Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Duke's Garage - eSpeedster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow. I'm away for a while, then I come back and everything looks different here!

So, I've been continuing to ponder my "electric runabout" options, and this outfit really caught my eye:

http://www.dukesgaragellc.com/

The eSpeedster looks very cool. They are aiming for 70-7-70 performance: 70 miles range, 7 hour charge time, 70 MPH maximum speed. That sounds pretty reasonable for a car of this type and purpose.

My biggest qualm is that it doesn't seem like they've sold many (any?) to actual customers yet, plus they are in Colorado while I am here in Texas. I know I'm usually an "early adopter" but I have some limits. I feel like somebody who lives closer to the shop should be the guinea pig for this experiment.

I have learned some things about conversions too. There are a lot of people who've done conversions, but not a whole lot who've done them yet with lithium. Most of them have experience making lead buggies, and there is quite a learning curve when moving to li-ion batteries. I know there are a few scam artists out there, but I'm actually more worried about running into the guys who really are honest and well-intentioned but don't quite know what they're doing yet.

No specific comment about Duke's Garage, but:

IMHO, there are quite a few conversions done with inadequate BMS. Something to watch out for.
It is somewhat straightforward to get piles of off the shelf Thundersky batts, string them together through a DC controller (e.g.: Zilla or Curtis) and to an off the shelf motor, and an adapter plate to a conventional transmission... But the BMS is what really determines a well done conversion. You need to find a good quality shop if you want a battery pack that will last for years. Too many instances of overcharge, undercharged, or unbalanced charge and your expensive battery pack is toast.

Oh, and doing the accessories right is another hard part. Well integrated, quiet, effective air conditioning is not a given.