TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

Dual/Multi Plug Charing?

Discussion in 'Technical' started by LakeForest, Oct 18, 2012.

1. LakeForest

LakeForest Member

Aug 16, 2012
    Not an electrical engineer but wondering if it would be possible and economical for a model S or other EV to have 2 charge ports(one on left as currently but add one on right) I see this having a few advantages...

1.can have car parked in any garage(for 2 car garages it would greatly simplify charger mounting)

2. 2x power supercharge by having a supercharger on each side of the car and divide the battery pack into two parts so supercharging could be even faster. This could be for says a 100 kwh pack and make the ultimate road trip machine. Also, having multiple charge ports could make an electric semi feasible... Put 4 Model s packs together for ~12 inches under semi but have 4 charge ports to charge separate packs making it quicker. This could give a semi with properly equipped supercharger about 170 kWh power in 30 min
    of course if you only plug in one side in the car/truck will charge but at a slower rate (and all packs involved?)

2. arg

arg Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Cambridge, UK
    Your #1 is perfectly doable, but not clear if it's worth the cost in both dollar terms and in weight - 80A contactors and associated wiring are neither light nor cheap, and there's extra bodywork stiffening to account for.

Your #2 is would not achieve anything. The supercharger, when charging the 85kWh pack is limited by the pack, not the charger: Tesla have already indicated that superchargers can deliver up to 120kW for future vehicles, while the 85kWh Model S is limited to 80kW (and the 60kWh model even less).

I suspect your truck powered by 4 Model S powertrains wouldn't have enough range (due to aerodynamics), but I don't have numbers to prove that. The economics also seem doubtful...
  3. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Apr 2, 2010
    Ottawa, Canada
    "Charing" - Freudian slip?