Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dual Motor now $5000

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mercedes-Benz offers a free black or white base paint. The paint upgrade cost for any non-metallic red/white is just $720.

BMW offers a free black or white base paint option. The paint upgrade cost for any other paint, including metallic red/white, is just $550.

It's beyond laughable that Tesla doesn't offer a base white paint for free and that paint upgrades cost $1500-2000 (2-4 times more expensive than competitors).

Tesla does a lot of things right but this is bullshit.

Especially since the roof is all glass anyway. Less surface area to paint.

I guess they looked at their sales orders, saw that 1/2 of them are AWD (D + P), and decided they'd priced it too cheap? Or maybe they have worked out that to ship any extra AWD beyond this by end-of-year will require more production facility work, so this is extra money to cover that outlay.

I wonder if this is an all out attempt to show a profit by the 4th quarter. Milk every nickel and dime they can from customers while there is demand. The problem is 2019 could be a very difficult time to keep any profits continuing with demand falling for the premium versions, Fed tax incentives disappearing, Import duties to foreign markets increasing and debt coming due.

Small consolation, but this is a kinda cool feature of online ordering vs. complex, distributed dealer network pricing and haggling. Tesla can adjust prices fairly dynamically in response to supply & demand and local rebates, because the whole process is integrated and digital. They have lowered prices dynamically too. This time new buyers lose a bit.

Mercedes-Benz offers a free black or white base paint. The paint upgrade cost for any non-metallic red/white is just $720.

BMW offers a free black or white base paint option. The paint upgrade cost for any other paint, including metallic red/white, is just $550.

It's beyond laughable that Tesla doesn't offer a base white paint for free and that paint upgrades cost $1500-2000 (2-4 times more expensive than competitors).

Tesla does a lot of things right but this is bullshit.

Mercedes and BMW don't paint cars in California. Turns out California has laws/regulations that make painting a car properly expensive.

I'm sure cars from the China gigafactory can lower paint costs (not that you or I would be buying one for use in the US)

• Disagree
Reactions: Troy and xyeahtony
They should list the true EPA ranges for the RWD & AWD. That would probably discourage some of the AWD orders since it actually has less range.
"True" in scare quotes, since EPA numbers are always something of a fudge anyway. :p

I'm not sure it would make a lot of difference, when it would realistically only be bumping the RWD range up to maybe 330mi. Especially post-fact like this. With the D & P staying at 310mi that's a big mental leap from a number with a leading '2'. The extra 10-15 miles you might see on a road trip isn't that much and the cost different is pretty negligible when you're already talking 2-3 cent/mile for costs on charging.

I haven't done a survey of other similar car configurations, but I can say I've never looked at a car before that offered a 2000 paint upgrade.
I wonder if it's a combination of the paint shop being a bottleneck and just a pure cash grab.

I read last year that the Porsche 918 has a metallic paint option that costs $63,000. Seriously. For the paint.

Porsche 918 Spyder Liquid Metal Silver - Photos

• Disagree
Reactions: voip-ninja

They did have a base white option for the S & X up until mid-2016 or so. I originally ordered it but delayed my order and eventually changed to metallic silver.

For the people who are waiting for the SR AWD next year, this is costing them another $1700 (if they want non-black). This is on top of the $3750 tax credit reduction. So it would have been just $3550 to upgrade from SR to LR if they ordered last month.

• Informative
Reactions: P85_DA
Not if you live in an area with snow, like New England

I'm in New England. Given that the motor weight is above the rear wheels, and all cars have 4 wheel braking, I don't have concerns with a RWD model 3. If it does end up being an issue, I'll get a set of snow tires. The car is too low to deal with any serious snow anyway.

If the car was as efficient with AWD, I probably would have spent the extra $4k when I ordered. But, I'd rather have the RWD's 334 miles of range.

Reactions: davedavedave