Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dual Tesla Household

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

NewTMSMan

Aug 21, 2017
USA
Like quite a few of you, we are now a dual Tesla household. Picked up a Model X 100D to add to our Model S P100D yesterday:

28hev74.jpg

Who drives the S and who drives the X? In our household it's her Roadster and our S. ;)

I now drive the S, and she drives the X. S with Ludicrous was wasted on her ;)

I would be interested knowing about your charging ports! Do you have a 200 Amp panel?

I have 400 Amp service (2 x 200 Amp panels) at the house and currently have one wall charger only with a 100 Amp line to it. Might add a second wall charger piggybacked off the first, but not sure I will need it, I only commute 10 miles round trip, when I do go in to the office and am home most days and she commutes 60 miles round trip so daily charging of both cars is not necessary for us.

I now drive the S, and she drives the X. S with Ludicrous was wasted on her ;)

I have 400 Amp service (2 x 200 Amp panels) at the house and currently have one wall charger only with a 100 Amp line to it. Might add a second wall charger piggybacked off the first, but not sure I will need it, I only commute 10 miles round trip, when I do go in to the office and am home most days and she commutes 60 miles round trip so daily charging of both cars is not necessary for us.

I'm glad we don't have Ludicrous... my better half is the "faster" driver than I. I prefer range... (S85 in '13 had best range).

As for daisychaining HPWC, that seems like a great feature for newer Tesla only homes... however, a NEMA 14-50 is always a good, cost effective option. At 10 miles, you can charge off a standard 120V home service just fine and be done in 2.5 hours.

Reactions: NewTMSMan
I would be interested knowing about your charging ports! Do you have a 200 Amp panel?
We have two HPWC, one in the garage shared by the X and S and and one in our shop as a backup. We've never used the one in the shop. The garage/house panel is 200A 240V. The shop is a sub-panel to the house at 125A 240V. The house HPWC is on a 100A circuit pulling 80A. The shop is on 90A circuit pulling 72A. We also have 14KW solar array and often we charge in the middle of the day as we generate more energy than we use.

Reactions: NewTMSMan