Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dual Motor AWD with standard battery ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
95041c29-d3dc-4fd7-b0cf-56c5744fa0cf.jpg

Hi Everyone, I have pre ordered Model 3 and I want to choose Dual Motor AWD.

Would AWD dual motor comes with Standard Battery ? I have see in youtube where they could choose standard or Long range battery. Well do i have wait for few more months to get an option to choose standard battery or long range?

"a few months", that may prove optimistic.
They may sell the RWD SR car before the D SR one, to prove a point. Lots of criticism regarding them promoting a $35K (really $36K) car, and then only make a $49K+ one, and now the even more expensive options before the simpler ones.

Do you want to spend $9K for the larger battery, and $5K for the premium package, on top of the $5K second motor?

"a few months", that may prove optimistic.
They may sell the RWD SR car before the D SR one, to prove a point. Lots of criticism regarding them promoting a $35K (really $36K) car, and then only make a $49K+ one, and now the even more expensive options before the simpler ones.

Do you want to spend $9K for the larger battery, and $5K for the premium package, on top of the $5K second motor?

Thats true, I was really excited to get 35K car when it was initially announced in 2016 as its within my budget range.

I am waiting for purchase it without choosing $9K larger battery and $5K premium package and I would really want to wait for $5K second motor which gets me total of $39K + one, but I am afraid that the tax incentives might be over before AWD Options are all available.

Reading in a few blogs I see that full $7500 tax incentives might be over by end of 2018 and am not sure when AWD is available with selecting/ Unselecting Premium options for me.

I am afraid that the tax incentives might be over before AWD Options are all available.

Reading in a few blogs I see that full $7500 tax incentives might be over by end of 2018 and am not sure when AWD is available with selecting/ Unselecting Premium options for me
AWD w/ full $7.5k credit will likely be available only to day 1 and day 2 reservations, although if they really ramp up, they might be close to covering all AWD U.S. reservations in 2018.
If you want SR w/ $7.5k credit, that is very unlikely to happen, although a few day 1 reservations may get to see it in 2018.
If you want SR, most likely you'll be looking at half the credit $3.75k in 2019.

Probably available at same time as the SR.
so its around early 2019. Its a tough decision to make whether to wait for standard AWD or to buy first production.

AWD w/ full $7.5k credit will likely be available only to day 1 and day 2 reservations, although if they really ramp up, they might be close to covering all AWD U.S. reservations in 2018.
If you want SR w/ $7.5k credit, that is very unlikely to happen, although a few day 1 reservations may get to see it in 2018.
If you want SR, most likely you'll be looking at half the credit $3.75k in 2019.

Its really helpful.Thanks for estimation. I ran few numbers and looks like these are my options and its a tough call to make :)

I live in texas currently. Is AWD worth waiting? i never had a AWD.

First production 49K - 7.5K = 41.5K ( RWD + Long range ) -- NOW
AWD = 54K - 7.5k = 46.5K ( AWD + long range ) - Possibly in Dec
AWD = 40K + 5K ( premium package ) - 3.5K ( incentives ) = 41.5K ( AWD + standard Range ) in early 2019
RWD standard = 35K +5K ( premium package) - 3.5K ( incentives ) = 36.5K ( RWD + standard ) in early 2019

I wonder if the battery in the SR version can support dual motors at the level of performance that is expected out of a Tesla.

Why wouldn't it? The SR isn't as high performance as the LR is in RWD, so I would expect the same to hold true for the AWD versions.

Remember there was an AWD S60- a battery not much bigger than the one in the Model 3 SR but in a much heavier car.

Why wouldn't it? The SR isn't as high performance as the LR is in RWD, so I would expect the same to hold true for the AWD versions.

Remember there was an AWD S60- a battery not much bigger than the one in the Model 3 SR but in a much heavier car.

The S60 did not have Model 3 level acceleration, and had a bigger battery (in theory).

It might be OK. But remember that the smaller the battery, the more durable it must be because it will have to cycle more.

In other words, 8 year warranty concerns might come into play if the charge/discharge rates are higher.

If I were keeping the car 8 years, I would think the extra $90/m might be good insurance and faster SC charging. And I think I'd get a % of it back on resale.

