Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dual Motors - Different Rear and Front Motors?

Jweiner

May 19, 2019
Milwaukee, WI
I was just looking over my invoice, and I noticed that the rear motor is described as a three phase, six pole, internal permanent magnet motor and the front motor is described as a three phase, four pole, induction motor. Can someone simplify this description for me and explain why the two motors aren't the same?

MP3Mike

Feb 1, 2016
Oregon
The difference is that the induction motor can be put to sleep when not need for efficiency purposes. the PM, permanent magnet, motors have to have power applied to them any time they are turning, so while they are more efficient when making the car move, they are less efficient if they aren't needed.

Normally Tesla has the gearing slightly different between front and rear so one is more efficient at cruising while the other has more power for take-offs.

• Informative
Reactions: pk44FG

chillaban

May 5, 2016
Bay Area
Additionally having two motors of different designs is supposed to improve reliability since it means the same design defect is unlikely to affect both.
From an engineering standpoint promoting some internal competition between two top runner designs results on a stronger product too.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC