TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Blog Dual-Motor Model 3 Spotted in San Francisco

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by TMC Staff, Feb 28, 2018.

1. TMC Staff

While Tesla says the dual-motor version of the Model 3 won’t be available until late 2018, at least one such vehicle has been spotted in the wild. Tesla podcaster Ryan McCaffrey posted a photo to Twitter that shows a Model 3 with VIN 5YJ3E1EB3JF008370. The red Model 3 with 19-inch Sport Wheels also had manufacturer plates....
    READ FULL ARTICLE

• Like x 1
  2. Cloxxki

Cloxxki Member

How much later than the first single motor is it? ;-)

3. Kanting

Kanting Member

#3 Kanting, Feb 28, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
    OMG, it's coming. 2 years with you is like 2 decades!

Edit: Without.

4. Buddyroe

Buddyroe Member

I thought Tesla is saying the AWD will be out in mid '18? Not late '18 right?

• Like x 1
  5. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

That's what my reservation screen says right now.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  6. Buddyroe

Buddyroe Member

Yea, mine too.

Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive Mid '18

It's the SR with PUP that's due to be out in late 2018.

7. commasign

commasign Tesla Superfan

Mid-2018 for me. Day 1 line-waiter, owner. Really hoping Performance Dual Motor will be available at same time.

• Like x 2
  8. ELECTRIC4ME

ELECTRIC4ME Member

From the linked article, more clarity:
    [​IMG]

• Informative x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  9. voip-ninja

voip-ninja Give me some sugar baby

SCHWEEEEEEET!!!!

10. Lloyd

Lloyd Well-Known Member

In error is the "Late 2018" comment. My delivery for the dual motor model 3 is slated for Mid 2018. We will see if they can deliver.

11. Cloxxki

Cloxxki Member

Likely $55K for dual motor, then another HEFTY premium for Performance ($30-40K on Model S/X?), while so far Tesla make sure the 3 underperforms current similar S...why not just get a Model S with its soon expected interior refresh? ;-)

12. FlyNavy01

FlyNavy01 Member

It won't be a 40k premium on the Model 3 and not everyone wants a slower/bigger car for the same money.

13. Cloxxki

Cloxxki Member

I can agree to both. The point of getting a Model 3 that costs closer to 100K and for that reason is competing to a S100D, is beyond me. I liked the idea of the Model 3, but when price, range and performance start to enter the same ball park, 3PD vs S100D, I wonder why one would take the car without second screen, tiny frunk and trunk, impractical back door, etc.
    P at Tesla costs so much, and will surely be needed for 3 to get alongside S100D performance wise.
    Should Tesla throw in P for $5K extra on top of the $5K for D, and the thing does pull harder than S100D, I can see the point of that $60K 3. $70K in a color with drive assist features, if I can carelessly afford that, I'll just get an S100D and tick so many more boxes.
    I'm a performance nut actually, and was hoping irrationally that Model 3 would be allowed to get similar drivetrains to Model S, and then pull ahead by being lots smaller and lighter. It ended up only a tiny bit smaller, with lots smaller cargo space somehow. In my mind, they could have allowed 100kWh in the 3. They found a way to keep it smaller despite the new cells,a and the cargo space smaller despite the motors being brought inward.
    What I hoped for the 3, seems to have been chosen for the New Roadster, and then some. Really lots of battery and motor for a smaller car. Whereas Model S and X are the best they could design, 3 seems to be the least they could sell at such prices and maintain a half million pcs orderbook. S and X are more important than most of us expected. Don't expect a Model 3 that can challenge S100D for acceleration and range. 334 mi downpromised to 310 is not a coincidence.

14. LCR1

LCR1 Member

Who's holding out for the P3D?

• Funny x 1
  15. Beckler

Beckler Member

In Chrome at least that page keeps reloading itself; can't read it. Have seen same on that blog for months; wth?

16. Brandon332

Brandon332 Member

I had the same problem. The refresh button on Chrome remains as the "X", and if you click the X it stops.

17. commasign

commasign Tesla Superfan

Or one of each. Refreshed Model S P100D for me and a Model 3 P75D for the Mrs. :)

• Like x 1
  18. voip-ninja

voip-ninja Give me some sugar baby

Musk is on the record saying that AWD on the 3 will be less than it was for S, so it should come in at less than $5K but we'll see.

My gut says it will be $4500.

• Helpful x 1
  19. FlyNavy01

FlyNavy01 Member

#19 FlyNavy01, Feb 28, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
    I certainly understand your points. There are likely just two different lines of thinking, and I firmly fall in the smaller/lighter car category than the ultra heavy straight-line power monster that is the Model S. I've been planning on the Performance 3 since day one, and if I can get it for $80k or less I'll order it in a heartbeat, regardless of Model S options at the time. This is why my configurator maintains sitting ready to order until we get more information on AWD options.

Virtually all cars in this class have a performance version that costs more than the higher end category (BMW M3 vs. 5 series, etc.) and I don't think the Model 3 will be an exception. If the P Model 3 can have similar performance to the original P85D (low 3's 0-60 time) for ~$75k, it will be MUCH more fun to drive due to the fact that it's nearly 1000lbs (400kg) less mass. I prefer driving my cars and don't really have any desire to spend more for extra luxury options like an extra screen or power trunk that the model S offers.

• Like x 1
  20. Ulmo

Ulmo Active Member

Yes. Some people show Mid 2018 and some people show Late 2018. Since I bought a Tesla Model S, I had early configuration available. I am angling for the Dual Motor. I have two reservations. One says Mid this year and one says Late this year for Dual Motors. Notice that Tesla gives higher priority to higher cost Model 3 configurations, and lower priority to lower cost Model 3 configurations, in every case.
    Screen Shot 2018-02-28 at 4.43.40 PM edit.png

• Informative x 2