Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dual Motor priority?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All those looking for the RWD invite better hope that they get the invite before AWD goes live... When that becomes available, all those RWD drive will be bumped to the back as "deferred" already invites eat up the orders...

considering almost nobody other than 3/31 reservations has gotten an invite yet and those of us with 4/1 are still showing a may-july window, i'm hopeful this won't be the case. it would not be good PR IMO for them to push people who still gave them $1000 within 12-24 hours of the reveal out for another 3-4 months.

considering almost nobody other than 3/31 reservations has gotten an invite yet and those of us with 4/1 are still showing a may-july window, i'm hopeful this won't be the case. it would not be good PR IMO for them to push people who still gave them $1000 within 12-24 hours of the reveal out for another 3-4 months.
Are you saying that they're going to invite people who reserved 4/1 before they finish filling orders of people who deferred and then configured DM,P, or white interior? That seems unlikely.

• Disagree
Reactions: crackers8199
Are you saying that they're going to invite people who reserved 4/1 before they finish filling orders of people who deferred and then configured DM,P, or white interior? That seems unlikely.

yes, that's exactly what i'm saying. if they're making 5000 cars a week, they should be able to do both...

we're not talking about people who waited months here, this is people who ordered online or in store within 12-24 hours of the reveal.

also, what you said is what seems more unlikely...there is almost no chance they're going to wait until they "finish filling orders" of the people who deferred, or people who reserved 4/1 would be waiting until 2019 for their cars. elon has already said it would take 6+ months to fill all those orders...

Last edited:
I don't see why it would be necessary. They can split production between RWD and AWD considering the increasing capacity and serve both categories at the same time.

yes, that's exactly what i'm saying. if they're making 5000 cars a week, they should be able to do both...

we're not talking about people who waited months here, this is people who ordered online or in store within 12-24 hours of the reveal.

also, what you said is what seems more unlikely...there is almost no chance they're going to wait until they "finish filling orders" of the people who deferred, or people who reserved 4/1 would be waiting until 2019 for their cars. elon has already said it would take 6+ months to fill all those orders...
Wouldn’t that mean people who reserved 3/31 would be getting lower priority to people who reserved 4/1 just because they want AWD? That doesn’t make any sense to me. They’re going to prioritize people who reserved later AND want a less profitable configuration? The only reason I could see that happening is if the motor production is a bottleneck.

Hi Jim,
That was then, This is out in the future some time. The indications you mention can be interpreted in various ways, but in addition to that, Tesla changes what they do to fit the way things change over time.

One example is the 3-6 weeks wait that has been varying with number of people waiting and with how close it is to the end of the quarter and now looks like it is extended in the USA to have the 200,000th delivery go into Q3.

We can agree to disagree..... But I stand by the comment ..Nobody Knows!

Wouldn’t that mean people who reserved 3/31 would be getting lower priority to people who reserved 4/1 just because they want AWD? That doesn’t make any sense to me. They’re going to prioritize people who reserved later AND want a less profitable configuration? The only reason I could see that happening is if the motor production is a bottleneck.

IMO you're out of your mind if you think they're not releasing 4/1 invites until all of the AWD orders are filled. if that ends up being the case, i'll probably cancel my reservation and get a bolt.

as for the people who reserved 3/31 getting lower priority just because they want AWD, that's already happening. anyone who reserved first in line in store day one was already pushed behind someone who was a few behind them in line that wanted first production. i don't see how this is any different. again, we're not talking about people who reserved days or months later...

i'm fine with waiting a little bit longer, but what you're suggesting would mean i wouldn't even get an invite until january of next year. my original DELIVERY window was jan-mar of THIS YEAR. hell, even right now my delivery window is may-july...and now you're suggesting i'm not even going to be invited to configure until 6-8 months AFTER that window has passed? that's not OK as far as i'm concerned. i would hope elon and the powers that be agree.

