Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Dual-Motor Model 3 Spotted in San Francisco

While Tesla says the dual-motor version of the Model 3 won’t be available until late 2018, at least one such vehicle has been spotted in the wild.

Tesla podcaster Ryan McCaffrey posted a photo to Twitter that shows a Model 3 with VIN 5YJ3E1EB3JF008370. The red Model 3 with 19-inch Sport Wheels also had manufacturer plates.

That particular VIN was registered on January 20. And the dual-motor designation can be deciphered using a document Tesla sent to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Digit 8 indicates the Motor/Drive Unit.

Digit 8: Motor/Drive Unit

1= Single Motor – Standard

3= Single Motor – Performance

2 = Dual Motor (standard)

4 = Dual Motor (performance)

A= Single Motor – Standard

B= Dual Motor – Standard

The Model 3 spotted by McCaffrey appears to be a standard, non-performance dual-motor car. And, it provides some hope for reservation holders that the all-wheel-drive Model 3 will soon be available for delivery.

Photo: Wikipedia (not the red Model 3 spotted by McCaffrey)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: voip-ninja
From the linked article, more clarity:

Cloxxki

Aug 20, 2016
Rotterdam
Mid-2018 for me. Day 1 line-waiter, owner. Really hoping Performance Dual Motor will be available at same time.
Likely $55K for dual motor, then another HEFTY premium for Performance ($30-40K on Model S/X?), while so far Tesla make sure the 3 underperforms current similar S...why not just get a Model S with its soon expected interior refresh? ;-)

Likely $55K for dual motor, then another HEFTY premium for Performance ($30-40K on Model S/X?), while so far Tesla make sure the 3 underperforms current similar S...why not just get a Model S with its soon expected interior refresh? ;-)
It won't be a 40k premium on the Model 3 and not everyone wants a slower/bigger car for the same money.

Cloxxki

Aug 20, 2016
Rotterdam
It won't be a 40k premium on the Model 3 and not everyone wants a slower/bigger car for the same money.
I can agree to both. The point of getting a Model 3 that costs closer to 100K and for that reason is competing to a S100D, is beyond me. I liked the idea of the Model 3, but when price, range and performance start to enter the same ball park, 3PD vs S100D, I wonder why one would take the car without second screen, tiny frunk and trunk, impractical back door, etc.
P at Tesla costs so much, and will surely be needed for 3 to get alongside S100D performance wise.
Should Tesla throw in P for $5K extra on top of the $5K for D, and the thing does pull harder than S100D, I can see the point of that $60K 3. $70K in a color with drive assist features, if I can carelessly afford that, I'll just get an S100D and tick so many more boxes.
I'm a performance nut actually, and was hoping irrationally that Model 3 would be allowed to get similar drivetrains to Model S, and then pull ahead by being lots smaller and lighter. It ended up only a tiny bit smaller, with lots smaller cargo space somehow. In my mind, they could have allowed 100kWh in the 3. They found a way to keep it smaller despite the new cells,a and the cargo space smaller despite the motors being brought inward.
What I hoped for the 3, seems to have been chosen for the New Roadster, and then some. Really lots of battery and motor for a smaller car. Whereas Model S and X are the best they could design, 3 seems to be the least they could sell at such prices and maintain a half million pcs orderbook. S and X are more important than most of us expected. Don't expect a Model 3 that can challenge S100D for acceleration and range. 334 mi downpromised to 310 is not a coincidence.

While Tesla says the dual-motor version of the Model 3 won’t be available until late 2018, at least one such vehicle has been spotted in the wild. Tesla podcaster Ryan McCaffrey posted a photo to Twitter that shows a Model 3 with VIN 5YJ3E1EB3JF008370. The red Model 3 with 19-inch Sport Wheels also had manufacturer plates....
[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2018/02/28/dual-motor-model-3-spotted-in-san-francisco/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]

In Chrome at least that page keeps reloading itself; can't read it. Have seen same on that blog for months; wth?

commasign

TeslaAdviceBlog.com
Aug 31, 2013
Davis, CA

Or one of each. Refreshed Model S P100D for me and a Model 3 P75D for the Mrs. :)

Reactions: T34ME

voip-ninja

Give me some sugar baby
Mar 15, 2012
Colorado

Musk is on the record saying that AWD on the 3 will be less than it was for S, so it should come in at less than $5K but we'll see.

My gut says it will be $4500.

• Helpful
Reactions: Xevex
I can agree to both. The point of getting a Model 3 that costs closer to 100K and for that reason is competing to a S100D, is beyond me. I liked the idea of the Model 3, but when price, range and performance start to enter the same ball park, 3PD vs S100D, I wonder why one would take the car without second screen, tiny frunk and trunk, impractical back door, etc.
P at Tesla costs so much, and will surely be needed for 3 to get alongside S100D performance wise.
Should Tesla throw in P for $5K extra on top of the $5K for D, and the thing does pull harder than S100D, I can see the point of that $60K 3. $70K in a color with drive assist features, if I can carelessly afford that, I'll just get an S100D and tick so many more boxes.
I'm a performance nut actually, and was hoping irrationally that Model 3 would be allowed to get similar drivetrains to Model S, and then pull ahead by being lots smaller and lighter. It ended up only a tiny bit smaller, with lots smaller cargo space somehow. In my mind, they could have allowed 100kWh in the 3. They found a way to keep it smaller despite the new cells,a and the cargo space smaller despite the motors being brought inward.
What I hoped for the 3, seems to have been chosen for the New Roadster, and then some. Really lots of battery and motor for a smaller car. Whereas Model S and X are the best they could design, 3 seems to be the least they could sell at such prices and maintain a half million pcs orderbook. S and X are more important than most of us expected. Don't expect a Model 3 that can challenge S100D for acceleration and range. 334 mi downpromised to 310 is not a coincidence.

I certainly understand your points. There are likely just two different lines of thinking, and I firmly fall in the smaller/lighter car category than the ultra heavy straight-line power monster that is the Model S. I've been planning on the Performance 3 since day one, and if I can get it for $80k or less I'll order it in a heartbeat, regardless of Model S options at the time. This is why my configurator maintains sitting ready to order until we get more information on AWD options.

Virtually all cars in this class have a performance version that costs more than the higher end category (BMW M3 vs. 5 series, etc.) and I don't think the Model 3 will be an exception. If the P Model 3 can have similar performance to the original P85D (low 3's 0-60 time) for ~$75k, it will be MUCH more fun to drive due to the fact that it's nearly 1000lbs (400kg) less mass. I prefer driving my cars and don't really have any desire to spend more for extra luxury options like an extra screen or power trunk that the model S offers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Daniel in SD
In error is the "Late 2018" comment. My delivery for the dual motor model 3 is slated for Mid 2018. We will see if they can deliver.
Yes. Some people show Mid 2018 and some people show Late 2018. Since I bought a Tesla Model S, I had early configuration available. I am angling for the Dual Motor. I have two reservations. One says Mid this year and one says Late this year for Dual Motors. Notice that Tesla gives higher priority to higher cost Model 3 configurations, and lower priority to lower cost Model 3 configurations, in every case.
Screen Shot 2018-02-28 at 4.43.40 PM edit.png

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC