Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dual Fatality Model S Crash/Fire: Fort Lauderdale, FL May 8, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With Malibu, Indianapolis, Baarn crash noone can tell for sure if the driver/passenger was still alive after the impact. The bodies were too much burned for examination.

The Malibu one made more sense because it was a curvy road above a canyon. Plus I don't believe anyone was there to try to pull him out. So it could have been the standard battery incident that started slowly, and gives the person time to exit. A little hard to exit when you're unconscious or physically uncapable of getting out. In any case I don't expect to survive a plunge off a canyon road.

The Indianapolis crash they're not sure how fast it was going. The passenger in the car was taken to hospital, but he died of burns and smoke inhalation.

My understanding of the Baarn crash is it was a 100mph crash.

I'm just not seeing any evidence of a slower speed crash that led to the car immediately exploding. Like if the speed limiter was on there I imagine he would have knocked at least 20mph off the speed before the crash. Unless he completely froze up, and didn't brake at all.

I haven’t seen any evidence that they were trapped by the car which has mechanical door handles. If they were trapped it was from their own medical injuries and couldn’t move themselves though their own doors or whatever exit the rider who was ejected exited from.

We don't know that, it is possible that the body got malformed in such a way that the doors couldn't be opened without the "jaws of life". That happens all the time in cars with fully manual door release mechanisms.

Reactions: dhanson865
Is the following point - in part or whole - known, or just assumed:

• Front left/right windows were in rolled-up position AND remained unbroken after accident prior to two deaths.
What part of the vehicle did the rear passenger eject?

If the rear passenger was ejected, would this suggest that - had front passengers survived the initial impact - they could have exited the car through point of rear passenger ejection?

I’m struggling to envision a conscious - yet injured - teenager NOT being able to exit a car.

If the impact was with such force so as to eject the REAR passenger - how would all windows have remained intact - and rolled-up - to prevent an exit.

I believe those two front persons were unconscious after impact.

I would take anything their trailing friends say as cover.

Would love to get log data from the trailing X, as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: MP3Mike
How fast were the special kiddies driving to witness the crash and aftermath?
Evidently not fast enough to put them in the lead. If the Model X hadn't been in the mix, there might not have been any fatalities. Decades of auto crashes have all had there share of showboating or dueling teens coming up short behind the wheel.

“My brother bought the car for my nephew because he wanted Barrett to be safe,” said Pat Riley, of Fort Lauderdale. “He thought other cars were riskier because the gas could cause a fire. How ironic.”

Pat Riley believes that her nephew, who was on his way home from the Galleria mall when he crashed, was trapped after the collision because the electronic doors prevented the victims from exiting.

“You’re stuck,” she said. “The windows don’t go down.”

She said Tesla should install a door handle to allow exits during an emergency.

“It’s ridiculous that in 2018 they are making cars that are plush and modern but not safe,” she said.

Lawsuit in 3...2....1....
You should install a brick through the window, if have have time to say you're stuck...

Also wasn't the front window gone.(due to the 2nd passenger being ejected?).... when this happened to me as a teen I crawled out through the shattered windshield (that was blown out on impact) because the door of the truck wouldn't open, both my arms where broken (pre-airbag) and I broke several ribs and my clavicle on left side (seat belt broke it)...couldn't believe I survived the impact... the 2x4's in the bed of the truck came through the bed and the seat an into the dash and some blew out the front window....somehow, everything missed me...later realized that an old style metal cooler with ice in it was behind me in the bed of the truck and thats what saved me from being impaled by the 2 x 4 boards... thank god I bought bottles of beer that day and not cans.... (this was a long time ago).... they stopped the 2x4;s from impacting me in the kidney's... the tree that I hit at 55 MPH never moved... and it folded the truck in half (broke the frame)... engine was inside the passenger compartment next to me, I still remember the smell of my arm burning against it... never ever forgot that... I feel for the parents - I hope they realize this isn't their fault and it's just the no fear age for those young men. Every parents nightmare... so sorry for your loss.. They need a teen driver mode similar to Valet with active reporting of speed and location to the parents. (kinda like enhanced valet mode)

Next fatal fiery crash near Bellinzona:
blob.jpg

Pat Riley believes that her nephew, who was on his way home from the Galleria mall when he crashed, was trapped after the collision because the electronic doors prevented the victims from exiting.

“You’re stuck,” she said. “The windows don’t go down.”

She said Tesla should install a door handle to allow exits during an emergency.

“It’s ridiculous that in 2018 they are making cars that are plush and modern but not safe,” she said.

Lawsuit in 3...2....1....

umm, a 2014 Model S has door handles that will work in an emergency. Tesla doesn't have to install one because it already had one.

"Emergency Responder's Guide, page 23, says front doors can be opened from inside without power just by pulling the door handle."
HELP! I'm trapped inside my car! I can't get out! HELP!

Sir, did you try the handle?

Oh... Thanks.
from How to open front doors from inside during power loss?

What can occur with power loss is the window remaining up after the door handle is pulled. The result feels as if the door is still locked. The person could push harder on the door to force the window from the rubber seal.
also from How to open front doors from inside during power loss?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: emorog
Using the word "more" would imply that the Leaf is "exciting and has performance"....since when LOL

It's got better performance than a 4 cylinder Nissan Sentra, Heck the 2005 Prius had better performance than the 4 cylinder Sentra. The Leaf has better performance than most econoboxes because most of them have 4 cylinder engines tuned for efficiency not power.

Kind of an immutable law of performance, even a crappy EV has better performance than a mediocre gas car.

Last edited:
Reactions: pilotSteve