Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dual Motor Worth the Premium?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I am looking at used Model S here in the UK, specifically the 75kWh battery, as I do little milage and when I do a long trip its 150 miles, so should be fine with a 75kWh and charging.

I have seen a few cars that I like and fit the bill, however I am at conflict over the Dual Motors.
I wasnt planning on getting a D, as used to RWD and have no desire or specific need in the past for AWD, but I have read on some forums it makes a "big" difference on the MS.

So the question is, is the dual motor worth paying an extra £5k or so for on and also with potentially more miles, over a lower mileage non D?

I suppose it all depends on how much the £5k or the slightly better mile per charge matter to you. My car was originally a 60D and I paid the money to upgrade it to a 75D so I felt it was worth doing although I never had any problem with the original lower capacity. I chose the D as we live in the country down a long drive.

Having driven both RWD and 'D' extensively I feel the RWD is quieter due to the lack of front motor whine. The main benefit IMO with D is that you get better traction while accelerating and turning, for example when entering a busy 45 mph road from a side street, turning 90 deg while immediately accelerating to 45 mph into a gap. That said, RWD MS is much better than most cars in that maneuver, but D is better yet.

I have a Model S P85 and I've had occasion to compare it to a non-P AWD Model S 85 and the handling on the AWD is noticeably better. The car corners and accelerates with more connectivity to the road. It's very nice. Now, to the Model 3. I bought a LR RWD and love it. My only regret, though, is that I didn't spring for the extra money to get AWD on the 3.

I had the same dilemma.£5000 more for the D or not.
In the end I justified it by wanting the extra security in bad weather ice and snow as I live on a steep hill and would kick myself if i spun off the road with the rear wheel version.
So far in the snow it's been a breeze.
They discontinued the rear drive a few weeks after I purchased mine.

In my head the D means increased overall tyre wear as all wheels driving, and also another motor to worry about?

In reality it just means more even wear on all four tyres. As for another motor to worry about, at least you have 2 motors instead of 1 in the even of a failure so you might limp home. Not that I would worry too much about the motors in any case. For £5K I would take the 75D any day and you'll get at least some of that £5K back on resale later on unless you are planning to run it into the ground.

Reactions: DJP31
Late reply, but FWIW I had a 2WD loaner and in the wet it squirmed all over the road. Never had that, in any weather, with AWD. There's a roundabout here (with Lights) with a left turn onto slip road to dual carriageway. Gives me a kick when I manage to be first at the lights because I can make that turn on WOT (P model S) with no loss of traction at all ... although I've not tried that in the wet :)