Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dulles Airport EV Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One long cable on a pillar that is within reach of the 6 spaces or so around the pillar — on either side. Very good layout allowing people to unplug when they see that there is no charging. I didn’t check, but hopefully there is a light on the charger indicating charging.

Also good design that the spaces are about as far (north end of level 1) from the walkway (south end of level 3) as possible so unlikely to be iced. Including iced by the jackass teslas that don't (need to) charge but take up EV spaces anyway to be a few seconds closer to the walkway to airport.

Reactions: linkster
Just wanted to thank everyone for this info and bump this thread for others...though maybe we should keep this a secret ;)

As others have said, this is an excellent set up. ClipperCreek chargers accessible from several spots due to being on columns and long charging cords. The chargers do show if they are actively charging or not via a lighted indicator on the charger unit. Also, the elevator to the 3rd floor to access the walkway is right next to these. There is no cost (except daily parking rates of course) to use these chargers btw.

I park at IAD every other week and almost never find an open charging spot, the info on the additional chargers in Garage 2 is great and prompted me to look at the Dulles map....SURPRISE!! There's now additional EV charging on Garage 1 also!

• Garage 1, Level 3 Row H with five units serving five parking spaces (208/240V available).
  • Garage 2, Level 1 Row U with five units serving five parking spaces (208/240V available).
  • Garage 2, Level 3 - adjacent to Terminal Walkway are four charging stations serving eight parking spaces (120V and 240V) available.

Screen Shot 2019-04-11 at 10.43.58 AM.png

I park at IAD every other week and almost never find an open charging spot, the info on the additional chargers in Garage 2 is great and prompted me to look at the Dulles map....SURPRISE!! There's now additional EV charging on Garage 1 also!

• Garage 1, Level 3 Row H with five units serving five parking spaces (208/240V available).
  • Garage 2, Level 1 Row U with five units serving five parking spaces (208/240V available).
  • Garage 2, Level 3 - adjacent to Terminal Walkway are four charging stations serving eight parking spaces (120V and 240V) available.

View attachment 395836

Now that the Garage 2 1st floor charges are being used heavily is there a proper charging etiquette for plugging in someone else when you leave? Given how long the charging cables are I was thinking of just sticking my adapter into the charge port with the hopes that one of the Teslas near me would charge me upon their departure.

Is there a proper charging etiquette for a situation like this? I wouldn't want to unplug anyone nor would I want to leave a note asking someone next to me to plug me in when they leave (though this might be the best option). I'm hoping there is all ready a proper charging etiquette or we could start an IAD one...kind of like the unwritten Slug rules

Edit: if you see a Red Model S with an adapter in please charge me. I'll start doing the same for anyone I see as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: bhzmark
Now that the Garage 2 1st floor charges are being used heavily is there a proper charging etiquette for plugging in someone else when you leave? Given how long the charging cables are I was thinking of just sticking my adapter into the charge port with the hopes that one of the Teslas near me when charge me upon their departure.

Is there a proper charging etiquette for a situation like this? I wouldn't want to unplug anyone nor would I want to leave a note asking someone next to me to plug me in when they leave (though this might be the best option). I'm hoping there is all ready a proper charging etiquette or we could start an IAD one...kind of like the unwritten Slug rules
If you put a note on your dash as to when you started charging and how long you think you need to charge, that would be useful for others. As far as unplugging another car, I tend to avoid that unless you see a note of some sort (some folks leave notes with QR codes that will call their cell phone).

Hey all - resurrecting this thread to ask if anybody has experience with the availability and reliable functionality of the new banks of charging stations installed in their parking garages. Garage 1 now has 94 units on Level 3, and Garage 2 has 56 of the same. All 240 volt. These will potentially be very helpful to our needs. I'm unsure why nobody has updated PlugShare to vouch for the installations so reaching out here to see if anybody has experience. Thanks

Hey all - resurrecting this thread to ask if anybody has experience with the availability and reliable functionality of the new banks of charging stations installed in their parking garages. Garage 1 now has 94 units on Level 3, and Garage 2 has 56 of the same. All 240 volt. These will potentially be very helpful to our needs. I'm unsure why nobody has updated PlugShare to vouch for the installations so reaching out here to see if anybody has experience. Thanks
I haven't, but what I see on PlugShare for Garage 1 is a large number of Level 1 units, and someone did update the description. There's a close-up photo showing it labeled 120V 12A, and recent-ish check-ins show it busy but working. Data for Garage 2 is a bit less clear, and nobody has updated the plugs or description, but there's one check-in indicating "must be like 50 now." Perhaps Garage 2 just gets less usage overall? Or at least less usage from PlugShare users?

Updating the actual plug configuration on PlugShare looks like it's extremely cumbersome, where they're added one at a time and many of the existing entries are locked. But it's easy to add photos or update the description text.

Reactions: Country Roads
I first noticed the new EV spots in Dulles Garage 2 a few months back - since then, I’ve successfully scored a spot 3 out of 4 times I’ve been there; the new long-cable chargers work great, allowing you to use any of 4-6 spots around each pillar vs. being tied to one spot like they used to be. I do believe these new chargers are Level 1 (120v/12A), which suits longer-term parkers like me perfectly.

They’ve removed the old chargers near the breezeway (those tended to get ICE’d due to their proximity to the walkway), and set up a dedicated charging area two-thirds of the way back on Level 3, around row U. The new charge areas are prominently identified by overhead green strip lighting.

I haven’t been to Garage 1 since the upgrade but imagine it’s similar…

I was at Dulles yesterday morning for about an hour, parked in Garage 2, took a few photos, and updated the PlugShare entry accordingly. Yes, they're 120V/12A, so for most people taking a flight that is indeed perfect. The Dulles web site indicates 56 plugs total on the 3rd level of the garage and another 10 on the 1st level, but the 10 on the 1st level are out of service.

I was at Dulles yesterday morning for about an hour, parked in Garage 2, took a few photos, and updated the PlugShare entry accordingly. Yes, they're 120V/12A, so for most people taking a flight that is indeed perfect. The Dulles web site indicates 56 plugs total on the 3rd level of the garage and another 10 on the 1st level, but the 10 on the 1st level are out of service.
What about the 6-8 level 2 charges near the walkway in Garage 2… they still there? Are the 56 plugs just standard electrical outlets that we need to bring a Mobile charger to use?

What about the 6-8 level 2 charges near the walkway in Garage 2… they still there? Are the 56 plugs just standard electrical outlets that we need to bring a Mobile charger to use?
Looks like the new Garage 1 chargers have J1772 plugs. Check out the photos on PlugShare:
Yes, the Garage 2 chargers are J-1772 as well, but expect charging speeds similar to standard electrical outlets.

I saw some chargers near the walkway (rows 3C+3D) but didn't take a close look. They seemed to be ICEd, and do NOT have the green ceiling lights in that area like they do in the others. Here's a link to the PlugShare entry I edited for Garage 2: IAD - Garage 2 (2) | Dulles, VA | EV Station

Had to travel for work last week and decided to try out the new charging areas at IAD daily parking. I went into Daily Garage 1 and headed for Level 3. The green lighting is super helpful to locate the areas with charging. The low-letter (around D-E-F-G IIRC) section was completely full, maybe 40% EVs and the rest ICE. But the higher-letter section (around Q-R-S-T) had a handful of empty spots. I plugged in and departed for a two-day business trip. The Level 1 charging makes a ton of sense in this application. I was parked more than long enough to return to a full battery, and took advantage to start preheating from inside the plane parked at the gate. It's great to have this at Dulles but I would expect it to be full (EVs and ICEs) at peak travel times.