Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dulles Airport EV Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Double bump

Any news on 120v outlets at Dulles? My trip is coming up soon. I'm going to try to use the 120 outlets on the Chargepoint spots, but looks like there is a lot of hate and discontent over those spots. I'm parking for 10 days so I'm also interested if anyone has had any luck charging with some of the satellite providers.

Double bump

Any news on 120v outlets at Dulles? My trip is coming up soon. I'm going to try to use the 120 outlets on the Chargepoint spots, but looks like there is a lot of hate and discontent over those spots. I'm parking for 10 days so I'm also interested if anyone has had any luck charging with some of the satellite providers.

Daily Garage 1, Lower(est) level, last spots on level 1R and 1U Rows to the left of the center elevator banks (last spot is closest to elevator banks).

Daily Garage 2 has the EV SPOTS.

Last edited:
Well I'm waiting with my family at the Dulles airport. Garage 1 was pretty full and couldn't find any spots near outlets. The Garage 2 EV spots were all taken, including 4 or 5 Teslas. 3 of them were not plugged in. Losers. I took pics.

Yeah that sucks... Starting to become convenient parking as its so close to the walkway into the airport. I'm one to advocate putting chargers in the furthest spots away from anything in a parking lot.

hey- I'm one of those "loozers"...albeit mine is actually charging. I almost took a picture this morning because I thought it was cool how many Tesla's were parked in a row. I agree with a 110 plug, I did feel bad taking up a space knowing that in 5 hours my car will be fully charged but I'm not getting back until tomorrow. But Dulles made that decision so why not use them.

For what it's worth, there are many reasons why someone would park and not charge. I can see how folks would feel more comfortable parking their car with other Tesla's, knowing some ICE jerk isn't going to slam their car door and dent their S (strength in numbers if you will). In fact, one person had a temporary tag brand new titanium S parked there. Maybe they couldn't figure out the charge process (you do have to register) and/or maybe they didn't know the etiquette being a new owner. All I'm trying to say is; shaming isn't a friendly way to help people feel like part of the community.

hey- I'm one of those "loozers"...albeit mine is actually charging. I almost took a picture this morning because I thought it was cool how many Tesla's were parked in a row. I agree with a 110 plug, I did feel bad taking up a space knowing that in 5 hours my car will be fully charged but I'm not getting back until tomorrow. But Dulles made that decision so why not use them.

For what it's worth, there are many reasons why someone would park and not charge. I can see how folks would feel more comfortable parking their car with other Tesla's, knowing some ICE jerk isn't going to slam their car door and dent their S (strength in numbers if you will). In fact, one person had a temporary tag brand new titanium S parked there. Maybe they couldn't figure out the charge process (you do have to register) and/or maybe they didn't know the etiquette being a new owner. All I'm trying to say is; shaming isn't a friendly way to help people feel like part of the community.
Plug me in didn't say not charging, he said not plugged in. So you're not one of those he cited. However I must take issue with your excuses for why a Tesla might be parked in an EV space when not plugged in. Wanting to park by other Teslas to lessen the risk of a door ding is NOT a reason to park a car that doesn't need a charge in a charging spot. And if someone can't figure out the charging process, then they should not stay in the charging space. You're not going to learn how to operate the charging just by sitting there.

No one would fault you for staying plugged in after you car finished charging in an airport parking lot. It's an airport parking lot after all, and everyone knows cars will stay plugged in until the owner returns from their trip. That doesn't excuse owners who park in an EV space and aren't plugged in.

Yeah that sucks... Starting to become convenient parking as its so close to the walkway into the airport. I'm one to advocate putting chargers in the furthest spots away from anything in a parking lot.

Agreed. For hospitality chargers and Superchargers too. I'll happily walk the extra distance if it means not having them congested by non-chargers.

Unfortunately, the distant locations are often the most expensive to run electrical circuits to... :frown:

Yes 3 Teslas not even plugged in. One parked head first!

My car is parked on the other side of the garage now with 44 miles of range and 160 miles to get back home. Hopefully there'll be enough range left to limp over to the Woodbridge SC which, at best, will add a couple of hours on to the jet lagged trip back home.

Yes 3 Teslas not even plugged in. One parked head first!

My car is parked on the other side of the garage now with 44 miles of range

Is there somebody reading this thread/post that lives near or drives by Dulles daily able to move your car for you?
(for future reference , i can usually get to Richmond, Newport News, Norfolk airports if needed)

If nobody responds, maybe consider starting a new "HELP, HELP assistance needed" thread in the evening when this "place" is packed similar to what CatB did a while back.

Can whiskeyrunner move your car when he/she returns?

Last edited:
With all do respect, I'm not comfortable taking the risk of driving someone else's car...as much as I like free power, I do try to charge beforehand and assume a spot won't be open. I see these spots as convenience...either I get a spot or I dont, I can always just park normally. I do know there are a plethora of other charge stations between here and Woodbridge so you don't get stuck.

Being another owner from Central Virginia, one of the problems I face currently is limited infrastructure on our side of the state which, granted, will change once Tesla installs SuperChargers along I-81 in the (hopefully) near future. When I have to travel to Dulles to fly out, the Woodbridge SC is over off of I-95 and to get there is too far out of the way if you are traveling up 29, like I do. The fact that they recommend being at the airport a few hours ahead of time (and the fact that the airport in question is Dulles) makes the thought of "winging it" to a charging station I've never used before (and may not be able to find in a timely manner or at which I might get ICEd) is a matter of concern. At one point, I thought I heard that they were going to put some charging connections at the TyCo Service Center where you could grab a charge, if needed. If Tesla installed a few chargers at the service center and they were available 24/7, that wouldn't be a bad alternative, as TyCo isn't too far from Dulles.