TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Dual/Multi Plug Charing?

Discussion in 'Technical' started by LakeForest, Oct 18, 2012.

1. LakeForest

LakeForest Member

Not an electrical engineer but wondering if it would be possible and economical for a model S or other EV to have 2 charge ports(one on left as currently but add one on right) I see this having a few advantages...

1.can have car parked in any garage(for 2 car garages it would greatly simplify charger mounting)

2. 2x power supercharge by having a supercharger on each side of the car and divide the battery pack into two parts so supercharging could be even faster. This could be for says a 100 kwh pack and make the ultimate road trip machine. Also, having multiple charge ports could make an electric semi feasible... Put 4 Model s packs together for ~12 inches under semi but have 4 charge ports to charge separate packs making it quicker. This could give a semi with properly equipped supercharger about 170 kWh power in 30 min
    of course if you only plug in one side in the car/truck will charge but at a slower rate (and all packs involved?)

Thoughts?

2. arg

arg Member

Your #1 is perfectly doable, but not clear if it's worth the cost in both dollar terms and in weight - 80A contactors and associated wiring are neither light nor cheap, and there's extra bodywork stiffening to account for.

Your #2 is would not achieve anything. The supercharger, when charging the 85kWh pack is limited by the pack, not the charger: Tesla have already indicated that superchargers can deliver up to 120kW for future vehicles, while the 85kWh Model S is limited to 80kW (and the 60kWh model even less).

I suspect your truck powered by 4 Model S powertrains wouldn't have enough range (due to aerodynamics), but I don't have numbers to prove that. The economics also seem doubtful...

3. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

"Charing" - Freudian slip?