Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Dual-Motor Model 3 Spotted in San Francisco

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While Tesla says the dual-motor version of the Model 3 won’t be available until late 2018, at least one such vehicle has been spotted in the wild.

Tesla podcaster Ryan McCaffrey posted a photo to Twitter that shows a Model 3 with VIN 5YJ3E1EB3JF008370. The red Model 3 with 19-inch Sport Wheels also had manufacturer plates.

That particular VIN was registered on January 20. And the dual-motor designation can be deciphered using a document Tesla sent to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Digit 8 indicates the Motor/Drive Unit.

Digit 8: Motor/Drive Unit

1= Single Motor – Standard

3= Single Motor – Performance

2 = Dual Motor (standard)

4 = Dual Motor (performance)

A= Single Motor – Standard

B= Dual Motor – Standard

The Model 3 spotted by McCaffrey appears to be a standard, non-performance dual-motor car. And, it provides some hope for reservation holders that the all-wheel-drive Model 3 will soon be available for delivery.

Photo: Wikipedia (not the red Model 3 spotted by McCaffrey)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: voip-ninja
I'm one of those with a Late 2018 AWD option:
Model3DeliveryEstimate.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo
Likely $55K for dual motor, then another HEFTY premium for Performance ($30-40K on Model S/X?), while so far Tesla make sure the 3 underperforms current similar S...why not just get a Model S with its soon expected interior refresh? ;-)
Because can probably get a ludicrous mode car for about the same price of a new base Model S. I would imagine a ludicrous mode Model 3 would be in the 75-85K ballpark.

There’s no way they make a Performance Model 3 as quick as a P100D S/X. I’d think up to $75K and a 0-60 time ~3.5sec is reasonable though.

With that type of acceleration and that price point, used PXXD’s could potentially hold value better too since they’d still be faster.

... I could also be completely wrong.

There’s no way they make a Performance Model 3 as quick as a P100D S/X. I’d think up to $75K and a 0-60 time ~3.5sec is reasonable though.

With that type of acceleration and that price point, used PXXD’s could potentially hold value better too since they’d still be faster.

... I could also be completely wrong.
Why not, it's already got a battery pack of 70kwh that is more efficient and the car weighs 1,000# less. At the least it could match the performance.

@LCR1 Sure, in theory they could. But realistically, it would hurt the value proposition and total sales for S/X performance models. All manufacturers do this, so it really shouldn’t be surprising.

“Model S will always be the fastest Tesla, until the next generation roadster.” - Elon via twitter.

@LCR1 Sure, in theory they could. But realistically, it would hurt the value proposition and total sales for S/X performance models. All manufacturers do this, so it really shouldn’t be surprising.

“Model S will always be the fastest Tesla, until the next generation roadster.” - Elon via twitter.
That's what I said, in less words.

It would certainly be cheaper than than p100 but no way tesla makes a p3 faster than a p100

Yes. Some people show Mid 2018 and some people show Late 2018. Since I bought a Tesla Model S, I had early configuration available. I am angling for the Dual Motor. I have two reservations. One says Mid this year and one says Late this year for Dual Motors. Notice that Tesla gives higher priority to higher cost Model 3 configurations, and lower priority to lower cost Model 3 configurations, in every case.
View attachment 283564

I'm sure some people show 2019 for AWD too. The question is when they will release it, not when the last person is going to get theirs.

I'm sure some people show 2019 for AWD too. The question is when they will release it, not when the last person is going to get theirs.
I was addressing that. I, like you, am talking about anybody who cares when it's first shipped, i.e., people who reserved long ago. The indications now are that Tesla has an idea of that, and that it's Mid 2018. I was also pointing out that some people who also reserved a long time ago may need to wait until Late 2018; anybody asking "when they will ship it" probably wants to know that they are in the Mid to Late 2018 tiers, because they are in the reserved a long time ago group. You don't need to point out that some people just reserving today probably show a later date that is a year out; we already know that. Those people basically almost don't even care when it first ships; they're on an entirely different delay type (just waiting for their turn to come up for any version of the Model 3).