Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dumb Question (For Those Who Sold Their S)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cnasty

Jun 20, 2016
Dallas
So tomorrow is a bittersweet day as I sell my S and I now decide when to order my 3 as I have had the ability to do so for a while on my account.

Maybe a dumb question, but after my S is officially sold, my car transferred over, and Tesla contacted by the new owner to utilize the app on the car....do I lose my reservation spot since I am no longer an "owner" with priority???

I know I dont lose my reservation of course but do I lose my spot and now have to wait with non-owners???

I am holding off on ordering to see if the AWD or SR details are released in February and really dont want to order right now if I dont have to.

Thanks for any input from S owners who sold and then bought a 3 :)

The general consensus here is that once you sell your last Tesla vehicle you are no longer an owner and no longer get priority. However, since you are already at the point where you can configure your vehicle I have a hard time believing that they would take that away from you once you sell. I’m not sure if anyone has been in that position yet.

The general consensus here is that once you sell your last Tesla vehicle you are no longer an owner and no longer get priority. However, since you are already at the point where you can configure your vehicle I have a hard time believing that they would take that away from you once you sell. I’m not sure if anyone has been in that position yet.

Not the answer I was hoping for!! I would really hate to lose that and may need to configure then.

Damn.

I don't know the answer but I would like to. I'm potentially In the same position.

My completely uninformed guess is if you're invited to configure it's safe.

I may have to call Tesla tomorrow but then I feel like if I tell them the scenario it will draw attention to the fact I am no longer an owner and they remove me. Tin foil hat thinking here. :)

I seriously doubt you will lose your spot or your priority. Tesla knows that you are "a previous Model S owner" - associated with your email address / Tesla login credentials. I currently own one Model S but Tesla knows I have previously owned 2 other Model Ss.

Of course I don't really know the answer to your question but that never stopped me from posting before...

Mike

I seriously doubt you will lose your spot or your priority. Tesla knows that you are "a previous Model S owner" - associated with your email address / Tesla login credentials. I currently own one Model S but Tesla knows I have previously owned 2 other Model Ss.

Of course I don't really know the answer to your question but that never stopped me from posting before...

Mike

Which is why I enjoy all the camaraderie and shenanigans on peoples thoughts. I truly didnt think about it until I was factory resetting my S to sell tomorrow.

Then I had a moment of silence with her...and then fear came over me with this question. Her leather wasn't even cold yet and I was already picturing my a** in another seat.

Reactions: NOLA_Mike
Here's where I am. I bought a MS way back in 2013 (#7600). Shortly after buying, work situation changed and I had to sell it.

Fast forward, I reserved M3 on day 1 (not in store, but on the web during presentation). So happy to have a chance to get back into a Tesla. A few weeks ago I asked the local Tesla store if they knew if my prior ownership would be considered. Answer: 'Don't really know, but I think you need to be a current owner since I think it uses your account info to see if you are an owner.' Left me disappointed but I wasn't surprised with the answer. But it wasn't a fact.

Fast forward to last week, and sure enough I was one of those that randomly checked my account and found a configuration invite (no email). Placed my order and I'm eagerly waiting for 4 weeks from now. I'm in TX. No doubt my prior ownership had to play into getting a spot this early. I didn't risk it. Might have considered a dual motor, but I want it now and I want no doubt about the tax credit. Beggars can't be choosers.

Here's where I am. I bought a MS way back in 2013 (#7600). Shortly after buying, work situation changed and I had to sell it.

Fast forward, I reserved M3 on day 1 (not in store, but on the web during presentation). So happy to have a chance to get back into a Tesla. A few weeks ago I asked the local Tesla store if they knew if my prior ownership would be considered. Answer: 'Don't really know, but I think you need to be a current owner since I think it uses your account info to see if you are an owner.' Left me disappointed but I wasn't surprised with the answer. But it wasn't a fact.

Fast forward to last week, and sure enough I was one of those that randomly checked my account and found a configuration invite (no email). Placed my order and I'm eagerly waiting for 4 weeks from now. I'm in TX. No doubt my prior ownership had to play into getting a spot this early. I didn't risk it. Might have considered a dual motor, but I want it now and I want no doubt about the tax credit. Beggars can't be choosers.

You are literally right down the street. I am in Frisco. Keep me posted on if it truly takes the whole 4 weeks!!

That is excellent to hear and I may just take the plunge myself tomorrow as that is the only way i will get cheered up after letting go of my S in the same day.

Likewise weird that got no email

My belief is there is no fancy algorithm at work. You place a reservation for a 3, it queues you in line for the ladder you are on.

Owner + 1st day instore reservation
Owner + Online reservation
Non-owner instore reservation
Etc

Would be a waste of programming (and also petty) to constantly do iterative loops to kick out people who used to be in a certain tier but are now demoted due to not belonging in the owners class.

You can lose your original car by means other than selling it. Totaled in a car accident, divorce settlement, etc

Reactions: mic.rempel

Mike

Someone on Reddit went through the same thing...sorry, I can't find the link right now.

Basically, they were an owner when they reserved a 3, then sold their S about 6 months ago, still got invited to configure their 3 with "owners' priority" batch.

Anecdotal? Sure. Definitive proof? Not really.

A small glimmer of hope for others in a similar situation? Yea.

• Informative
Reactions: mic.rempel