Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dual motor non performance thoughts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First one I've seen compared in the drag race! Awesome, the difference isn't as pronounced as the RWD vs AWD-P of course. The numbers at the end show the difference but visually not as much.

It could be just the camera Angle, I noticed he also has a RWD vs AWD-P in another video but Ben Sullins really had it captured well on the delta.

So,
AWD: [email protected] 2.134 60'
P: [email protected] 1.817 60'

Since the trap speeds are nearly identical and we know the P is 1s faster to 60mph, it looks like the AWD makes virtually identical power to the P. The P just has a ton more torque. After 60mph they are probably the same.

Hard to tell from video- but if the AWD is on crap all-seasons and the P is on PS 4S performance tires that might account some of the 60' time as well

I was able to test drive the M3 and just picked up a M3D on 19"s. I also own a S90D. From my perspective (again, IMO, not scientific by any means), I would say the S90D and the M3D have a very similar 0-60 times/feel, with the S taking a small lead if any. You can tell the difference with a M3 and M3D, it almost feels like turbo lag (just a smidge) on the M3 vs. the M3D. From 30-70, the M3D feels faster than the S90D. Of course the S90D is heavier, and you feel it in 30-70. While both the S90D and M3D are extremely fun to drive and either are amazing, it almost feels that the M3D has power to spare, while the S90D is at full tilt. I am amazed with the M3D as it feels like it is more effortless than the S90D on passing speed. While the S90D feels luxury, the M3D feels like Sports Car. Smaller, more nimble and power to spare. Also, I feel the regenerative power on the M3D is significant, feels more powerful than the M3 and the S90D.

I was able to test drive the M3 and just picked up a M3D on 19"s. I also own a S90D. From my perspective (again, IMO, not scientific by any means), I would say the S90D and the M3D have a very similar 0-60 times/feel, with the S taking a small lead if any. You can tell the difference with a M3 and M3D, it almost feels like turbo lag (just a smidge) on the M3 vs. the M3D. From 30-70, the M3D feels faster than the S90D. Of course the S90D is heavier, and you feel it in 30-70. While both the S90D and M3D are extremely fun to drive and either are amazing, it almost feels that the M3D has power to spare, while the S90D is at full tilt. I am amazed with the M3D as it feels like it is more effortless than the S90D on passing speed. While the S90D feels luxury, the M3D feels like Sports Car. Smaller, more nimble and power to spare. Also, I feel the regenerative power on the M3D is significant, feels more powerful than the M3 and the S90D.

I have an 85D and it feels much closer to the P3. Not sure of your SOC when testing but after driving the P I am concerned the AWD will feel sluggish on the low end. The 3 feels like it has power to spare because the power band seems to be tilted to the higher end. My guess is there is about a .5 sec difference between an 85D and the AWD 3 on some cars.