Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dual Motor Performance 0-60 times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
no prob guys. i was also awaiting numbers from anyone prior to mine, but i guess no one else before me was interested in getting them? o_O? im seriously looking forward to reaching the usual 0.5-0.6 second "overshoot" as the other models but now i don't think that's possible as it's hard to reach even the claimed 3.5s, let alone joining the high 2s club.

im charging it right now but it's trickling along on my 110v. going to take all day to bring it above 90%. might just bring it over to my dad's 220v wall connector for an hour.

it's on the stock 18's with the aero hubs off.
If you change the Michelin All Season tires over to the Michelin Pilot Super Sport 4S's you will see an increase in performance (decrease) in the 0-60 times, the All Seasons can't keep the traction, so the traction control will kick in and limit HP and wheel spin...and you won't even notice it due to the high level of control Tesla has over the electric motors. you can add them to the 18 inch wheels for $210 per tire

Last edited:
I have a couple things I have planned for my next few runs. Now that I've isolated which onramp is the flattest (as well as longest undisturbed from freeway) I can just spend my time mostly on that one. As long as there's no cars in the free flowing carpool lane bogging up the merge entrance, I should be able to get to 60 before the freeway even starts!

Also, soc will be at max 99%. My first run was in the low 70s, second ones (videos) were in low 80s. I'm going to crank up the juice to see if there's any improvement from a higher charge.

My previous runs also had the "creep" setting turned on. I am wondering if that affected the recording start time, as the dragy is gps positional based. The car doesn't lunge far with it turned on, but who know maybe I can shave off an extra 1/10th or more?

I also found an onramp with a downgraded (but straight) slope. Please pray for me that I don't fly off....

Any updates @forkee ? (With 100% charge & better launch techniques)

Thanks!
I hope you are planning on getting an L2 charger in the near future!

I'm definitely considering it...

So....good news I did a couple more runs. Charged to 98%, creep setting off. The noisy video I had the AC on full blast. Silent one, it's off. Hearing the motor whine is nice for a change.

Bad news is that they're not any better, in fact they are worse. The only thing I can think of is that the satellites were reportedly low (thus possibly skewing results. It says invalid on the report everytime this happens). All things considered, yes these are horrible numbers, but they may not be 100% accurate.

Optimal sub (official) 0-60 times still within reach, the conditions just have to be unicorn ideal. You can definitely feel the "g" pull just a little bit more at this soc.

Attachments

• IMG_3732.PNG
    IMG_3732.PNG
    98.8 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_3733.PNG
    IMG_3733.PNG
    101.4 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:

So....good news I did a couple more runs. Charged to 98%, creep setting off. The noisy video I had the AC on full blast. Silent one, it's off. Hearing the motor whine is nice for a change.

Bad news is that they're not any better, in fact they are worse. The only thing I can think of is that the satellites were reportedly low (thus possibly skewing results. It says invalid on the report everytime this happens). All things considered, yes these are horrible numbers, but they may not be 100% accurate.

Optimal sub (official) 0-60 times still within reach, the conditions just have to be unicorn ideal. You can definitely feel the "g" pull just a little bit more at this soc.

did you get to play with the slip start toggle? any difference with it on or off?

Optimal sub (official) 0-60 times still within reach, the conditions just have to be unicorn ideal.

This is really interesting data. The more I see, the more confident I am that M3P is over-powered by a significant margin. In other words, it is greatly constrained by grip. Data from uphill tests, and tests with 3 passengers, all have proven to be equal or better results. Comes down to needing more grip. About the only Q I have regarding stock aero setup is, using these "optimal" conditions, try it with 3% and 5%+ grade hill to see the delta. My bet is that you will see the best results.

Edit: Basically what I'm getting at is to determine the specific % of untapped power. Using the grade is a low-tech-semi-accurate method for determining this. If you see equal 0-60 at a 7% grade, this is an indicator of 7% untapped potential.

Last edited:
Reactions: forkee
This is really interesting data. The more I see, the more confident I am that M3P is over-powered by a significant margin. In other words, it is greatly constrained by grip. Data from uphill tests, and tests with 3 passengers, all have proven to be equal or better results. Comes down to needing more grip. About the only Q I have regarding stock aero setup is, using these "optimal" conditions, try it with 3% and 5%+ grade hill to see the delta. My bet is that you will see the best results.

All my passengers are too chicken, will have to test inclines lol.

@forkee how come none of your runs are showing on Dragy ? I only see one other P M3 and he has lot slower run ...let me know what part of OC you are at would love to do some runs I have a good area to do some tests that is flat and straight

Here's some ideas you could try:

1. Slipstart/vs no slipstart
2. Warmed up battery. P100D has an option to heat the battery which P3D does not, so you'll have to do a few hard pulls first (maybe 2-3) to get things warmed up.
3. Warmed up tires (Drive on the highway for a while)
4. Launch techniques (Hold/Flooring vs Braking/Flooring (2 foot))