Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dual Motor Y, but VIN decodes as Perfomance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
*decodes

I got my Model Y Long Range Dual Motor this week. When I added it to my Farmers insurance I gave them the VIN, it shows up as Model Y Performance in their system.

I then punched the VIN into Tesla VIN decoder and see the same result.

My VIN position 8 is F, indicating Performance and not E which would be Standard Model Y Dual Motor.

The car indicates that it’s standard Dual Motor, as does the App, and paperwork.

Anyone seen this with their cars? Is Tesla making just Performance Y’s and software locking them as standard Dual Motors?

9533C506-AA7F-4AE9-ADF0-A923E1872956.jpeg
2542415E-E0ED-46FC-8D1D-CEEC8C2BA20B.png

Reactions: frankvb
This is very curious to me. Is it actually a stealth performance? How can you actually tell if it’s faster ? Are there any other indicators of it actually being a performance model? I’m not sure how the VIN could list it as such without having the features. You would potentially be penalized with insurance. A few other folks mentioned they had a similar F marking in their VIN.

So after doing some research, the model 3 had a similar thing. It seems that the F just means dual motor including performance. The 3s still had a different rear motor, I'm assuming the same thing happens here for whatever reason.

This is very curious to me. Is it actually a stealth performance?
How can you actually tell if it’s faster ? Are there any other indicators of it actually being a performance model?
I’m not sure how the VIN could list it as such without having the features.
You would potentially be penalized with insurance.
A few other folks mentioned they had a similar F marking in their VIN.
The insurance is also based on the price you pay for the car.

Reactions: Matsayz
The VIN number do not show which battery size (SR, MR, or LR) you have, only 'E' for Lithium-Ion. .

The "E" being referenced was for the 8th digit, or drivetrain, not 7th for battery type. His VIN has F for the 8th instead of E, which I think will be only for the single motor variants.

It's possible the have the same motors in both for sale of production speed and allow you to pay to upgrade, but considering the steeper cost of a larger motor, and that it's the high power one and not the cheaper one they developed for the model 3, it's a gamble that people will pay for the upgrade making their margin lower. If that all makes sense.

*decodes

I got my Model Y Long Range Dual Motor this week. When I added it to my Farmers insurance I gave them the VIN, it shows up as Model Y Performance in their system.

I then punched the VIN into Tesla VIN decoder and see the same result.

My VIN position 8 is F, indicating Performance and not E which would be Standard Model Y Dual Motor.

The car indicates that it’s standard Dual Motor, as does the App, and paperwork.

Anyone seen this with their cars? Is Tesla making just Performance Y’s and software locking them as standard Dual Motors?

View attachment 527047View attachment 527048
Using the Tesla VIN decoder, I got the same result as you on my AWD long range. Some of the explanations above seem reasonable to me. Who knows, though.

I'm in the same boat with my Y - the vin shows it as performance (confirmed by two insurance companies I quoted insurance with). I asked if this matters for the quote and they said no, it's based on the body style (crossover) and the price.
Makes me feel a little better I suppose.

• Informative
Reactions: Sam123
I ordered a Model Y Long Range on Friday and am supposed to accept delivery this week. I was surprised to see Tesla Insurance quote me for a 2023 Model Y Performance (not the LR that I ordered)? The service advisor confirmed my car will actually be the LR and provided me with a phone number to call Tesla Insurance. But I think the issue is because I also have an F in position 8 of the assigned VIN number (which identifies a Dual Motor - Performance). I have found many threads about this issue with mostly Model 3 and Model Y vehicles, but still don't really know why this is happening. One thread said they use a 990 motor on the LR and a 980 on the Performance and, in some cases, they may have low inventory on the 990 and just throw in the 980 motor but still have the software run the car as a LR.

Has anyone else confirmed why Tesla will sometimes reference a Performance vehicle in the LR VIN?

