Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dumb question about car jacks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My S85 tipped the scales at 4,720 (with car seats installed).

Remember your not lifting the entire car so one would think a 1 ton jack is more than enough to take a single corner so yes this 3 ton jack could effectively support the entire car while you will only task it with 1/4 of the vehicle.

Is there a proper place to put Jack stands as a backup? On my ice cars id typically keep the jack stand under the diff / a arm / or along the pinch weld just in case the Jack failed

I see elsewhere in TMC forums people recommending a 2.5 ton rated floor jack for use with Model S. And as for jack stands to safely hold up the car, I also notice people recommend JackPoint JackStands - they seem very nice and solid, and easy to use, though quite expensive (I don't have them). Search the forum and there's some write-ups and videos about those.

I too am thinking of getting a floor jack so I can do my own winter wheel swaps. Up to now I've been assuming I need a 2.5 ton rated jack. I was in a Walmart a couple weeks ago and saw but didn't buy this Torin Black Jack 2.5 ton low profile floor jack - anybody have one of these or otherwise know if it's a good jack?

What "weight rating" should I look for when purchasing a car jack for Model S?
I intend to get two, so I can raise one side fully, and rotate tires myself.
Will this car jack do? Costco Wholesale

TIA
I have that exact same jack, also from Costco. It's a very solid jack and it's a beast to move around.
I've used it to change all 4 tires, one at a time obviously, and although I do have jack stands and normally would use them as I would on my ICE vehicles, the lack of an additional support pad on the Tesla to use the jack stand simultaneously prevents using them.
So I just work really carefully and quickly to change the tire.
I only lift the vehicle on the jack just high enough to get the tire off the ground.
Albeit, Getting 2 jacks to lift and work on the same side could work.

I already had another floor jack that I used often, but picked up this small cheapo jack for the sole purpose of being able to lift each side of the car completely (as the OP suggests). (I think when I got it, it was $20). I wouldn't want to use it for many other lifting purposes, but for this purpose it works just fine. One thing to note, is that (without air suspension) a jack like this won't clear underneath the car. I am able to use it only, once I have the other jack in place and the car lifted slightly.

Another note, some have suggested using hockey pucks, which would probably work great. I didn't have any, so I just cut a few wood blocks using some 2x3's. These are nearly a perfect fit for the MS's lifting pads, so do a great job to distribute the weight evenly and ensure the jack's pad doesn't make unintended contact with other parts.