Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dual Motor 19" Wheel Owners Poll On Tesla Recommended Tire Pressure

What tire pressure(s) does Tesla currently recommend for your dual motor Model S?

• 35 psi

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 40 psi

• 45 psi

Votes: 30 53.6%
  • 50 psi

Votes: 14 25.0%
  • 55 psi

• 35 psi or 40 psi (either are fine)

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • 40 psi or 45 psi (either are fine)

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • 45 psi or 50 psi (either are fine)

Votes: 8 14.3%
  • 50 psi or 55 psi (either are fine)

Votes: 2 3.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Andyw2100

Oct 22, 2014
Ithaca, NY
This is a poll for owners of dual motor Model S vehicles (P85D, 85D, 70D) with 19" wheels. If you own one of these vehicles, please select what you believe the current Tesla recommended tire pressure for your car's 19" tires is, (assuming you are using tires that you purchased from Tesla, at the time you purchased your car.)

Please don't look anything up or do any research on the forums before answering. The purpose of this poll is to see how well or how poorly Tesla is getting information out to its owners, not to see how easily people can look information up. You won't be graded! In fact, if there is a way to anonymize the answers when I set the poll up, I will do that.

Thanks!

Last edited:
For me, it's 42 PSI. It's what is listed on the sticker in my door jamb (and, no, I didn't go look it up, I'm a stickler for proper tire inflation and I know it by memory). Since I didn't see that in the poll I didn't respond to the poll.

Mike

For me, it's 42 PSI. It's what is listed on the sticker in my door jamb (and, no, I didn't go look it up, I'm a stickler for proper tire inflation and I know it by memory). Since I didn't see that in the poll I didn't respond to the poll.

Mike

Yes, I should have specified 19" tires in the poll. I'll edit that now, and also see about getting a moderator to edit the thread title to fix my mistake.

I'm hoping people will answer the poll before reading this far.

I started the poll because Tesla seems to have changed their "official" recommendation for tire pressure for 19" tires on the Ds more than once now, and, in my opinion, has done a pretty poor job of communicating this information out to the owners of the affected vehicles. (I don't think they've actually done anything to get the information out to the owners directly.) Once this poll has a good number of responses, I plan to show it to the appropriate person or people at Tesla, in the hope that it may result in better communication for all of us in the future.

I included the very wrong pressures--tire pressures Tesla has never recommended for 19" tires on the Ds--hoping few people will choose them. I'm hoping to be able to demonstrate that the majority of owners --do-- care about this stuff, and --are-- reasonably well informed, but need to be kept informed when recommendations change. If I had only included the two pressures that Tesla has actually recommended for 19" wheels on the Ds I'd be skewing the results.

Last edited:

Mike

I'm a stickler for this too. 42s all around on my Volt. But at least my Volt can tell me what the PSI is in each tire though . . . (sigh)

I have 21" tires and know that the sticker on the door jamb says 42 psi.
Interestingly, I had my car serviced a couple of weeks ago and the service center "adjusted tire pressure to 45 psi on front and rear tires", according to the invoice.

My sticker says 50, but from discussion in a thread on the teslamotors forum, apparently they now recommend 45 again.
My car is going in next week for a 12V battery replacement. I plan to ask about it at that time.

I really wasn't trying to start a discussion of the correct pressure in this thread. I was really just trying to highlight the fact that Tesla needs to communicate this stuff to us better.

Since we have the two of you writing, though...

85D delivered a month ago. 19" tires. 45.

My sticker says 50, but from discussion in a thread on the teslamotors forum, apparently they now recommend 45 again.
My car is going in next week for a 12V battery replacement. I plan to ask about it at that time.

WillAustin--What does your sticker say, and exactly when did you take delivery? If your sticker says 45psi then we can pinpoint the switch back to 45 from 50 to having occured some time between the time you two (WillAustin and Barry) took delivery, which sounds like it would be roughly some time between April 7 and May 1.

Also can you tell, WillAustin, if your sticker may be stuck on top of another sticker? I'm thinking that even if the car has a 45psi sticker, it may have been built with a 50psi sticker, and then had a 45psi sticker put on over that later in the production process, or by the service center.

I've been running 50 all around on my 85D since Mar 29 delivery, and that's what the door says. If they've indeed changed the recommendation, I'm very interested as to why.

