Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dumb question about charging cable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry for the Noob question but - How do I use this adapter that came with the Model 3? I know this plug (male end) is for a 50amp wall socket, but what's the other end supposed to attach to?

Thanks!

IMG_2284.JPG

Unless one of your previous 3 EVs was a Model S or X, it would be worthwhile to RTFM. It’s unlike any other car you have driven Actually even if one of your previous EVs was a Tesla it would still be worthwhile to RTFM.

My townhouse has no exterior outlets within reach of my parking space. The simplest solutions would be to (A) install a post in my front 'garden' patch, close to the sidewalk, or (B) run an extension cord from an outlet on the wall, all the way to the car. I told my HOA I'll put a bright yellow cable drop cover (concert style) to be ADA-compliant, on the nights when I run the cable across the sidewalk to the car. Now the problem:

Even Tesla's home charging team came back with a $2410 quote (yikes!) including $500 just for the post :eek:

I am thinking of getting an industrial NEMA 14-50 outlet installed on the post close to the sidewalk, and then use the UMC that comes with the car. Now I've read that it's better to NOT keep plugging and unplugging at the NEMA outlet, ideally. I was thinking, maybe I could keep an extra $35 NEMA adapter pigtail from Tesla always connected to the NEMA outlet, enclosed in a weather-proof box, and just keep connecting and disconnecting the UMC to it whenever I need to charge.

Does anyone see any problems with that? Would the adapter draw power because it's plugged in to the outlet all the time? Would the UMC take the repeated plugging/unplugging over an extended amount of time, even if I charge only once every 2-3 days? Thanks for your advice, guys!

I am thinking of getting an industrial NEMA 14-50 outlet installed on the post close to the sidewalk, and then use the UMC that comes with the car. Now I've read that it's better to NOT keep plugging and unplugging at the NEMA outlet, ideally. I was thinking, maybe I could keep an extra $35 NEMA adapter pigtail from Tesla always connected to the NEMA outlet, enclosed in a weather-proof box, and just keep connecting and disconnecting the UMC to it whenever I need to charge.

Does anyone see any problems with that? Would the adapter draw power because it's plugged in to the outlet all the time? Would the UMC take the repeated plugging/unplugging over an extended amount of time, even if I charge only once every 2-3 days? Thanks for your advice, guys!
Any Plug/Unplug problem would be on the Female socket. A Pigtail would be stolen before long. I suggest do not worry about the Plug/Unplug, just do it. In 2 or 3 years, if, and that is a big if, the socket starts getting hot, just replace the socket. It is cheap in comparison the the rest of the cost.

• Helpful
Reactions: theishu