Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dulles Airport EV Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hope you don't mind me reviving an old post. May have an upcoming trip to Dulles with our soon to be delivered Model X. How's the situation at Garage 2 lately? Still overcrowded? I think we should have enough to do a round trip safely from the last SC on our way in, but as we will likely need to stay at the terminal for a couple hours to make sure a relative gets on their plane safely, we'd like to use the down time to top up if possible while at the airport.

I drove to Dulles last week to drop off my family in the Bolt, and I found that all the charging stations and parking spots were taken up. =/ At least they weren't ICE'd.

Seems it is hit or miss on if a spot will be open. I definitely would not depend on a charge at Dulles.

You're right. Plus potentially the extension cord if you used one.

And yet, I vaguely recall a picture where someone rolled down their window and put most of the UMC in the car with only the charging connector hanging out, and then mostly rolled the window up. I think that must have been before we figured out that the car locks the UMC in.

Thanks for the correction, I completely forgot that very important piece of information. I wonder if it was always that way, because I also vaguely remember some very old conversations around people getting unplugged when they didn't stay with their car getting supercharged and then they got bounced down to lower current flow (As the second to plug in). And I know that's not possible now. Gosh, I must officially be an old-timer now...

I recall a similar discussion. I believe if someone without the fob presses the button on the connector while supercharging, it temporarily interrupts the charging and could thus alter the prioritization?

Why in the world do they need higher power chargers in airports? I would settle for plain 110V / 15 A, but they should be widely available. If I fly is generally for more than 24 hours, sometimes up to a week - plenty of time to recharge even at lowest speed.
Right and it would be so less expensive to just put a bunch of 15 or 20 amp outlets than commercial EV chargers. Could power many more spots with the same hardware cost.

Reactions: preilly44
there are 20 amp (really 16 when charging) on various pillars. especially pillars with the emergency call boxes. however they are on gfis, as I suppose they must be, and occasionally trip. I plugged in to one as I was boarding the plane the charging stopped so I got a total of 4 miles.

maybe dialing down the amps from 16 to 14 or 13 wld help? any ideas? or maybe use the 15 amp plug in the 20 amp outlet?

there are 20 amp (really 16 when charging) on various pillars. especially pillars with the emergency call boxes. however they are on gfis, as I suppose they must be, and occasionally trip. I plugged in to one as I was boarding the plane the charging stopped so I got a total of 4 miles.

maybe dialing down the amps from 16 to 14 or 13 wld help? any ideas? or maybe use the 15 amp plug in the 20 amp outlet?

Yes, dialing down the amps would probably help but I've found some GFCIs seem extra sensitive and can trip easily regardless.

I presume nothing’s changed in a few weeks. ;-) I’m going on a 2-week trip soon and while I don’t want to park at Dulles for 2 weeks, yikes, $$$. I’m wondering if anyone knows of parkng nearby that has 120v plugs officially on offer for long-term trip parking?

Once I drove to Philly for a flight and parked in a place that allowed that. They even adjusted the plug when I discovered remotely that it wasn’t charging! Very nice people. :)

Anyway, I’m going to do some research, but in case anyone already know of something, I figured why not ask. Thanks!

(In case you’re wondering, we have an S and an X, so I’m a bit nervous about leaving both at home in winter for so long. Only one could be plugged into our HPWC...darn why don’t those come with a splitter, LOL. Anyway I figure the vampire drain is more in winter...is 2 weeks safe to be unplugged with 25-45 overnight???)

I presume nothing’s changed in a few weeks. ;-) I’m going on a 2-week trip soon and while I don’t want to park at Dulles for 2 weeks, yikes, $$$. I’m wondering if anyone knows of parkng nearby that has 120v plugs officially on offer for long-term trip parking?

Once I drove to Philly for a flight and parked in a place that allowed that. They even adjusted the plug when I discovered remotely that it wasn’t charging! Very nice people. :)

Anyway, I’m going to do some research, but in case anyone already know of something, I figured why not ask. Thanks!

(In case you’re wondering, we have an S and an X, so I’m a bit nervous about leaving both at home in winter for so long. Only one could be plugged into our HPWC...darn why don’t those come with a splitter, LOL. Anyway I figure the vampire drain is more in winter...is 2 weeks safe to be unplugged with 25-45 overnight???)

Cant you simply plug the 110V UMC adapter into one of the cars. I'm sure that would override the Vampire drain. That's if your going to leave both of them at home.

I'm here at Dulles and never have looked at long term parking lot to charge cars. I uber in when I fly out.

Reactions: Big Earl

What about reaching out to folks on Plugshare close to the airport? Personally, I'd let you park and plug in at my place in Leesburg but that's not super close to the airport. Or try the Holiday Inn Crowne Plaza PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You which has 4 EV chargers (and some 110s it looks like). They have a free 24 hour airport shuttle and might let you stay parked/plugged-in if you payed for a night's stay on one side or the other of your trip (or pay a nominal daily parking rate). Crowne Plaza Dulles Airport - Guest Reservations

This site lists a number of local hotels that let you park for a cheap rate and use their airport shuttle. Maybe call and inquire if any of them would let you plug into a 110.
Search IAD-Washington Dulles International Airport parking

It is unfortunate that Dulles Airport has not solved this problem for it's customers with EVs yet. Maybe one of these other businesses that offer parking could step up and offer a service for EV airport parking.

• Helpful
Reactions: Big Earl
There are plenty of Nema 5-20 outlets in Dulles lot 1. Even with my 5-15 plug I pulled 11amps and added 1 kWh/hour. presumably would be fully charged in 3 days. I can confirm the Airport Marriott also has a 110v outlet near the basketball courts, but I couldnt reach it with my Gen1 UMC.

+++ Im looking to buy a Gen1 5-20 adapter, but tough to pay >$75 for just a few more amps.

Reactions: bhzmark
There are plenty of Nema 5-20 outlets in Dulles lot 1. Even with my 5-15 plug I pulled 11amps and added 1 kWh/hour. presumably would be fully charged in 3 days. I can confirm the Airport Marriott also has a 110v outlet near the basketball courts, but I couldnt reach it with my Gen1 UMC.

+++ Im looking to buy a Gen1 5-20 adapter, but tough to pay >$75 for just a few more amps.

All of the Gen 1 adapters are $45 with free shipping at Tesla website.
Model S/X Gen 1 NEMA Adapters

Cant you simply plug the 110V UMC adapter into one of the cars. I'm sure that would override the Vampire drain. That's if your going to leave both of them at home.

Thanks, I thought about that but forgot to mention it (okay, I was lazy cuz I was typing on my phone, heh). Our closest plug would require an extension cord. While I realize some folks do that, since Tesla says not to, I am very nervous about doing that when we'll be gone (and for so long). You're right, of course, it would certainly offset it enough, though. Hmm, maybe I should just get a new outlet put in (not something I can do in time, but for the future).

I'm also thinking of asking work if I can leave my car (I can) AND plug it into a regular outlet, though reading upthread about outdoor GFI outlets tripping makes me nervous (almost more about them getting mad at me than anything else, heh).

Both things to think about, thanks.

Our closest plug would require an extension cord. While I realize some folks do that, since Tesla says not to, I am very nervous about doing that when we'll be gone (and for so long).
I understand the concern. You could mitigate it somewhat by setting the amps on the charging screen in the car down to the minimum (which I think is 5) and/or buying a heavy duty extension cord. (I bought one rated for 16A continuous load and outdoor use, so I'm quite comfortable using it indoors on a 15A circuit with 12A continuous load. I realize everyone's comfort level is different though.)

Reactions: madodel
Sorry, catching up on comments cuz I couldn't finish reading/replying earlier.

@DFibRL8R & @paulkva: Good ideas, thanks!

@Reddy Kilowatt : I'll reply shortly!

I'm feeling better about my options now, whew. I love this community.

My spouse feels I'm too worried about leaving my car not-plugged-in for 2 weeks. I am on the paranoid, I mean, cautious side, sure. Also, I admit, after my previous "leave car not-plugged-in" experience - NOT the fault of not plugging in, but it seemed so at first (some part bit the dust and the car wouldn't turn on! had to be towed from the corner of my work's garage, basement level; very, very stressful!) - I'm more nervous than before. I was nervous, shoot, with under a week away when I left it at work and . . . couldn't reach it! It was fine, though, whew. Apparently even the first floor, not far from the exit, with only one level of garage above . . . blocked 3G signal. Huh. ;-)

I parked at IAD today and was hoping to charge over the weekend. I was surprised to see 3 open spots, but all of the chargers were powered off. Several M3 cars didn’t bother plugging in so I assume the power has been out for a while. Anyone know what’s going on?