Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Dual-Motor Model 3 Spotted in San Francisco

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While Tesla says the dual-motor version of the Model 3 won’t be available until late 2018, at least one such vehicle has been spotted in the wild.

Tesla podcaster Ryan McCaffrey posted a photo to Twitter that shows a Model 3 with VIN 5YJ3E1EB3JF008370. The red Model 3 with 19-inch Sport Wheels also had manufacturer plates.

That particular VIN was registered on January 20. And the dual-motor designation can be deciphered using a document Tesla sent to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Digit 8 indicates the Motor/Drive Unit.

Digit 8: Motor/Drive Unit

1= Single Motor – Standard

3= Single Motor – Performance

2 = Dual Motor (standard)

4 = Dual Motor (performance)

A= Single Motor – Standard

B= Dual Motor – Standard

The Model 3 spotted by McCaffrey appears to be a standard, non-performance dual-motor car. And, it provides some hope for reservation holders that the all-wheel-drive Model 3 will soon be available for delivery.

Photo: Wikipedia (not the red Model 3 spotted by McCaffrey)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: voip-ninja
From the linked article, more clarity:

Likely $55K for dual motor, then another HEFTY premium for Performance ($30-40K on Model S/X?), while so far Tesla make sure the 3 underperforms current similar S...why not just get a Model S with its soon expected interior refresh? ;-)
It won't be a 40k premium on the Model 3 and not everyone wants a slower/bigger car for the same money.

It won't be a 40k premium on the Model 3 and not everyone wants a slower/bigger car for the same money.
I can agree to both. The point of getting a Model 3 that costs closer to 100K and for that reason is competing to a S100D, is beyond me. I liked the idea of the Model 3, but when price, range and performance start to enter the same ball park, 3PD vs S100D, I wonder why one would take the car without second screen, tiny frunk and trunk, impractical back door, etc.
P at Tesla costs so much, and will surely be needed for 3 to get alongside S100D performance wise.
Should Tesla throw in P for $5K extra on top of the $5K for D, and the thing does pull harder than S100D, I can see the point of that $60K 3. $70K in a color with drive assist features, if I can carelessly afford that, I'll just get an S100D and tick so many more boxes.
I'm a performance nut actually, and was hoping irrationally that Model 3 would be allowed to get similar drivetrains to Model S, and then pull ahead by being lots smaller and lighter. It ended up only a tiny bit smaller, with lots smaller cargo space somehow. In my mind, they could have allowed 100kWh in the 3. They found a way to keep it smaller despite the new cells,a and the cargo space smaller despite the motors being brought inward.
What I hoped for the 3, seems to have been chosen for the New Roadster, and then some. Really lots of battery and motor for a smaller car. Whereas Model S and X are the best they could design, 3 seems to be the least they could sell at such prices and maintain a half million pcs orderbook. S and X are more important than most of us expected. Don't expect a Model 3 that can challenge S100D for acceleration and range. 334 mi downpromised to 310 is not a coincidence.

While Tesla says the dual-motor version of the Model 3 won’t be available until late 2018, at least one such vehicle has been spotted in the wild. Tesla podcaster Ryan McCaffrey posted a photo to Twitter that shows a Model 3 with VIN 5YJ3E1EB3JF008370. The red Model 3 with 19-inch Sport Wheels also had manufacturer plates....
[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2018/02/28/dual-motor-model-3-spotted-in-san-francisco/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]

In Chrome at least that page keeps reloading itself; can't read it. Have seen same on that blog for months; wth?

Likely $55K for dual motor, then another HEFTY premium for Performance ($30-40K on Model S/X?), while so far Tesla make sure the 3 underperforms current similar S...why not just get a Model S with its soon expected interior refresh? ;-)

Musk is on the record saying that AWD on the 3 will be less than it was for S, so it should come in at less than $5K but we'll see.

My gut says it will be $4500.

• Helpful
Reactions: Xevex
I can agree to both. The point of getting a Model 3 that costs closer to 100K and for that reason is competing to a S100D, is beyond me. I liked the idea of the Model 3, but when price, range and performance start to enter the same ball park, 3PD vs S100D, I wonder why one would take the car without second screen, tiny frunk and trunk, impractical back door, etc.
P at Tesla costs so much, and will surely be needed for 3 to get alongside S100D performance wise.
Should Tesla throw in P for $5K extra on top of the $5K for D, and the thing does pull harder than S100D, I can see the point of that $60K 3. $70K in a color with drive assist features, if I can carelessly afford that, I'll just get an S100D and tick so many more boxes.
I'm a performance nut actually, and was hoping irrationally that Model 3 would be allowed to get similar drivetrains to Model S, and then pull ahead by being lots smaller and lighter. It ended up only a tiny bit smaller, with lots smaller cargo space somehow. In my mind, they could have allowed 100kWh in the 3. They found a way to keep it smaller despite the new cells,a and the cargo space smaller despite the motors being brought inward.
What I hoped for the 3, seems to have been chosen for the New Roadster, and then some. Really lots of battery and motor for a smaller car. Whereas Model S and X are the best they could design, 3 seems to be the least they could sell at such prices and maintain a half million pcs orderbook. S and X are more important than most of us expected. Don't expect a Model 3 that can challenge S100D for acceleration and range. 334 mi downpromised to 310 is not a coincidence.

I certainly understand your points. There are likely just two different lines of thinking, and I firmly fall in the smaller/lighter car category than the ultra heavy straight-line power monster that is the Model S. I've been planning on the Performance 3 since day one, and if I can get it for $80k or less I'll order it in a heartbeat, regardless of Model S options at the time. This is why my configurator maintains sitting ready to order until we get more information on AWD options.

Virtually all cars in this class have a performance version that costs more than the higher end category (BMW M3 vs. 5 series, etc.) and I don't think the Model 3 will be an exception. If the P Model 3 can have similar performance to the original P85D (low 3's 0-60 time) for ~$75k, it will be MUCH more fun to drive due to the fact that it's nearly 1000lbs (400kg) less mass. I prefer driving my cars and don't really have any desire to spend more for extra luxury options like an extra screen or power trunk that the model S offers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Daniel in SD
In error is the "Late 2018" comment. My delivery for the dual motor model 3 is slated for Mid 2018. We will see if they can deliver.
Yes. Some people show Mid 2018 and some people show Late 2018. Since I bought a Tesla Model S, I had early configuration available. I am angling for the Dual Motor. I have two reservations. One says Mid this year and one says Late this year for Dual Motors. Notice that Tesla gives higher priority to higher cost Model 3 configurations, and lower priority to lower cost Model 3 configurations, in every case.
Screen Shot 2018-02-28 at 4.43.40 PM edit.png