Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dull paint patch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was cleaning by MSM model 3 today and noticed a dull patch in the paintwork, on the rear passenger side door, about an inch in diameter.

There is no obvious scratch or other imperfection, but the area is matte rather than shiny like the rest of the car. I wondered if it was something like sun cream off the kids hands, but I can’t shift it with water, car shampoo or by waxing.

It’s possible it was there from the factory (only had the car six weeks) but I think I would have spotted it.

Anyone else had this or have any ideas how to fix?

thanks
Tim

I was cleaning by MSM model 3 today and noticed a dull patch in the paintwork, on the rear passenger side door, about an inch in diameter.

There is no obvious scratch or other imperfection, but the area is matte rather than shiny like the rest of the car. I wondered if it was something like sun cream off the kids hands, but I can’t shift it with water, car shampoo or by waxing.

It’s possible it was there from the factory (only had the car six weeks) but I think I would have spotted it.

Anyone else had this or have any ideas how to fix?

thanks
Tim
Assuming its not a black car then it sounds like a void in the lacquer which sounds like a manufacturing defect or a botched attempt to fix a defect pre delivery but it is possible something has splashed on it and damaged it, though unlikely. Or it could have been very very thin and you have polished thought it.
these things are hard to photograph but pictures would help.
If the paint is OK but the lacquer is missing it can probably be fixed just by re lacquering the panel

Does it look like remnants of bird droppings? I had similar in a few places on my car, I presume it must've been from when the cars are shipped over, as they are - to my knowledge - out in the open rather than inside shipping containers. Since mine got delivered straight from Southampton docks I presume there was little/no PDI.

Hard to photograph, but mine looked like this:

IMG_3773.jpeg

I couldn't remove them with a clean either, but they were removed when I had the car detailed.

Ok, yeah, that's not bird droppings. Does that patch feel at all rougher to the touch?

Have you flagged this as a service request? It is possible that it could be fixed with a machine polish, hard to say without seeing it up close (and I'm not a detailer).

It feels ever-so-slightly rougher to touch.

I have an existing service request to fix a minuscule paint chip recorded at collection. Do you think they will also take a look at this problem, given I didn't notice it at collection? I will try and add it to the service request notes..

depends how long it's been, this is the sort of thing their somewhat loosely specified 100 miles/1 week type reporting period is for.
If it's outside of this they could argue that it's a scuff as this type of thing can easily happen. I have something almost identical on my leaf that "appeared" one day.
It's easily done by someone burning through the lacquer trying to polish out a run or mark in the paint , but you're in a your word against theirs situation, so I guess it's how friendly they are feeling on the day. Failing all that it's not expensive to get someone to touch it up as they're not colour matching or anything.

I found two on my MSM about size of pound coin - I used some autoglym scratch remover followed by a good local polish, which seemed to sort out my problem.

On a separate note, anyone found any dents where the two bottom corners of the rear number plate holder was - I've fitted a vinyl rear and under certain angles you can notice them if you know what you're looking for.

I found two on my MSM about size of pound coin - I used some autoglym scratch remover followed by a good local polish, which seemed to sort out my problem.

On a separate note, anyone found any dents where the two bottom corners of the rear number plate holder was - I've fitted a vinyl rear and under certain angles you can notice them if you know what you're looking for.
Thanks - could you let me know the exact autoglym product you used (seem to be tons). And do you mean you polished yourself or had this done at a detailers?
Cheers

If you try doing it yourself don't go crazy with rubbing. Somebody, including I imagine Tesla, with a machine polisher would have that sorted in 30 seconds assuming it is just something in the clearcoat.

If you (or they) do polish it out,.its worth putting a coat of wax on the area afterwards as you'll have removed any wax or sealant that would have been there.