Last edited:
You live in Houston. Why do you think you need AWD? If you’re looking to spend extra money above the base price, the long range battery will be much more useful than AWD.

well I thought about it. I could stretch up to 5K from base 35K. so i might be choosing either premium Package 5K or Long Range battery ( 9K)

would Long range battery be better than Premium Package? I Know these two options are completely different and cannot be comparable. If you were to choose one which would you suggest?

well I thought about it. I could stretch up to 5K from base 35K. so i might be choosing either premium Package 5K or Long Range battery ( 9K)

would Long range battery be better than Premium Package? I Know these two options are completely different and cannot be comparable. If you were to choose one which would you suggest?

I would look at the federal tax credit expiration as well when you factor in the options available... that extra 3750 might go a long way towards a 5k option if you are borderline going to miss the credit... We also don't know when the non PUP will be available as there hasn't been any mention or leaks of any cars produced non PUP as far as i'm aware. If you don't have the option to configure yet I wouldn't fret about it too much until you are in the hot seat. Just be prepared to spend more than you were originally thinking if you want to take advantage of the full tax credit.

In my opinion the long range battery would be more useful in the long run if you can live without the PUP as LR makes the car faster, less frequent/faster(more powerful) supercharing on roadtrips, probably longer battery lifetime due to less charging cycles for degradation etc. more "future proofed" for overall EV range. Lots and lots of practical benefits except the additional cost of course...

LR has couple of advantages besides the range- faster charging and a bit of insurance against cold weather, which may reduce the range up to 30%. That is in addition to 10-20% that you won't have if you follow recommendation to charge to 80-90% to prolong the battery life.
In Texas you likely don't need to worry about the cold, so this is not an important factor. Speculations about resale value due to bigger battery are just that. I think if you keep the car long enough, you'll lose 90% of investment anyway, so at that point few extra dollars won't be much of a relief.
Range might be helpful if you take a lot of road trips, otherwise for local commute SR will be enough.

PUP is something to use daily - trim, audio, glass roof. Personally, I want glass roof b/c I never experienced it before. :)

The S60 did not have Model 3 level acceleration

That's true. It had faster acceleration (than the RWD SR model 3)

5.5 for the S60, and 5.2 for the S60D, versus 5.6 for the RWD SR model 3.

And it was 1000 lbs heavier than the RWD model 3.

So I remain unclear why you think the much lighter Model 3 with AWD would have a problem?

, and had a bigger battery (in theory).

Well, marginally... though an older, and less efficient one. I expect the weight difference would make a lot more difference in acceleration though.

It might be OK. But remember that the smaller the battery, the more durable it must be because it will have to cycle more.

In other words, 8 year warranty concerns might come into play if the charge/discharge rates are higher.

Might. But then again the size difference SR vs LR is a lot less than between that S60 and the biggest Model S battery today, and the S60 guys seem to still be fine.

Not to mention, folks buying the SR probably aren't going to be drag racing the car a ton anyway with high discharge rates- speed demons would've gone for the quicker LR model (or the P if they could afford it)

If I were keeping the car 8 years, I would think the extra $90/m might be good insurance and faster SC charging. And I think I'd get a % of it back on resale.

A percentage? Sure. The rest is money you just set on fire if you don't care about SC rate or the range/0-60 differences.

I personally wouldn't buy one, but I can think of tons of folks who would do so... especially in the northeast where they're likely not driving huge distances often, but might get real-world benefit of AWD (and snow tires) in the winter.

I can’t help but think that the SR AWD combo may never be built.
I hope I’m wrong . They did make S70D

Build I want Is current LR AWD PUP paint and wheels $61,500

Build I can afford and or should buy
SR AWD , paint , wheels maybe PUP $48,500

Numbers don’t seen to match up not sure what’s wrong there should be a 9,000 difference between
SR AWD and LR AWD

I can’t help but think that the SR AWD combo may never be built.
I hope I’m wrong . They did make S70D

Build I want Is current LR AWD PUP paint and wheels $61,500

Build I can afford and or should buy
SR AWD , paint , wheels maybe PUP $48,500

Numbers don’t seen to match up not sure what’s wrong there should be a 9,000 difference between
SR AWD and LR AWD
You are double counting the PUP.