Very odd, my LR shows as a Standard? My presumption is E and F are the only two options. Would be VERY curious to know what motors your vehicle is equipped with. As this may be the difference, maybe yours is a Performance motor with LR power firmware applied?

Would be VERY curious to know what motors your vehicle is equipped with. As this may be the difference, maybe yours is a Performance motor with LR power firmware applied?
My MYLR was delivered last night and the software is definitely programmed to run as a LR. I wanted to verify my motor but it appears Tesla has just started to cover the model # with black plastic (see attached pic). My car was built in Austin in December 2022, VIN PA049XXX.

Attachments

• Tesla Motor Cover.JPG
    Tesla Motor Cover.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 133
I found a very knowledgeable person in in the M3 forum and it turns out I may have one of the first Model Y vehicles in North America with a brand new hairpin winding stator motor, called the 4D1. This is equivalent to the 980 (typically used on the Performance) with the 4D5 equal to the 990 (typically used for the LR). Unfortunately not much is known about this motor yet, I wonder if any of the other recent MY deliveries are receiving a 4D1 or 4D5 hairpin motor (previous generation motors have the wire winding stator)?

The black plastic wasn't actually covering the placard, I was looking in the wrong place - my motor has it just below the boot on the rear left CV axle. In short, Tesla put on their latest generation performance motor on my LR. What's odd is my build is from Austin and that factory doesn't even make Performance vehicles. I'm attaching a pic of the motor's placard and the other thread can be found here:

Attachments

• Tesla Motor Model #.jpg
    Tesla Motor Model #.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
There was a thread a while ago about Performance motors being installed in "normal" MYs

IIRC it went something like the Performance has a 980 motor and the "normal" one has a 990 - or something like that and if you looked closely in one of the wheel arches, you could see the model number stamped on the end of the motor

...which is similar to what the previous post said

I think it was this thread Model Y SR has 980 Motor

I found a very knowledgeable person in in the M3 forum and it turns out I may have one of the first Model Y vehicles in North America with a brand new hairpin winding stator motor, called the 4D1. This is equivalent to the 980 (typically used on the Performance) with the 4D5 equal to the 990 (typically used for the LR). Unfortunately not much is known about this motor yet, I wonder if any of the other recent MY deliveries are receiving a 4D1 or 4D5 hairpin motor (previous generation motors have the wire winding stator)?

The black plastic wasn't actually covering the placard, I was looking in the wrong place - my motor has it just below the boot on the rear left CV axle. In short, Tesla put on their latest generation performance motor on my LR. What's odd is my build is from Austin and that factory doesn't even make Performance vehicles. I'm attaching a pic of the motor's placard and the other thread can be found here:

So it seems we have the reason why your car is listed as performance! F means you have the 990 (or equivalent) and E means you're equipped with the performance motor!

Reactions: SpicyPaneer
So it seems we have the reason why your car is listed as performance! F means you have the 990 (or equivalent) and E means you're equipped with the performance motor!
It's possible the 8th VIN position only identifies the installed motor, but I don't know why they would report that way. There have also been instances where that position reports a LR but has a P motor To clarify, the 980 is the Performance motor and 990 LR, but I don't have either motor, I have the new 4D5 Performance motor on the rear and 3D3 motor on the front.

Pretty sure I have normal LR 0-60 performance due to software restrictions. I do have an option to upgrade my speed for $2k, but that half second isn't important to me,

Last edited:
Reactions: SpicyPaneer
It's possible the 8th VIN position only identifies the installed motor, but I don't know why they would report that way. There have also been instances where that position reports a LR but has a P motor To clarify, the 980 is the Performance motor and 990 LR, but I don't have either motor, I have the new 4D5 Performance motor on the rear and 3D3 motor on the front.

Pretty sure I have normal LR 0-60 performance due to software restrictions. I do have an option to upgrade my speed for $2k, but that half second isn't important to me,
Save the $2k and put it toward a vacation instead, .5 second is nothing

I was mostly saying the same thing, it’s the installed equipment, not the power curve.