Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dual Motor no longer offers range choice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Snow Drift

[Off-Road Assist] Activated
Feb 10, 2016
Long Island
I checked my Delivery Estimator and the language has changed.

Standard Battery
3/21/18 - 220 mile range with RWD

Dual Motor AWD
3/21/18 - No comment on range options... "Instantly controls traction and torque, in all weather conditions"
2/07/18 - Choice of 220 or 310 miles

00E5828A-E847-4AF7-837E-8454FBCDBCDE.jpeg
EFF4C48E-BC9B-493B-BE9F-6A6CB4DD6D44.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Aren't the S and X are more efficient with dual motor? My understanding may be wrong, but I think the two motors are geared differently and the less efficient motor for a given speed could "coast" while the other kept the car moving.

Perhaps dual permanent magnet motors aren't more efficient, due to not being able to "coast" one of them, resulting in the SR range dropping below 200 miles?

Aren't the S and X are more efficient with dual motor? My understanding may be wrong, but I think the two motors are geared differently and the less efficient motor for a given speed could "coast" while the other kept the car moving.

Perhaps dual permanent magnet motors aren't more efficient, due to not being able to "coast" one of them, resulting in the SR range dropping below 200 miles?
maybe not.
I have Mar-May for current production, but both SR and AWD show Late 2018 for me

I think that is extremely unlikely.

In the S and X the front and rear motors work in tandem for acceleration with the bias being on the rear motor. For cruising it is 100% the front motor unless there is a traction situation, as far as I know. The dual motor versions do see range improvements but they are pretty modest. Keep in mind that you are carting around another 40+ kgs in the dual motor configuration compared to RWD.

*sugar*, really hope not. It will be worse than the Alcanteragate scandal! SR with AWD

We'll have to see how it develops, but I'm thinking this was Tesla not wanting people to think they can buy an AWD SR car in Late 2018 when they introduce the AWD LR cars, not Tesla saying the SR will always be RWD only. The older version of the text seemed to being saying the AWD launch would offer both battery sizes from the beginning.

We'll have to see how it develops, but I'm thinking this was Tesla not wanting people to think they can buy an AWD SR car in Late 2018 when they introduce the AWD LR cars, not Tesla saying the SR will always be RWD only. The older version of the text seemed to being saying the AWD launch would offer both battery sizes from the beginning.
IIRC SR was going to be offered before AWD so the original text was correct. They failed to update it after pushing SR back. Now they have...

In the S and X the front and rear motors work in tandem for acceleration with the bias being on the rear motor. For cruising it is 100% the front motor unless there is a traction situation, as far as I know. The dual motor versions do see range improvements but they are pretty modest. Keep in mind that you are carting around another 40+ kgs in the dual motor configuration compared to RWD.

This is referred to as torque sleeping. The S/X do this for more efficiency since the front motor is smaller and more efficient.

This is referred to as torque sleeping. The S/X do this for more efficiency since the front motor is smaller and more efficient.

So the question is can the 3 can torque sleep a motor? If not, wouldn't it seem likely that you'd lose range due to the extra weight plus the need to continually supply power to both motors?

The range difference is far from "modest" in the non "P" version of the Model S in real world testing. When my Model S was still a 60D, it had virtually the same highway range as an 85 RWD. Now that it's a 75D, I can easily achieve 275 miles highway while maintaining speed with traffic.