle comes to rest) to give able occupants higher chance to exit
* have a mechanism to eject the entire battery if car gets airborne (partially or fully) - of course - many corner cases need to be considered...
* most accidents that start fire seem to be due to too-much forward intrusion (hitting tree, hitting wall etc.) - Tesla may want to consider re-positioning the battery cell to have slightly more pushed back (heading into trunk area, instead of front battery cells like in 100KWh packs, may be actually reduce the battery capacity so as not to have cells getting outside of the 4 wheels area
* AP to take action (even if AP is not ON) and force braking (or other maneuvers) to save lives - isn't that the main purpose - AP is designed to make driving safer - so take action - don't just watch the driver hit a wall when AP could have applied brakes?

I don't know. I am just throwing out ideas after reading these really sad news. I am hoping Tesla is innovating here and will build the safest car in the world. May be German makers (MB/Porsche) actually innovate on battery safety and come up with something ahead of Tesla and catch them blindsided. It will be good for the entire industry and a little competition will be healthy for Tesla too.

Last edited:
So sad. My thoughts go out to their loved ones. The worst thing that can happen to me is to lose a child and these people have to live with that nightmare as a reality. I hope they have support to help them through.

May be German makers (MB/Porsche) actually innovate on battery safety and come up with something ahead of Tesla and catch them blindsided. It will be good for the entire industry and a little competition will be healthy for Tesla too.

You have it backwards when it comes to be being blindsided:

Tesla Model S outsells German luxury flagships in Europe

German automakers are the masters of the ICE. They make them better than anyone and they have it down to an art form. They also have no use for, or interest in, batteries at all except to comply with regulators when it comes to compliance vehicles, and to feign interest on an environmental level while at the same time making software to fool regulators and poison the public with diesel, or at least one of those German automakers did that. So to think they will be making safer battery technology is wishful thinking at least in my view. The fact that they haven't even applied for one permit to install a fast charging network anywhere in the world speaks volumes to me about their view on batteries.

After actual testing, the FAA changed their policy. You can see it in your second document (first doc is 2009):

Please link their change in policy. The 2nd document only shows results from tests and nothing about a change in policy.

Tests done at the FAA showed that water was effective at extinguishing burning electrolyte from lithium-ion cells as well as stopping the propagation of thermal runaway.

– Halon 1211 was effective in extinguishing burning electrolyte from lithium-ion cells, but was ineffective in stopping the propagation of thermal runaway.

– Halon 1301 was also effective in extinguishing burning electrolyte from lithium-ion cells, but was ineffective in stopping the propagation of thermal runaway.

– Ice was not effective at preventing thermal runaway when placed directly on a laptop keyboard.

What is your argument here? Halon isn't an effective fire suppressor for lithium fires? Clearly it is effective. It is recommended as first line by the FAA. By the FAA results, it extinguished the electrolyte fire which is the goal of a fire suppressor.

Will it stop thermal runaway and put out a lithium fire? No. But that isn't the goal. And nothing has been stated otherwise.

Fire extinguisher isn't going to do much when you can't get to the source of the fire. By the time interior stuff is lit the fire is big.

I don't know much about this case but seems a tool to smash the back window out or open the hatch without power is what you need to get someone out of one of these with a battery fire.
Of course that takes presence of mind to fold the back seat and climb that way which may be hard immediately after impact, possibly injured etc.

Be interesting to find out just what the crash speed was.

I would imagine that the battery is exposed in most of these accidents where significant enough trauma has happened to cause battery compromise and fire. Either way, a 2.5lb fire extinguisher wouldn't do much against possibly 1500 lbs of fuel.

BTW, I carry one of these in all my vehicles ever since I stopped at a rollover accident which just happened but I wasn't able to get anyone out until someone else stopped who had a hammer.

20180509_210759.jpg

Reactions: EscoguyS75
I would imagine that the battery is exposed in most of these accidents where significant enough trauma has happened to cause battery compromise and fire. Either way, a 2.5lb fire extinguisher wouldn't do much against possibly 1500 lbs of fuel.

BTW, I carry one of these in all my vehicles ever since I stopped at a rollover accident which just happened but I wasn't able to get anyone out until someone else stopped who had a hammer.

View attachment 300038

A tire nut rod ought to smash the window nicely.

Reactions: GatorGuy
Crashes like these are examples why we need to advance to automatous driving.

Not sure we will see all cars on the road have level 5 automatous cars with no driver interferences allowed by Law in our life time.

These kids were more than likely joy riding... and wouldn’t have been sitting lettting a car drive them the speed limit.

NTSB looks into fatal Tesla crash in Florida

Los Angeles Fire Department were vocal about the difficulty of fighting last Tesla fire.

The press has not covered any complaints from fire department from this Florida case so it is strange that NTSB is now soliciting for any fire problem in this Florida case also.

Elon is probably wishing he hadn't pissed off the NTSB and hung up on its chief now.

Had I had access to a quick car at 18yo I probably wouldn't be here today.
Kids do stupid things especially when showing off to friends. Now yes that is a reason to put them in a sturdy car, but also a reason to limit their access to high performance.

These cars are driven by so much software, it seems like it would be pretty easy to have parental controls/locks....no radio, limited acceleration, limited top speed, etc. Would probably take the Tesla intern half a day to do all this. You're welcome, Elon.

Reactions: EscoguyS75
That's right, but a Leaf doesn't burst into battery fire that easily because of safer cell chemistry:

View attachment 299949

2019 Leaf may get as unsafe as NCA, because NCM811 will be used
Indeed on the 1st point.

As for what chemistry the '19 Leaf will use, that's all speculation at this point. AFAIK, Nissan has made no announcements on that topic. They've only said a faster, longer range version for model year 2019.

2018 Nissan LEAF Press Kit says "For those who want more excitement and performance, Nissan will also offer a new higher power, longer range version at a higher price for the 2019 model year."

I was at an EVent at Nissan's Sunnyvale, CA research office in late 2017 (along w/MANY others) where they had a slide up saying 225+ miles of range. I asked the Nissan corporate marketing guy if he could be more specific than model year 2019. He was unwilling to answer that.

60 kWh has been thrown around, which is probably about right.

Years ago, someone did this, which is purportedly a Leaf cell:
Nissan LEAF Battery Cell Destruction Video - NO FIRE - Just A Little Smoke

A post by Charles Whalen at Volt thermal management system temperature band? [Archive] - GM-Volt: Chevy Volt Forum is often cited elsewhere about the safety of various chemistries. It's the one at 10-05-2010, 04:35 PM. Search for unsafe or safer chemistry.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Kant.Ing