Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dual Motor Performance 0-60 times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having driven a modified turbo that, when spooled, came close to the P3D level of acceleration at highway speeds, the exhilaration of that acceleration is addictive (though can lead to speeding tickets). The average driver, if given a chance to compare that feeling to 99.9% of ice cars on the road, will realize driving an EV is much more enjoyable than their previous cars. All the more reason to hope Tesla produces their 36K M3 by early next year.

That said, you are correct that the change to EV won’t be soon enough. ICE cars have been around since 1886. Given their 132 years, one hopes their remaining shelf life, except in limited applications, is less than 20 years.

Thanks for detailed explanation :)...the industry is stacked against EV being predominant ...however sometimes doesn’t feel that way in SoCal ...my fastest ICE was a twin turbo v8 ...I thought that acceleration was quick until I jumped into EV :eek:.,,I’m with you though would love to see end of ICE :oops:

• Disagree
Reactions: Numonefan
@forkee how does this feel compared to your dads P90DL in insane mode ?
They feel about head to head with insane mode, maybe a skosh under it.
Going by official ratings and my imperfect memory...
P85D Insane Mode - 3.2s 0-60
3P - 3.5s 0-60

I don't remember the P90D Insane value advertised but it's at least as quick as P85D (I would presume).

So "about head to head" to butt dyno is somewhat expected but 3P feeling faster is surprising.

• Informative
Reactions: P85_DA
TLDR on acceleration

P100D = more intense, shorter duration
3-P/D = less intense (1.4G vs 1.0G) but longer duration

Overall, no contest P100D @ 2.5s.

But bang/buck? I'm voting 3-P/D.
As a current owner of P100D and a pending owner of 3P x2, this matches my expectations.

I would add, I hope to find the handling and limiter-avoidance properties of 3P x2 to outshine the P100D in autocross and lapping scenarios. Time will tell.

As a current owner of P100D and a pending owner of 3P x2, this matches my expectations.

I would add, I hope to find the handling and limiter-avoidance properties of 3P x2 to outshine the P100D in autocross and lapping scenarios. Time will tell.

so a P100D does 0 to 60 in 2.3 seconds and a quarter mile in 10.5 seconds. I wonder what the 3P would do in a quarter mile. my guess is mid to high 11's.

Yes, unless the limiting factor is grip. More weight can help there. It *might* even explain why one of his up-hill results were better than semi-flat. We still don't know how much power in the M3P is going to waste due to lack of grip. In any case, these are great results for all-season tires by any measurement...
True... I look forward to seeing wider grippier tires Being put on them as I should have mine in September without PUP, and know
What direction the Rubber Floweth lol

Teslarati has a link to a video. They claim to have clocked 3.49 using a stopwatch (not very accurate) for that car that was P without the PUP (18s)
If that is true, a P with better (stickier) rubber will get 3.3. Nobody has done that test yet to my knowledge. Then, later down the road when Tesla adds the ludicrous button to existing P3Ds, they will get down to 3 flat. Book it.

Reactions: Sg911
Teslarati has a link to a video. They claim to have clocked 3.49 using a stopwatch (not very accurate) for that car that was P without the PUP (18s)
If that is true, a P with better (stickier) rubber will get 3.3. Nobody has done that test yet to my knowledge. Then, later down the road when Tesla adds the ludicrous button to existing P3Ds, they will get down to 3 flat. Book it.

Yeah my Dragy was getting my Model S 60 runs at 5.4-5.8 sec. Using the dash speedo it was like 5.1 which we know the Model S 60 on 19" with all season tires will not do. So, yeah, I don't believe that 0-60 either.

I have a couple things I have planned for my next few runs. Now that I've isolated which onramp is the flattest (as well as longest undisturbed from freeway) I can just spend my time mostly on that one. As long as there's no cars in the free flowing carpool lane bogging up the merge entrance, I should be able to get to 60 before the freeway even starts!

Also, soc will be at max 99%. My first run was in the low 70s, second ones (videos) were in low 80s. I'm going to crank up the juice to see if there's any improvement from a higher charge.

My previous runs also had the "creep" setting turned on. I am wondering if that affected the recording start time, as the dragy is gps positional based. The car doesn't lunge far with it turned on, but who know maybe I can shave off an extra 1/10th or more?

I also found an onramp with a downgraded (but straight) slope. Please pray for me that I don't fly off....

Last edited:
I have a couple things I have planned for my next few runs. Now that I've isolated which onramp is the flattest (as well as longest undisturbed from freeway) I can just spend my time mostly on that one. As long as there's no cars in the free flowing carpool lane bogging up the merge entrance, I should be able to get to 60 before the freeway even starts!

Also, soc will be at max 99%. My first run was in the low 70s, second ones (videos) were in low 80s. I'm going to crank up the juice to see if there's any improvement from a higher charge.

My previous runs also had the "creep" setting turned on. I am wondering if that affected the recording start time, as the dragy is gps positional based. The car doesn't lunge far with it turned on, but who know maybe I can shave off an extra 1/10th or more?

I also found an onramp with a downgraded (but straight) slope. Please pray for me that I don't fly off....

You should be able to put the car in hold by pressing the break pedal all the way down. This lets you take your foot off the brake and the car does not creep. Then you can stomp the accellerator hard without transitioning from brake to accell like you normally would.

What about slip-start? That may make a difference?

You should be able to put the car in hold by pressing the break pedal all the way down. This lets you take your foot off the brake and the car does not creep. Then you can stomp the accellerator hard without transitioning from brake to accell like you normally would.

i don't recall slip start...what is this feature and what should i do with it?
Doesn't the P3D have a launch mode, the ability to put your foot and the brake and gas at the same time, to torque load the motor, and then release the brake to launch?

If it doesn't have it, I wonder if the P3Da (add on) has it?

I got my Performance Model 3 on Saturday and did some 0-60 videos. I didn't get the upgrade wheels, suspensions, etc. Just the standard 18" aero wheels. It is the most amazing car I have ever been in. I also own a long range and the difference to me is night and day. It's a perfect car IMO. Here is my wife doing the 60 sprint for the first time. She is hilarious.

And here are 3 0-60 timed runs I did:

Enjoy! :)

I got my Performance Model 3 on Saturday and did some 0-60 videos. I didn't get the upgrade wheels, suspensions, etc. Just the standard 18" aero wheels. It is the most amazing car I have ever been in. I also own a long range and the difference to me is night and day. It's a perfect car IMO. Here is my wife doing the 60 sprint for the first time. She is hilarious.

Funny. I saw those yesterday on inside Evs They were great. Thx!!!

Funny! But you should have prefaced your post with a warning...

“WARNING: Watching this video may cost you an extra $11,000.”

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: P85_DA