Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Duke Energy off-peak charging - AVOID

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So how much do you pay duke now?
Sorry for late response.

Same as mentioned before around ~$35 per month…. sometimes $0 per month if I have the credit payout. Usually I get around $80 to $140 credit pay out per year for excess Solar electricity production(before I had a Tesla or EV). But that dries up fairly fast as I need to pay $35 per month.

Now that am charging my Tesla I probably won’t get the $80 credit pay out per year if any at all… However it looks like I am saving close to $150 to $200 per month in gas money. By mainly using my Tesla for long drives and charging at home.

Reactions: Edtreo
I recently bought my second Model 3 and was about to sign up the new one for the Off-Peak Charging Credit Program as well, but after reading all the comments here, I'm re-thinking it. Does it still wake up your car every 30 minutes or have they stopped doing it now?

I don’t think they have any other way to know if it’s charging, but I’m not willing to try them to find out.

I travel a lot and often have to leave the car at the airport unplugged.
Don’t want to come back after a long trip and find my traction battery at 0% just to save $10/mo

I don’t think they have any other way to know if it’s charging, but I’m not willing to try them to find out.

I travel a lot and often have to leave the car at the airport unplugged.
Don’t want to come back after a long trip and find my traction battery at 0% just to save $10/mo
Yea, I've noticed the battery going down faster, now that the old one sits on the drive-way unplugged most of the time. I've decided not to sign the new one up for the Duke program. I've decided to keep the old one active as I'm planning to trade it in for the CyberTruck, so I don't mind the wear and tear of the battery due to waking up every 30 minutes.

Duke imposed a minimum charge amount of $30 (obviously with approval from the Public Service Commission) regardless of how much energy is used, which I think should be illegal, paying for something that is not delivered, just because they want more money.
Which is pretty much to target solar users that were only paying the customer charge or connection fees of around $13.
I have solar, and produce more than I use so I pay $33.37.
Here's what it looks like... this to me is theft in plain sight.
FPL is not doing this, and FPL also has significantly lower $/kWh rates than Duke.

View attachment 923622
I have Clay Electric, they told me if I get the point I produce more than I need and I dont want a bill to just stop paying and they will come disconnect me for free! I think I need about 20kw more of batteries and to get my whole home backup generator hooked up to my Enphase combiner box first😂

Reactions: heymull
Just wanted to update this post for anyone who finds it in the future. I just signed up for this program and it still does wake the car every 30 minutes, but *only* during peak times (5am-10am and 6pm to 9pm). So it wakes the car roughly 13 times per day. I'm going to keep it for now.

Just wanted to update this post for anyone who finds it in the future. I just signed up for this program and it still does wake the car every 30 minutes, but *only* during peak times (5am-10am and 6pm to 9pm). So it wakes the car roughly 13 times per day. I'm going to keep it for now.
Thanks for the update there. I have this set up and didn’t know it was doing this. I just bought a new one as well so was thinking about setting it up. Not to sure yet but more likely to with your note.

EDIT: Scratch that. Won’t this wake it up if I park it else where too? like the airport for a week? I did that last year and found the battery much lower than I expected, as I’m really good at not checking and leaving it alone when I don’t need it.

Thanks for the update there. I have this set up and didn’t know it was doing this. I just bought a new one as well so was thinking about setting it up. Not to sure yet but more likely to with your note.

EDIT: Scratch that. Won’t this wake it up if I park it else where too? like the airport for a week? I did that last year and found the battery much lower than I expected, as I’m really good at not checking and leaving it alone when I don’t need it.
Yep, it'll wake up there as well. I've observed this behavior when I'm out, although it doesn't affect me in that circumstance because I generally keep the car awake with sentry mode. It's not a ton of power, but it's not zero, so it's something to consider. If you change your account password it will cut them off.

Yep, it'll wake up there as well. I've observed this behavior when I'm out, although it doesn't affect me in that circumstance because I generally keep the car awake with sentry mode. It's not a ton of power, but it's not zero, so it's something to consider. If you change your account password it will cut them off.

change your Tesla account password?

Thanks for the update. RER has given until 2/15 to reauthenticate, I'm considering whether to do it or not. Have you noticed how much energy those 13 wake cycles consume by any chance?

Thanks for the update. RER has given until 2/15 to reauthenticate, I'm considering whether to do it or not. Have you noticed how much energy those 13 wake cycles consume by any chance?
The following is from RER after I balked at their seemingly over-the-top intrusiveness: "The only permission you need to select in order to stay in the program is Vehicle Information. We need access to your vehicle's location in order to determine if charging is happening at home or away. However, we do not record specific locations, only if the location in question matches the home address on file."

Also in RER's responses, "The other two permission groups (Vehicle Commands, and Vehicle Charging Management), are both intended for programs where we are responsible for scheduling charging on a customer's behalf, and would not be necessary for participation in the Duke program."