Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dual Motor priority?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
again dude, they've already been doing that. you reserved on 3/31 and yet there have still been people who may have reserved after you that were invited and have their cars already, because you want an option that's not currently available. it has been that way from the beginning.
I don't expect them to stop the production line until I order. haha.
They have been allowing people who deferred to order. I just expect that to continue after they make new options available.
So when they send you your invite will they not allow you to configure the new options? Or will only people who deferred not be allowed to order the new options? I'm still trying to wrap my head around this.

seriously? because i want first production, that's why. that's how they've been prioritizing it from the beginning. there are separate queues, there always have been.

i don't get why this is so complicated to understand.
I wouldn't say that they've been prioritizing first production, it's the only option currently available!
It seems like we'll have to agree to disagree. We'll know soon! The suspense is killing me :)

I wouldn't say that they've been prioritizing first production, it's the only option currently available!
It seems like we'll have to agree to disagree. We'll know soon! The suspense is killing me :)

lol, exactly! just because they make another option available doesn't mean they're going to stop first production entirely to service that new option...otherwise there's no way it would take them 6+ months at 5000 per week to fill them all.

3/31 line waiter and non owner . Got invited to configure last week. Waiting for dual motor. Does anyone have any insight into how they will prioritize when those with invites to configure can order a dual Motor M3? First come first served or will when go employee, owner, non-owner?

3/31 line waiter also. I received my invite to configure about 1.5 months ago.

Concerning dual motor priority.....I believe the game has changed. The more options available the more lines get created.

For example:

The line for just Dual Motor might be 10K strong. $70K

The line for Dual Motor Performance "all buttons checked" might be 500 long. $80K

The profit margins on Dual Motor Performance "all buttons checked" is going to be tremendous because items such as FSD ( $3k ) is 100% profit right now and software later. Tesla loves huge profit margins ( as they should ).

Dual Motor Performance "all buttons checked" ( line waiter or not ) will probably be made first ( and jump all lines ) without really impacting ( because of so few people being able to afford this version ) the Tesla tax benefit......in my estimation. <-------which is one of the main reasons I'm buying this version.

Last edited:
lol, exactly! just because they make another option available doesn't mean they're going to stop first production entirely to service that new option...otherwise there's no way it would take them 6+ months at 5000 per week to fill them all.
I never said they would stop first production, just that they would fill orders of people they have already invited before they invite more people.
Now it's possible that they are supply constrained in producing white interiors and/or dual motor. Or maybe they want to make sure the white seats and dual motor work before they ship them to too many people. I could see them sending out more invites before they've filled all the new orders in that case. But they have a strong financial incentive to ramp up dual motor and performance production as fast as possible. Remember the only reason they chose the current configuration was because it is high margin.

I never said they would stop first production, just that they would fill orders of people they have already invited before they invite more people.
Now it's possible that they are supply constrained in producing white interiors and/or dual motor. Or maybe they want to make sure the white seats and dual motor work before they ship them to too many people. I could see them sending out more invites before they've filled all the new orders in that case. But they have a strong financial incentive to ramp up dual motor and performance production as fast as possible. Remember the only reason they chose the current configuration was because it is high margin.

The highest profit margined Model S and X is the P100D.

Makes you wonder.......which Model 3 version would Tesla love to make right now and get rolling out of the door ASAP.

Tesla To Show Profit In 3rd & 4th Quarters (2018), CEO Elon Musk Says | CleanTechnica

The highest profit margined Model S and X is the P100D.

Makes you wonder.......which Model 3 version would Tesla love to make right now and get rolling out of the door ASAP.

Tesla To Show Profit In 3rd & 4th Quarters (2018), CEO Elon Musk Says | CleanTechnica
Yeah, it's crazy how much people are willing to pay for just a power upgrade. The 100D is already ridiculously quick! I see tons of P100Ds around here though.
Makes me a little bit scared that the Performance Model 3 will be more than I want to pay.

Yeah, it's crazy how much people are willing to pay for just a power upgrade. The 100D is already ridiculously quick! I see tons of P100Ds around here though.
Makes me a little bit scared that the Performance Model 3 will be more than I want to pay.

Let me put it this way...for me, the P100D Model S is an option. The P Model 3 D is going to be a tremendous savings.

Now the Roadster.....that's just ludicrous to me.

The Roadster is literally house money.