Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dual Motor no longer offers range choice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
side note: Model 3 seems to have different motor
less weight, less copper (lower cost), less heat, higher speed?, more reliable
for details read
Tesla Model 3 Motor — Everything I've Been Able To Learn About It (Welcome To The Machine) | CleanTechnica
Different than the S and X? Thought that was old news?

EDIT: I see now, they were talking about how it is probably a switched reluctance motor. Surprised EVTV hasn't taken the motor apart yet to confirm to be honest.

Last edited:
Think of this from an engineering & production point of view. The original plan was premium RWD car first. Then offer smaller battery, then AWD with either battery. Clearly the battery option and dual motor option are separate, and can be developed in parallel.

2 years ago, they probably assumed the dual motor option would take longer to develop, because of all the code that has to get written, trials and validation, etc. How hard could it be to make a smaller battery pack, right?

Now we know a contractor screwed the pooch in pack assembly, and there has been an enormous fire drill to fix it.

If you were elon, what would you do?

They are late, so they have to prioritize production ramp of the big battery, over new battery features right? Not that they don't *want* to make the small battery, but right now that one step is holding back the whole assembly line. Gotta make the big battery production cheap, fast & reliable before adding the smaller option.

None of that delayed the AWD team though. So if they are ready first, that will be offered first. It's the best they can do, to keep the most people happy.

It's just like AWD Model S. Originally, AWD was gonna be introduced with Model X, but then the MX rear doors & seats were such a headache that the model got delayed. So the rolled out the AWD model S first.

Believe it or not, what you personally want for your Model 3 is not so important to Tesla. They have a lot of people waiting for every option, so it makes sense for them to just roll out new HW and SW as soon as it's available.

Personally, I want AWD, but I don't want to pay for the bigger battery. I'll decide when AWD becomes available if I want to wait or take what they have. (declining tax incentives might pay for the battery upgrade) But that's my problem, not Tesla's.

They have enough problems of their own to solve.

Hands down, this is likely the most plausable explanation. This and maximizing their margins. Excellent post (enough to make me finally register and participate!)

Reactions: EinSV
Think of this from an engineering & production point of view. The original plan was premium RWD car first. Then offer smaller battery, then AWD with either battery. Clearly the battery option and dual motor option are separate, and can be developed in parallel.

2 years ago, they probably assumed the dual motor option would take longer to develop, because of all the code that has to get written, trials and validation, etc. How hard could it be to make a smaller battery pack, right?

Now we know a contractor screwed the pooch in pack assembly, and there has been an enormous fire drill to fix it.

If you were elon, what would you do?

They are late, so they have to prioritize production ramp of the big battery, over new battery features right? Not that they don't *want* to make the small battery, but right now that one step is holding back the whole assembly line. Gotta make the big battery production cheap, fast & reliable before adding the smaller option.

None of that delayed the AWD team though. So if they are ready first, that will be offered first. It's the best they can do, to keep the most people happy.

It's just like AWD Model S. Originally, AWD was gonna be introduced with Model X, but then the MX rear doors & seats were such a headache that the model got delayed. So the rolled out the AWD model S first.

Believe it or not, what you personally want for your Model 3 is not so important to Tesla. They have a lot of people waiting for every option, so it makes sense for them to just roll out new HW and SW as soon as it's available.

Personally, I want AWD, but I don't want to pay for the bigger battery. I'll decide when AWD becomes available if I want to wait or take what they have. (declining tax incentives might pay for the battery upgrade) But that's my problem, not Tesla's.

They have enough problems of their own to solve.

I agree with @Fudd -- you nailed it.

In France and Aus we get even less information

You are lucky to be given so much info. Here in France (and in Australia) we are given the bare minimum of information and no choices presented, yet. Just an invitation to buy a Model S!
View attachment 290338
Some of Elon's [therefore Tesla's] approach [or business strategies] are

- continuous improvement and improvements implemented as soon as practical vs planned model year improvements
- don't waste money on concept cars just keep working on the real products
- don't waste money on advertising/branding, put that money into the product [design/development/support/improvements etc.]

Therefore; what is delivered today WILL be different in the future. Why bother to promote product details to you that you can't yet buy?
Only buy what you want or are willing to accept as the product will continuously improve (the hardware may change).
The software is also continuously improving (fast enough? only you can decide that point).
Tesla doesn't need to create demand they need to meet demand [produce/deliver product].

So Tesla only bothers to tell you what is relevant to your market. You are free to visit the US web-site to see what is offered today in the US. It may, no will change in the near future.