Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dumb Question: To supress explicit lyrics, do I switch the "Explicit Content" switch on or ff?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, I do NOT want to hear explicit content (being the delicate flower that I am.... and I have kids).

So...

There is a switch labelled "Explicit Content"
  • I think if I turn it off then I will not receive any explicit content
But maybe
  • Turning it on is enabling the explicit content filter, which will prevent explicit content
It is not in the manual

It was apparently added in software v9, which only says this

You can now turn off explicit lyrics with the Explicit Content setting by going to Media Settings > Options > Explicit Content.​

So not helpful...

To determine if the filter is working first you have to know what the definition of explicit lyrics is, not just what you think it is.
My test procedure.

1: search for "****" (forum will probably censor this, but I'm searching for the F word uncensored)
2: review results, verify that they all play and do not play censored version
3: toggle the explicit language setting
4: run search again
5: compare results verify the result list is identical and it still plays the uncensored version

On the cars interface I cannot see any explicit language tag on any of the results with either either setting, but when Spotify is playing and I look in the Spotify app, the app does show the explicit language tag on the current playing songs.

My test procedure.

1: search for "****" (forum will probably censor this, but I'm searching for the F word uncensored)
2: review results, verify that they all play and do not play censored version
3: toggle the explicit language setting
4: run search again
5: compare results verify the result list is identical and it still plays the uncensored version

On the cars interface I cannot see any explicit language tag on any of the results with either either setting, but when Spotify is playing and I look in the Spotify app, the app does show the explicit language tag on the current playing songs.
I do notice that for the most part it does try to find clean(Er) versions of songs where available. I presume it has something to do with how the songs are tagged on their end, because some songs I know have a clean version and it plays the explicit version anyways.
Also noticed the toggle didn’t take place immediately it took some time to clear out whatever the system had cached.

What I can't believe is that anybody who gives a damn about specific words STILL wants to play material that is inherently based on aggressive profanity and revels in violence. Can you please explain?

If you're listening to Rap it's presumably to comprehend what it's saying. Why not just stick to classical or New Age or top 40 rock if you don't like that spirit?

Isn't this happening wholesale? I mean filtering, avoiding. People picking news channels that only present what they agree with, customizing all their perception to where they just go deeper into their delusions and hate their neighbors who watch different news channels, and apply different filters?

Last edited:
Reactions: TX_M3P+
What I can't believe is that anybody who gives a damn about specific words STILL wants to play material that is inherently based on aggressive profanity and revels in violence. Can you please explain?

If you're listening to Rap it's presumably to comprehend what it's saying. Why not just stick to classical or New Age or top 40 rock if you don't like that spirit?

Isn't this happening wholesale? people picking news channels that only present what they agree with, customizing all their perception to where they just go deeper into their delusions and hate their neighbors who watch different news channels, and apply different filters?
My 3 year old is a parrot - he will repeat anything he hears. I don't really want him talking like a sailor, but I don't want to listen to cartoon music when he is in the car either.

What I would like to do is tell the car to play my normal channels/playlists and skip anything that's inappropriate when children are in the car.

There is a button that's supposed to do this. Problem is it doesn't work.

One would think the Explicit track is a SAP signal in digital channels. Nope. A Spotify Family Acct will allow you to filter most vulgar content.

And you're right about the 'parrot' problem. It's embarrassing to be called into school and be told if your kid can't clean up their mouth, you have to find another school.

But it's not just for kids. I don't find HS dropouts screaming obscenities a form of entertainment, but I don't do self-flagellation either. To each their own.

Here's a thought, if it's only about the children. Get the idea across to the kid that different behaviors and words belong in different contexts. Make a game out of it even, like it's a secret, we all have to pretend, you can't give everything away to everybody. Anybody who's ever lived in a repressive state knows they have to teach the kids some "distancing" early on: there's home and then there's everywhere else. It's not all one happy playing field. That's working OK so far with our 3 year old, although there are limits. But we don't have to listen to that kind of stuff all the time, do we?

Last edited: