Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dual motor coming before SR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like dual motor is coming before RWD SR. Dual motor will be offered in both SR and LR.
I say this because my delivery estimator just had big changes.
I made my reservation as a non-owner, 3/31/16 online order from Chicago.
Earlier today, my estimates were:
First Production: Feb - April 2018
Standard Battery: Mid 2018
Dual Motor: Sep - Dec 2018

Now they are....

Attachments

• B579FFF0-4855-4B60-8D60-A8587E7BC1C4.png
    B579FFF0-4855-4B60-8D60-A8587E7BC1C4.png
    147.8 KB · Views: 120
Looks like dual motor is coming before RWD SR. Dual motor will be offered in both SR and LR.
I say this because my delivery estimator just had big changes.
I made my reservation as a non-owner, 3/31/16 online order from Chicago.
Earlier today, my estimates were:
First Production: Feb - April 2018
Standard Battery: Mid 2018
Dual Motor: Sep - Dec 2018

Now they are....
Agreed. My DM LR just went to mid 2018

Last edited:
I wrote this longer in the other thread but...

Based on the earnings call, I bet this is due to the battery line issues, and the delay they have had automating the LR battery line.

It will be easier and cheaper to configure the factory without major bottlenecks for AWD than to build two brand new automated battery lines at the same time.

Interestingly, under the dual motor option it says "Choice of 220 or 310 mile range." It would be fantastic if SR AWD was opened up along with LR AWD.

They will not open up SR until they've sold every last LR battery they can. SR might be tied to AWD when it first opens, if they're really looking to milk every last dollar possible; but, I would NOT expect SR and LR AWD to become available at the same time.

For me, both SR and AWD now show "Late 2018". California, day-1, line-waiter, non-owner. Also, as noted by others elsewhere, the delivery estimator selection defaults to the AWD model now. Even if you select first production or SR and save your selection, it will change back to AWD the next time you go back in to the estimator.

Last edited:
My reservation just slipped to late 2018 such that I would not get the full Federal tax rebate. I cancelled.

To be fair no one knows at this point exactly when the US Federal tax credit will start phasing out. It looks like Tesla may have decided to ship cars internationally to Canada as many Canadians have posted that their reservation estimates were actually pulled forward to mid 2018.

It looks like Tesla might be doing this to divert cars from the US market until they can ramp up to their 5000 / week production goal to be able than to return to delivering cars in the US market and thereby not hitting the phase out milestone for the tax credit in the US. This way they ccould pump out thousands of more cars to customers in the US in that later quarter then they could have in Q2 or Q3.

End result, more people actually get the US Federal Tax Credit.

My reservation just slipped to late 2018 such that I would not get the full Federal tax rebate. I cancelled.

I will buy a Hyundai Kona electric SUV with full rebate instead.

OK, so all there has been is a press release from Hyundai Europe saying that such a car should exist someday. Missing is any details of price, release dates, whether it's even coming to the US, etc.

Sounds like a solid plan.

I will buy a Hyundai Kona electric SUV with full rebate instead.

Hey Tesla,
This guy has two of your vehicles and just cancelled. Why lose customers for life over dishonest product promises. Seriously the dual motor will be available with SR before single motor? $35K was a big lie, the car is never happening. I am totally disgusted with the Tesla's lack of ethics. If my last name was Tesla, I would sue. ;)

• Disagree
Reactions: preilly44
I like the SUV format better than a sedan. Hyundai is taking reservations in S Korea already for a fall launch. Unlike Tesla, other car companies tend to deliver quickly and avoid vaporware in predictable annual cycles. So long as I have an AWD before the snow hits hard in about a year, I will be happy. I bet it will be about half the cost of a Model 3 with the tax rebate.

• Disagree
Reactions: preilly44
I like the SUV format better than a sedan. Hyundai is taking reservations in S Korea already for a fall launch. Unlike Tesla, other car companies tend to deliver quickly and avoid vaporware in predictable annual cycles. So long as I have an AWD before the snow hits hard in about a year, I will be happy. I bet it will be about half the cost of a Model 3 with the tax rebate.

Actually, my experience is that when it comes to electric cars, other car companies tend to always disappoint. I'll be shocked if you can get one before you could get a Model 3.