IMO you're out of your mind if you think they're not releasing 4/1 invites until all of the AWD orders are filled. if that ends up being the case, i'll probably cancel my reservation and get a bolt.

as for the people who reserved 3/31 getting lower priority just because they want AWD, that's already happening. anyone who reserved first in line in store day one was already pushed behind someone who was a few behind them in line that wanted first production. i don't see how this is any different. again, we're not talking about people who reserved days or months later...

i'm fine with waiting a little bit longer, but what you're suggesting would mean i wouldn't even get an invite until january of next year. my original DELIVERY window was jan-mar of THIS YEAR. hell, even right now my delivery window is may-july...and now you're suggesting i'm not even going to be invited to configure until 6-8 months AFTER that window has passed? that's not OK as far as i'm concerned. i would hope elon and the powers that be agree.
No, I mean that they won't be releasing 4/1 invites until there are no more 3/31 reservations holders who have not configured. I don't think they're going to remove the RWD drive option and only produce AWD. They're just not going to invite more people until they've built cars for the people they've already invited. I have no idea how much releasing new options will delay the 4/1 invites but as you know there have been plenty of delays. White interior was supposed to be available Fall 2017!

No, I mean that they won't be releasing 4/1 invites until there are no more 3/31 reservations holders who have not configured. I don't think they're going to remove the RWD drive option and only produce AWD. They're just not going to invite more people until they've built cars for the people they've already invited. I have no idea how much releasing new options will delay the 4/1 invites but as you know there have been plenty of delays. White interior was supposed to be available Fall 2017!

and again, i still strongly disagree. you're using 3/31 as some sort of magical cutoff date when in reality the people who reserved the morning of 4/1 are still within 24 hours of the reveal.

if you were making the argument based on 4/2, or even later in the day on 4/1 i'd agree with you. i'm specifically talking about those of us who reserved within 24 hours of the reveal who still don't have a configuration invite.

hell, how many people got the "thank you gift" from elon? i thought it was only supposed to be day 1 reservations, yet i got one...does that mean there's a cutoff time for what he considers day 1, or did they just send them to everyone?

and again, i still strongly disagree. you're using 3/31 as some sort of magical cutoff date when in reality the people who reserved the morning of 4/1 are still within 24 hours of the reveal.

if you were making the argument based on 4/2, or even later in the day on 4/1 i'd agree with you. i'm specifically talking about those of us who reserved within 24 hours of the reveal who still don't have a configuration invite.

hell, how many people got the "thank you gift" from elon? i thought it was only supposed to be day 1 reservations, yet i got one...does that mean there's a cutoff time for what he considers day 1, or did they just send them to everyone?
No I'm not saying there's any significance to 3/31 or 4/1. I'm just saying that they're going to fill orders for people who reserved earlier first. Someone who reserved 12:00AM on 4/1 would be right behind someone who reserved 3/31 11:59PM. I just don't see the logic behind doing any differently. People who reserved on 3/31 have been waiting even longer than you, why should you be able to jump the line?
How else could they prioritize it? Lottery?

No I'm not saying there's any significance to 3/31 or 4/1. I'm just saying that they're going to fill orders for people who reserved earlier first. Someone who reserved 12:00AM on 4/1 would be right behind someone who reserved 3/31 11:59PM. I just don't see the logic behind doing any differently. People who reserved on 3/31 have been waiting even longer than you, why should you be able to jump the line?
How else could they prioritize it? Lottery?

That’s not how they did the Long Range First Production invite. Plenty of people who reserved after me. (Pre-reveal) got invited to configure before I did.

That’s not how they did the Long Range First Production invite. Plenty of people who reserved after me. (Pre-reveal) got invited to configure before I did.
Sure, they invited owners before non-owners. They also invited people based on location.
I'm talking about people who have already been invited to configure.
I reserved on 3/31. If I configure and order my car with white interior on Friday (an option Tesla said would be available six months ago!) they're going to invite someone who reserved after me and build their car first? I feel like I'm in crazy town here. haha

Sure, they invited owners before non-owners. They also invited people based on location.
I'm talking about people who have already been invited to configure.
I reserved on 3/31. If I configure and order my car with white interior on Friday (an option Tesla said would be available six months ago!) they're going to invite someone who reserved after me and build their car first? I feel like I'm in crazy town here. haha

again dude, they've already been doing that. you reserved on 3/31 and yet there have still been people who may have reserved after you that were invited and have their cars already, because you want an option that's not currently available. it has been that way from the beginning.