TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Dulles Airport EV Charging

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by carrerascott, Nov 24, 2013.

1. carrerascott

carrerascott FUEL FTR

At Dulles today, don't see a thread about it but they have free Chargepoint EV chargers in parking garage 2 (you just pay for parking). 30amp chargers, look to be about 10 spaces and 5 charge units or so. Very convenient covered parking near the walkway to the terminal.

pu5u3ehy.jpg zamahaby.jpg qede2a7u.jpg u3u7ypyn.jpg etujaqys.jpg enara5yb.jpg

2. jthompson

jthompson JThompson

There's talk on teslamotors.com about the Dulles Chargers, but glad you found them!

3. fryfrye

fryfrye Member

Any posted usage restrictions? It would be nice if I were doing an overnight trip (or maybe 2 nights) to be able to park in those spots and come home to a full charge

4. carrerascott

carrerascott FUEL FTR

Nope looks like you can plugin and go travel!

I'm driving up from Charlottesville on Wednesday to pick up some relatives so will be using this. Very good close reserved parking too. :).

Not cheap parking but that's to be expected at Dulles.

5. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

The charge point units have been there for ~2 years. I fly through IAD frequently but have never parked in those spots. I live within 10 miles of the airport and with a 85kWh battery I don't need the range. I've flown out on a Monday and returned on a Saturday and the same cars are still parked there. I am still of the opinion that 50 120V outlets would serve the airport and us better than 8 charge point stations in the daily lot. Probably cost about the same.

Put the charge point units in the hourly parking for the volts and leafs.

Andrew

6. Bifff67

Bifff67 Member

Excellent, thanks for the info. And they tow! great!

PZ: true, don't know why its so hard, we just have to keep hammering on them.
    CS: You can get 80/60 amps at Tysons mall and do a little shopping. Prob not convenient but FYI. And I have 70 amps. You can pretty easily do round trip from C'Ville right? Have a good trip.

7. fryfrye

fryfrye Member

Yes!

8. fryfrye

fryfrye Member

Just got an email from MWAA that they are investigating options to expand charging options in the parking garages. I mentioned the need for 120v outlets and they indicated they were leaning in that direction. Suggest filling out the comment form : Contact Us to provide your opinions. Yes, that is my very very dirty brown model s parked there for the next few days..

9. Kevin Harney

Kevin Harney Active Member

There is also some FREE charging at Mom's Organic Market in Herndon VA that is only 5 miles form the airport. Easy access. No parking fees or restrictions. No idea the level of charging available.

10. AmpedUP

AmpedUP EV Nut

fryfrye...great news from MWAA. Lots of 120 V outlets would perfect.

11. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

We discussed this at length many months ago. I agree completely- long term parking should have 120v outlets, and lots of them.

12. Ven Rala

Ven Rala Member

Restarting this thread as I really appreciate having these chargers, but when I took the last available spot this morning 3 EVs were parked and not plugged in and 1 spot was ICE'd. Please do not park here if you are not charging. Someone else may need the charge. Also on the app it looks like there are open spots if you are not plugged in. Remember there are 110 outlets under the cover. There was a Tesla parked there not plugged in, you know who you are, I will respect your privacy by not posting your license plate, but I am very tempted.

13. AmpedUP

AmpedUP EV Nut

Awww...just tell us, Ven. :wink:

14. DFibRL8R

DFibRL8R Member

This will be an increasing issue for us on the east coast, hopefully lessened by the installation of more chargers. The relative scarcity of EV's here has meant a near certainty that a charger will be unused (ICE'ing excepted). I have now been EV'd at Alamo Cinema in Ashburn and Whole Foods in Virginia Beach. Often these are plug-in hybrid's who depend less on the charge to get by. I'm a big advocate for leaving a sign with contact information on the dash for someone who shows up and really needs a charge as opposed to someone who just likes the idea of having their own special parking spot.

15. CatB

CatB Member

Do the 110 outlets have J1772? Or do you have to bring your UMC? Given what I have learned on the forum about the connector's lifespan, I would rather not have to bring it with me, or risk its getting stolen.

16. Ven Rala

Ven Rala Member

The chargepoint chargers only have one J1772 cord, but have a cover on the stand that you can open and plug your UMC into (a110volt outlet) and the cover closes and locks the UMC plug in place (so it can't be stolen).

17. JST

JST Active Member

So I was in a hurry this morning, but am seriously unimpressed with the chargers at Dulles. First, some but not all of the chargers have two heads, meaning that there are fewer chargers than spots--which is dumb.

Second, apparently you need a ChargePoint card to unlock the charger? Even though the charge is free? That's asinine, especially since ChargePointt refuses to send me a card--it's been nearly 3 months since I registered and still nothing.

Maybe you can call a number to have it unlocked even without a card? I don't know and didn't have time to screw around with it.

Sure would be nice to just have some regular 120V plugs.

Finally, if you drive a Volt or Prius, I'm sorry, but it's a dick move to park in a charging spot at the airport. Burn some gas on the way home and leave the spot for someone that can't get home without juice.

18. JST

JST Active Member

Do they? Couldn't get the covers to open. Maybe you need a ChargePoint card for that, too? So frigging irritating.

Hope the vampire doesn't steal too much while I'm gone.