I'm interested in why they changed it to 50 from 45, when they changed it back to 45, and like you, why. And most importantly, I'm interested in knowing why they can't disseminate this information to us via email. I'm hoping to be able to demonstrate the need for them to do this via this survey, but more people need to respond first.

Last edited:
I'm interested in why they changed it to 50 from 45, why they changed it back to 45, when they changed it back to 45, and, like you, why. And most importantly, I'm interested in knowing why they can't disseminate this information to us via email. I'm hoping to be able to demonstrate the need for them to do this via this survey, but more people need to respond first.

Yup. As a side note, this is the first I've heard of this change.

My 85D says 50 psi on the sticker.I have been running at 50 psi since delivery March 3. I also called service a day after delivery and confirmed 50 psi. If we are supposed to be at a lower psi it would be nice to hear from them.

My 85D says 50 psi on the sticker.I have been running at 50 psi since delivery March 3. I also called service a day after delivery and confirmed 50 psi. If we are supposed to be at a lower psi it would be nice to hear from them.

Yes, that's my point.

Every indication is that Tesla is now recommending 45 PSI. New vehicles have door stickers that state the recommended pressure is 45 psi, and the service centers are inflating to 45 psi.

As an early P85D owner, my door sticker recommends 45 psi. We heard it through the grapevine when Tesla made the change to 50 psi, just as we are now hearing it through the grapevine that they have changed back.

I'm interested in why they changed it to 50 from 45, when they changed it back to 45, and like you, why. And most importantly, I'm interested in knowing why they can't disseminate this information to us via email. I'm hoping to be able to demonstrate the need for them to do this via this survey, but more people need to respond first.

Unless you are compulsive about pressure, they'll likely be at 45 more often than not anyway.

Unless you are compulsive about pressure, they'll likely be at 45 more often than not anyway.

Hey, I've been paying attention to a lot of what you've been writing about tire pressure. I guess maybe I've become pretty compulsive!

Edit: And the proof...

Screenshot_2015-06-02-19-50-37.png

(I have not yet adjusted back down to 45 psi, as I'm still trying to get confirmation that this is really the current Tesla recommendation, though I expect it is.)

Last edited:

How long did that 12V battery last and do they replace it under the 4 year warranty (free)?

- - - Updated - - -

Hey, I've been paying attention to a lot of what you've been writing about tire pressure. I guess maybe I've become pretty compulsive!

Edit: And the proof...

(I have not yet adjusted back down to 45 psi, as I'm still trying to get confirmation that this is really the current Tesla recommendation, though I expect it is.)

AndyW2100, is this the Tesla APP (not virtual Tesla or visible Tesla or some aftermarket third party app)?

Remember too that the pressures will be 2-3 PSI higher after the tires warm up. I believe the recommended pressures are at "cold" or ambient temperatures.

Hi my 85d is 5800lbs and has Michelins that has a max tire pressure of 51psi written on the tire, that don't leave much for heat build up if TM says to put 50psi in them . that is the reason they went to 45psi. that is till to hard for me. the same tire on my truck would have 30psi. I think I am going to try 40psi and see if that makes a difference in mileage and softer ride.

Hi my 85d is 5800lbs and has Michelins that has a max tire pressure of 51psi written on the tire, that don't leave much for heat build up if TM says to put 50psi in them . that is the reason they went to 45psi. that is till to hard for me. the same tire on my truck would have 30psi. I think I am going to try 40psi and see if that makes a difference in mileage and softer ride.

The maximum tire pressure on the side of the tire is the maximum "cold" tire pressure. The manufacturer expects that if you inflate to that pressure in the morning before the car is driven or has sat in the sun it is okay when heat build up exceeds that pressure. This is from The Tire Rack website:

A tire's maximum inflation pressure is the highest "cold" inflation pressure that the tire is designed to contain. However the tire's maximum inflation pressure should only be used when called for on the vehicle's tire placard or in the vehicle's owners manual. It is also important to remember that the vehicle's recommended tire inflation pressure is always to be measured and set when the tire is "cold." Cold conditions are defined as early in the morning before the day's ambient temperature, sun's radiant heat or the heat generated while driving have caused the tire pressure to temporarily increase.