Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dude converts to EV 10 yrs ago ends up working at Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Stumbled on this on YouTube and wanted to share. Sorry if he's been featured already on this site but new to me.

This is taken from the page:

To answer some of the common questions being asked in the comment section:

- This conversion started in 2008 before the Nissan Leaf or Chevy Volt were released, the only way to get an EV was to build one. I spent about 500 hours (1 day per week for a year) getting the car to the point it was a daily driver, inspected and registered electric with the DMV.

- My EV conversion helped me land job at Tesla, where I was Sr. Staff Controls engineer in the Powertrain equipment engineering team, 2011-2018. I drove the car in to my interview, and gave a 30 min presentation on it. I consider it my rolling resume.

- I have a B.S. degree in Mechatronic engineering from California State University Chico. It's a 4 year program combining Electrical, Mechanical and Software engineering, it was the first college in the country to offer this degree. I'm now a voluntary advisory board member at Chico State.

- Total cost for my converted EV was $25k People like to compare this to buying $25k in gas, ignoring the fact that a new car will typically depreciate $25k in 10 years.

- Assuming 25 mpg, and $4/gallon gas (California prices), 90k miles would be about $14,400 in gasoline. In addition, $1,000 in oil changes, $1000+ in maintenance (timing belt, water pump...)

- Cost to charge: Our electric bill actually went down once I started charging the car, because we also switched to a time of use rate plan. After midnight, electric rates were $0.03/kwh, my car gets 3 miles per kWh, and I charge at work 50% of the time. For 1,000 miles, my cost would be $5 if I charged at home 50% of the time. Rates have recently gone up to $0.09/kwh but we have enough solar generation to offset our utility bill.

- Range should be about 100 miles, but I never drove past 70 to maximize battery longevity. I was driving 50-100 miles a day for 8 years, until I retired and bought a Tesla Model 3.

- The converted car weights 3,700 lbs, about 500 lbs heavier than it was stock with the 4 cylinder engine. Most of that 500lbs was added to the rear, about the weight of 3 passengers. I had custom springs wound so the car would sit level. It now has almost perfect 50/50 weight distribution. The V6 Passat variant with automatic transmission weighs 3,600 lbs; the W12 variant is 5,400 lbs.

- About Safety:
Yes, the ABS and airbags still work. The structure of the vehicle is unmodified.
LiFePo4 batteries are fairly inert, even after driving nails through them, they don't catch fire. Brakes work awesome with disc brakes and regen brakes.

- More info on the BMS can be found here:
http://www.thunderstruck-ev.com/Manua...

- Not shown in the video:
I have a vacuum pump to run the brake booster, it's mounted under the front battery pack.
I also have an emergency stop button on the lower dash panel. Turning the key off will also open the main power contactors if needed as a secondary redundant shut off.

-The Passat was built with a throttle by wire system. It outputs 1.5 - 4 volts, I have my VFD programmed to detect a fault if the voltage is outside of this window (broken wire, short circuit...)

- Why didn't I use a clutch?
I wasn't sure if the bearings in the motor could take the thrust load (xxx lbs) of the clutch throw out bearing pushing on the motor shaft. Adding a clutch means adding a flywheel, which requires more machining tolerance and higher force on the taper lock fitting I was using. It would also require balancing the flywheel to 9k rpm. Most EVs that use an AC motor use a single speed gearbox.

- I also did a Mazda Rotary engine & 5 speed in my MG Midget, and a Subaru flat 6 engine in my Porsche 914.