Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dumb questions thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What if you put a wind turbine on the car? Then you could regenerate power and drive forever!

> I spent a few minutes talking to the gentleman who asked me this question, with his 12 year old daughter in tow. I didn't know how to tell him that he was talking nonsense.

What do you do when you run out of electricity? My response,

I have never run out of electricity, Have you ever run out of gas? Yes. What did you do?

I read a very good perspective on EVs recently (http://www.aprs.org/EV-misinformation.html) where it was noted that ICEs are refueled while you are using them and probably wanting to do something else, in contrast to EVs that are recharged while you are doing something else (work, sleep, fun, etc.). Usually one runs out of gas because they didn't / couldn't take the time out of using the car to refuel in time, while my Roadster is always ready to go every time I get into it.

What if you put a wind turbine on the car? Then you could regenerate power and drive forever!

> I spent a few minutes talking to the gentleman who asked me this question, with his 12 year old daughter in tow. I didn't know how to tell him that he was talking nonsense.

I literally had a guy who just spent $11K trying to patent this idea which he was pitching to me...

"what if we add a "small wheel" that rests on the wheels of the car and attach this small wheel to an alternator, then charge the batteries back up from the energy from the alternators... That should give us at least another hour of driving time, right?"

I had to break the bad news to him about his >100% efficient system being a bit "optimistic". Actually spent a 1/2 hour giving him physics instruction, he paid $11K for that lesson (of course, I got $0 of that)!

I have a trailer hitch on my Roadster and frequently get a question about the hitch. I tell them with a straight face that I sometimes see cars who ran out of gas and this allows me to tow them to the nearest gas station. It normally gets them thinking.

So far I'm happily surprised by the questions and the awesome responses.

Lloyd, all the responses are welcome, but you should probably put the heading "here's your sign". LOL

ie.:
Q: Hey, if that car's electric, does it have batteries?
A: Nope, don't need 'em. Got a gerbil spinning a wheel connected to a generator. (Yes, I really did and continue to use that one).
A: Nope, it has peddles instead. I ride her like a bike. (Yep, I use that one too).

Last edited:
I've gotten the "Is that a new Tesla?" a lot, as well as the, "what year is that?" and "How do I buy one?" (I'm in Texas.)

Every time I say, "it's a 2008" or "it's 7 years old" and "the only way to get one is to buy it used," people have a hard time reacting. ('But... I... they made ELECTRIC CARS BACK THEN?')

My favorite, though, isn't the stupid questions. I love it when people know what it is, and they say, "wow, I've never seen one in real life before!"

I also like it when people ask me about electric cars in general and say they're too expensive, and I tell them that I also have a Leaf and just about everyone who owns a home with a place to charge an electric car can afford to pay $199 a month to lease a Leaf -- $199 a month for a car you don't have to buy gas for should be exciting.

That gets people thinking beyond the ICE.

When I drive the Leaf around, I very, very rarely get stopped by anyone with any questions. Though it has happened on occasion, at charging stations.

I know its a Tesla, but who makes it?

Oh my gosh. I've heard this one over and over and over. Maybe it's just an east coast thing.

And often followed by the question:
Is "Tesla" a German import?

Answer: No it's an American car that's made in California.

Followed by: "Really?"

- - - Updated - - -

And finally the all time classic question, after raising the hood to the frunk:

Q: Where do they put the "engine"?

My favorite is when I drive my wife's FIAT 500e. It has the radio antenna on the roof as many cars do. I cut off the male end plug of an extension cord and stuck it on the antenna. When people ask how I charge it, I point to the plug. And frequently get the response, "Wow, really?"

Plug in Fiat.jpg

Lady heard my conversation on Tesla one day at the Doctor.
Lady: Where is Tesla made?
Me: California.
Lady: We do not need those cars from Hungary! (She failed History and Geography)
Me: (Politely) No it is made in California. (I politely excused myself and left)