Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dual Tesla Household

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like quite a few of you, we are now a dual Tesla household. Picked up a Model X 100D to add to our Model S P100D yesterday:

28hev74.jpg

Congrats! Awesome cars and colour choices. I especially love the X.

My wife and I are contemplating becoming a two Tesla family as well but our only reservation is the Canadian EV car infrastructure is nowhere near as complete as the US (especially Tesla Superchargers). I am growing more confident we could still make it work. My wife is dying to trade her 2016 RX350 and upgrade to a X100D.

Reactions: NewTMSMan
Very nice! You'd have to be dating the CEO of our utility to get that. And it would still take them 18 months.

OK, easy now . . . Lol. . . Not everyone gets electrical engineering. . .why not explain it to them, rather than be a smartie pants? I'm in real estate ops an know enough to be dangerous, but will let you explain capacity / demand and the single transformer they have out back. . .

Dating the CEO was a good funny though. . .

OK, easy now . . . Lol. . . Not everyone gets electrical engineering. . .why not explain it to them, rather than be a smartie pants? I'm in real estate ops an know enough to be dangerous, but will let you explain capacity / demand and the single transformer they have out back. . .

Dating the CEO was a good funny though. . .
Wasn't meaning to be a smartie pants. More jealous than anything. With two EVs, I worry about major voltage drop if I want to dry my clothes at the same time...

• Funny
Reactions: Sully's8
2 separate lines to the house in to 2 separate panels. 400 Amp service
Wow!!! How big is your mansion? :)

- Is it because of the AC that you need 400 Amp?
I wonder if your house was intalled with a 200 Amp panel,
and then you added a second 200 Amp for the EV chargers?

- What kind of metering plan and rates (if I may ask) do you have?

I live near San Francisco in a 3-story building with 30 units,
each unit has a stove range (220 v, 3 kw ?) no AC
Building has elevator, all heating with natural gas (only used for the dryers)
There is a gas heater in each unit (but I never used).

Well, the panel in the garage is rated 600 Amp 110 v
But there are 3 phases, so may be 3 x 600 Amp x 110 v ?,
or may be only 1.7 x 600 App x 110 v ? (1.7 is square root of 3)

There is a transformer just outside of the building on top of a pole,
the transformer is like a cylinder about 12" diameter and 32" tall

PG&E provides special rate for EV charging in our area (EV-A, EV-B, E1., ETOU)
Making sense of the rates
I plan to get an L2 plug in the garage using a single or a second meter,
but since I'm renting I'm not sure if I will be able to do so...

House was built with 400 Amp service, I spec'd it when I built the house to allow for expansion. House is pretty decent size and I have 3 AC units. My utility closet looks like an industrial building as I have a panel for my generator, 2 panels for the house and an additional sub-panel I installed when I put the generator in.

Electricity pricing in NJ is not great, I pay $0.182 / kWh full cost. There is an option for Time of Use service pricing, but not sure yet if it makes sense for me as I work from home most days and the HVAC is running during the day as well as refrigerators which are my major consumers other than the cars.

Welcome to the club- we too have two Teslas- We've had them since 2014- our house has 400 amp service, but with only 1 panel with a 225Amp main breaker- it was a challenge to get the calculations to work out for the 2nd charger- we have a Blink ( we got it with the LEAF we had before getting the first Model S) and a HPWC set to 64Amps- the max we could get and meet the code- The house is all electric, but not too large- compared to others- We have Time of use service so we charge both at night for between 11 and 12 cents/KWH. Our daughter drives a Volt, so other than the old Tahoe we keep around for hauling stuff from Home Depot- we are pretty much all electric now.

Reactions: NewTMSMan
When we got our Tesla on May 16, 2017, we were a 2-EV household (2013 Leaf and 2017 MS75D). Two weeks later my wife was rear-ended in the Leaf by a Ford F-150 which the Insurance totaled. I am so happy we had not gotten rid of our 2012 Mit Lancer because that is now my wife's daily driver again until we get the Tesla Model 3. We will be a 2-Tesla household as soon as we are able to get our M3 which should be soon. If we want something other than that offered, it may be early 2018.