Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dumb Question: Do non EAP Cars still have AP 1.0?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you buy a new car now, and don't select eAP, you won't get AP1, and you won't get TACC. You'll still get the AP safety features as they are enabled - collision alerts, emergency braking, and the like, but the car will never steer itself, and the cruise control will be "dumb" - holding a set speed but not reacting to traffic.

(This is the same as what folks who didn't order AP got under AP1 hardware, though AP2 presumably will do slightly better on the safety features eventually.)

There's a lot of discussion about what folks who ordered and paid for AP before eAP came out but refused to pay the extra upgrade price once Tesla announced eAP and delivered their cars with AP2 hardware are getting, but that's beyond the scope of your question I think.

Sucks that you can't at least get AP1. My AP1 works surprisingly well and has more capability than AP2 has now. I know it won't in the future. But honestly, I really don't want more. I do want to drive my car. I feel for those who are still waiting after all this time after spending so much. I hope it really shines when fully functional.

AP1 depends on the MobilEye chip. Tesla and MobilEye parted ways. There are no more MobilEye chips for new cars. Presumably Tesla can still get MobilEye chips to repair cars that were built with them.

Intel recently bought MobilEye. Maybe that will result in some changes.

I guess AP2.. might confuse the S2000 drivers but otherwise people will know what you're talking about.

The problem with that is that AP2 is already well established in the forum as a description of the car's hardware state (though I have seen a few folks adopt Elon's "HW2" instead.)

This is one of several reasons I've been using the lower case e for eAP, but like any herd of cats, the forum members aren't about to be led or dictated to. :)

At least the difference between early access and enhanced autopilot should be fairly clear from context, unlike the falcon wing door/front wheel drive situation or the whole service center vs supercharger situation - and folks don't talk about early access all that much here to begin with.

Presumably Tesla can still get MobilEye chips to repair cars that were built with them.

I wouldn't bet on that, either. My guess is that Tesla did a lifetime spare buy during the contract and has some number sitting on a shelf somewhere to replace failed parts, but no deal with Mobileye for new chips.

The way the two companies parted seemed very final, and I don't think Mobileye has any interest in selling Tesla spares.

I wouldn't worry too much about this, chips almost never fail unless you're in some very harsh environment.
Even if the module goes bad it's likely a capacitor or a solder joint.

There's a thriving business in refurbishing old ECUs because of this.