Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dual Fatality Model S Crash/Fire: Fort Lauderdale, FL May 8, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm shocked that he didn't lose his license...for at least a year....from the 112 MPH infraction. Especially at 18 years old. If this has been my kid he would have received a nice shiny new bus pass.

Don't you have "licence on probation" in the US?
Here in Europe, if you get your licence, you got "licence on probation" for 2 years.
If you get caught speeding during that period, you can kiss your licence goodbye and go back to driving school.
I think once speeding more than 20km/h above speed limit or twice below 20km/h above speed limit, a DUI or something is enough to lose your licence during probation.

Aunt said after his 112 speeding ticket "he was not reckless behind the wheel and often the designated driver". All I can say is point of view is an interesting study in society"

Long ago as a teen...I was in many cars with friends speeding...others driving or myself and we all did stupid things as teens. Always surprised how we all survived as teens.

My point of view.... If a teen gets speeding ticket for 112 mph...they are reckless. Not sure how someone would think different.

But yes, all teens speed with their friends its nothing unusual. Insurance companies know this...thus the higher price for younger drivers.

Every parent has to make their own decision as to how to handle things.

I was under the impression that any Tesla battery fire takes some time to become a large fire. Does anyone know how long it will take, or did take, in these recent Tesla Crash fires?
The witness said the car was on fire immediately after the impact. The battery (cells) itself will not ignite so fast, but maybe the coolant does?

As i heard, it is ethylene glycol (G48)?

This story has some more details that I haven't seen elsewhere.

Tesla crash victim's aunt says car's maximum speed was 85 mph

“My brother bought the car for my nephew because he wanted Barrett to be safe,” said Pat Riley, of Fort Lauderdale. “He thought other cars were riskier because the gas could cause a fire. How ironic.”

Pat Riley believes that her nephew, who was on his way home from the Galleria mall when he crashed, was trapped after the collision because the electronic doors prevented the victims from exiting.

“You’re stuck,” she said. “The windows don’t go down.”

She said Tesla should install a door handle to allow exits during an emergency.

“It’s ridiculous that in 2018 they are making cars that are plush and modern but not safe,” she said.

Lawsuit in 3...2....1....

When I was an 18 year old I wouldn't have had the balls to go 112 MPH. It wasn't until I was in my mid 20's that I hit that sort of speed, and it was in the Mohave Desert with a road that went on for miles with nobody in sight.

I grew up in Germany. With my driving instructor, we were going >200km/h / 124mph in driving school on the Autobahn age 17.
But I guess that's a different thing than in the US.

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy
I'm begging Tesla...

--- Respond to the "parents had Tesla alter the car so it could not exceed 85mph" statement
--- Pull logs and tell the public how fast this freak was driving

Please do this ASAP

I am not claiming that Tesla could not perform a max speed alteration. Yes, I know they do this with LOANERS.

I am claiming that Tesla would not do this on a CUSTOMER's car based on a REQUEST.

If you know otherwise ---- please feel free to show links / documentation.

This is pure legal shiiiiiite.

European teenagers can handle the responsibility of speed/acceleration like they can handle alcohol.

In the USA === it's no responsibility and SUE SUE SUE!

Well, first, driving licence in Europe is pretty expensive, with rather difficult theoretical and practical exam,
second, you get "licence on probation" for 2 years as a new driver. I explained it here: Dual Fatality Model S Crash/Fire: Fort Lauderdale, FL May 8, 2018

So you don't f*ck around and risk that much as a new driver if you are halfway smart.

Simple Question: Have you seen anyone ever request this on a Tesla Customer car?

I know it's fun to speculate --- sort of like all of the Tesla SUA cases caused by hackers.

Tin Foil Hat ............

Why do you say that? Tesla limits loaner cars to 85 MPH, and apparently the family asked Tesla to apply that same limitation to this Tesla. (Yes, it is sort of a stretch to call changing a setting altering the car, but it really is.)

Sorry if this is already discussed...

--- The SPECIFIC car in which this kid was ticketed (112mph in a 50mph zone in MARCH 2018) is the SAME CAR that the family is now claiming had a -- per their request to Tesla -- 85mph limiter?

I call BS. If daddy contacted a local Service Center with a Special Request, wouldn't it take A WHILE to have something like this received, approved, and performed?

BS

Reactions: Evthusiast
Sorry if this is already discussed...

--- The SPECIFIC car in which this kid was ticketed (112mph in a 50mph zone in MARCH 2018) is the SAME CAR that the family is now claiming had a -- per their request to Tesla -- 85mph limiter?

I call BS. If daddy contacted a local Service Center with a Special Request, wouldn't it take A WHILE to have something like this received, approved, and performed?
You need to pay attention to order of events to understand this.
The family also owns 4 Teslas. We don't know for sure that the car in the crash is the same one he was driving when ticketed. But let's assume that it was. Since this crash happened 2 months after the ticket, it is plausible that the request was honoured. We also don't know that it was completed, just that the aunt says they "asked Tesla to alter the car."
I appreciate your tin-foil hat - it is good to be skeptical. But I don't see a glaring issue here.

I promise you have my full attention.

Seems like a LOT of things would need to click for all of this to work (or kill).

I look forward to official (special aunty doesn't count) word on any actual alterations to top speed; don't care about what might have been requested or wished for after kiddy lost control.

You need to pay attention to order of events to understand this.
The family also owns 4 Teslas. We don't know for sure that the car in the crash is the same one he was driving when ticketed. But let's assume that it was. Since this crash happened 2 months after the ticket, it is plausible that the request was honoured. We also don't know that it was completed, just that the aunt says they "asked Tesla to alter the car."
I appreciate your tin-foil hat - it is good to be skeptical. But I don't see a glaring issue here.