Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dumb changes in the last update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Pruitt

Pontificating the obvious
Jun 27, 2014
Casper WY
On Saturday I installed the latest update.
I noticed two changes of very questionable utility --
1. When I go out into the garage, the car senses the fob and extends the door handles. Fine - it's always done that. But it also now unfolds the mirrors. It DIDN'T do that before this update. Since my garage is tight and I don't have a door opener, I have to walk past the car to get to the door. Now I have to click on the fob roof once to make the mirrors (and handles) retract so I can get by. Does that make any sense?
2. As I walk by the car to open the door, I stop to unplug the charging cable. Used to be that I simply pushed the button on the charging handle and the port would unlock the cable and allow me to remove the plug. Now I have to double-click the roof of the fob to get the cable to release. That's probably simply a result of having clicked the fob once to retract the mirrors, and I don't think it's new behavior. Still...

Where I didn't have to touch the fob to walk past the car and remove the cable, now I have to click it three times. What's the purpose of that change? Seems like a pretty dumb change to me...

• Informative
Reactions: David29 and GSP
I think if you have manually folded the mirrors before shut off, they don't open when unlocking the car.

Also, it doesn't unfold the mirrors at 16 km/h (10 mph) anymore. Why can't they make all these as options in the menus and stop changing them around?

I think if you have manually folded the mirrors before shut off, they don't open when unlocking the car.
Thanks. I never had to do that before...

I think the update probably just reset your mirrors to auto-fold. Turn Auto-fold off, and both behaviors should return to your regularly scheduled programming :)
My mirrors have always been set to auto-fold. I checked, and that hasn't changed, but the auto-fold functionality apparently has (and not for the better).

Try turning off auto-present handles. This way, when you walk into the garage, the car won't unlock and won't unfold the mirrors. You can walk by the mirror while it's folded, touch the door handle on the way by to unlock the car (and charge port), then hit the button on the charge connector to release.

I did this a few software versions ago and I like it better. The handles don't present all the time while I'm walking in the garage or near the car, and all you have to do is touch the door handle to unlock and present.

Reactions: David29
Thanks. I never had to do that before...

My mirrors have always been set to auto-fold. I checked, and that hasn't changed, but the auto-fold functionality apparently has (and not for the better).
The reaction to the arbitrary change in mirror auto-folding behavior has been pretty unanimously negative. See this thread:

Notable change in 17.34 (folding mirror routines)