Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dual Motor Performance - Single On-Board Charger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well 240 V with 50 A behind it certainly has more potential to do a person or thing a mischief than 120V with 15 but either is capable of cleaning someone's clock under the right (or should I say "wrong") conditions.

Now it only dawned on me fairly recently that in a normal residential panel you have 240V but it is between two circuits each of which measures 120 to ground. A phase to ground fault (in which I include someone touching a hot) is much more likely that a phase to phase (have to touch both red and black) and so I have stopped thinking of 240 V (biphase) as being more dangerous that 120V.

Let me clear it up, it is no more dangerous in any way. 120V is a high failure point because the outlets are cycled often, usually lower quality, often 20A on 15A circuits, often not dedicated, and not designed for high load continuous use. You wont get a 240V shock over 120V it's the same and the 50A circuit is moot. Also why would anyone be sticking their fingers in any outlet if they even could and all EVSE units should have GFCI.

Last edited:
I'm not really sure why you don't think that it is more dangerous. With 240V 50A, you can easily weld two cars together and the breaker won't trip.

It seems as you may only be thinking about the potential shock hazard, that's not the only way that it is dangerous.

And even as a shock hazard, it's twice the voltage, which means twice the current and much higher opportunity to disrupt current flow.