Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dual motor efficiency

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So in pondering my option choices I am leaning heavily towards single motor for my MIII. I would rather spend the money on SC, AP and cold weather packages.

Other than the obvious traction and performance enhancements that AWD gives, is there an efficiency difference between RWD and AWR for a tesla? Is it better to run a single motor at a higher workload or two at lower? I think I remember something about the front motor not being used during highway driving on AWD S's?

My apologies if this has been covered to death. I did search the forum first and mostly got threads on TSLA stock. Thanks:)

70% of braking force is generated by the front axle. With a single motor M3 you will be wasting all of this as heat on a traditional brake disk, with a D you will be able to recoup some of it. Also, the regen will be much better as it will feel a lot more like traditional braking as opposed to a [not-so] gentle E-brake tug. I'm sure the Model S owners can chime in as to actual numbers.

IIRC, in a dual motor Tesla, each motor has different performance and efficiency curves. For example, the front motor is better at top speed but the rear motor is better at acceleration - so the software leverages those benefits in management operations of the car (this is just an example and possibly not factually correct, but this concept is my point).

• Informative
Reactions: LectrikPower
For Wisconsin and anywhere that snows I'd recommend AWD for safety's sake. If it's less than $5K extra and you have at minimum a year and a half to save for it, I'd say try to make it work.

Sure you can get by with RWD, but why? Do you plan on anyone else driving it?

70% of braking force is generated by the front axle. With a single motor M3 you will be wasting all of this as heat on a traditional brake disk, with a D you will be able to recoup some of it. Also, the regen will be much better as it will feel a lot more like traditional braking as opposed to a [not-so] gentle E-brake tug. I'm sure the Model S owners can chime in as to actual numbers.

The regen braking with a single motor is pretty robust even for a car as heavy as the Model S. I have a single motor and I rarely use my friction brakes (really just emergency braking and upon final approach to a stop the last few yards). Thus I don't see the additional motor having a great benefit in terms of efficiencies in braking in typical use. The improvements come in with power output where there is a more efficient use of 2 motors in tandem than a single motor (something about torque, sleep etc, I'm not an EE so I'll leave the technical particulars to someone else!)

For Wisconsin and anywhere that snows I'd recommend AWD for safety's sake. If it's less than $5K extra and you have at minimum a year and a half to save for it, I'd say try to make it work.

Sure you can get by with RWD, but why? Do you plan on anyone else driving it?

Yes, my wife will be driving it as well. She is an excellent driver:)
For reference, my 02 Mazda Protege5 was the only car we had for a few years. Granted it was front wheel drive but it has no ABS or traction control and a manual transmission. She commuted 40 minutes each way year round rain sleet and blizzard and did great. I'm not saying it was ideal but she is a pro. Our Kia Serento is front wheel drive but it is an SUV and has ABS and decent traction control? Obviously AWD would be better but I'm not convinced it is totally necessary.

I will have to see what the final price difference will be if I go with the D. Like I said I would rather spend the money on the other options. Maybe I can have it all, we shall see.

Has anyone compared the Telsa S AWD vs RWD? I currently drive an i3 and the one thing I don't like is that when you are using regen, and come into a tight corner, the regen can reduce or stop altogether (especially in the wet) to prevent the rear wheels dragging. For me just that on its own is enough to want me to go AWD, thought I'd want to check it will actually do what I want first!

Based on what what Tesla states on their website for the S, duel motors adds 6 miles of EPA range, and reduces 0-60 times by 0.3 seconds. Not to mention better handling. Considering Tesla is charging 3 grand for a 15 mile increase in range, and we know the duel motor on the 3 will be less than 5 grand (I think it will be 4 grand most likely), I'd venture to say that duel motors will be the most no-brainer option on this car.

So in pondering my option choices I am leaning heavily towards single motor for my MIII. I would rather spend the money on SC, AP and cold weather packages.

Other than the obvious traction and performance enhancements that AWD gives, is there an efficiency difference between RWD and AWR for a tesla? Is it better to run a single motor at a higher workload or two at lower? I think I remember something about the front motor not being used during highway driving on AWD S's?

My apologies if this has been covered to death. I did search the forum first and mostly got threads on TSLA stock. Thanks:)

Given your geographical location dual motor is the only safe choice. Coming from Quattro I can confidently say the Model S AWD is excellent, mixed with Michelin X-Ice X-Green low rolling resistance (less energy use) tires winters are a breeze here in Ohio.

Based on what what Tesla states on their website for the S, duel motors adds 6 miles of EPA range, and reduces 0-60 times by 0.3 seconds. Not to mention better handling. Considering Tesla is charging 3 grand for a 15 mile increase in range, and we know the duel motor on the 3 will be less than 5 grand (I think it will be 4 grand most likely), I'd venture to say that duel motors will be the most no-brainer option on this car.
Note that the efficiency gain is for highway travel. Stop and start driving will be less efficient. Frunk space is also lost. Either of these may or may not be important to you.

Frunk space is also lost.
That's certainly the case with the S/X, but not a given with the 3. They may opt to have a single frunk size and leave the RWD cars with unused volume between the axles.

Having said that, it does look like the frunk could expand rearward based on this picture.
model-3-frunk.jpg