Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dumb Safety score

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FSD Beta is not an upgrade. The FSD upgrade that I paid for is a long way off.
I was stuck at 96. I un-enrolled and re-enrolled. I get almost all100's now.
For me, it meant giving up having a sports car that can turn like it is on rails.
I have to be watching all the time. And yup, being in a harsh urban environment
makes it hard.

You can do it. A whole lot of us have.
  • Set to Chill Mode. Set Follow Distance at 7.
  • You never touch the brakes except at very slow speeds. Regen only.
  • You never accelerate or brake while turning. Turn slow. No, slower.
  • Don't get a Forward Collision Warning or Auto Pilot disengagement. (Delete a bad trip)
  • Use AutoPilot in bad situations (like where someone might cut you off).
And ask anyone who has FSD. Getting the 100 score is the easy part.
Testing FSD is hard.

If you want to get a 100, you can.
Just to confirm, having TACC engaged also prevents getting dinged for hard braking and unsafe following, correct? One doesn't have to have full AP or autosteer enabled to get those benefits?

• Disagree
Reactions: FlyF4
Just to confirm, having TACC engaged also prevents getting dinged for hard braking and unsafe following, correct? One doesn't have to have full AP or autosteer enabled to get those benefits?
No, I do not believe that is correct. Even pressing the electron pedal while engages the SS monitoring. Only native AP is excluded in my experience.

For example I use TACC (not AP) set to 5 to REDUCE "unsafe following" dings.

Reactions: K5TRX and Vector2
I ran errands today and did not get within 20 cars lengths while driving, I did get within 1 car length at stop signs and traffic lights. The only time I touched my brakes was in the parking lot as to not hit a concrete abutment or stop the car within a parking stall. I was red in both Hard Braking and Forward Collision. Do I need to crash into the concrete barriers and maintain a 4 car length distance a stop signs? I have also noticed that if a car cuts in front of you or you are in bumper to bumper traffic you get dinged for Unsafe Following and Forward Collision.
Do I need to just drive around my neighborhood with no other cars on the road to get better scores?

I ran errands today and did not get within 20 cars lengths while driving, I did get within 1 car length at stop signs and traffic lights. The only time I touched my brakes was in the parking lot as to not hit a concrete abutment or stop the car within a parking stall. I was red in both Hard Braking and Forward Collision. Do I need to crash into the concrete barriers and maintain a 4 car length distance a stop signs? I have also noticed that if a car cuts in front of you or you are in bumper to bumper traffic you get dinged for Unsafe Following and Forward Collision.
Do I need to just drive around my neighborhood with no other cars on the road to get better scores?
Some of your testimony doesn't seem to fit the way the system works. Unsafe following only counts time spent >50mph, so "bumper to bumper" traffic shouldn't be triggering it ever. A forward collision warning is a loud alert in the cabin, you shouldn't be missing these (but it's possible to tune it such that you don't hear ones the car cares about, make sure you're on the most sensitive setting). Hard braking is >0.3G, you really can't get that with regen only (and yes, I tested).

Basically: the way you beat this game is the way you beat any game. Study the rules carefully, practice, and develop new skills. It's not hard. But it's not free, either. You need to change the way you drive. "Should" those be the rules? I take no position. Nonetheless those are the rules.

Reactions: K5TRX
I’m not an actuary, but there is zero chance this “score” has any but the weakest correlation with hitting things and/or hurting people or damaging property. And it’s not sour grapes - I have FSD. The math is total BS. For instance, the “aggressive braking” coefficient basically, like a lot of people have pointed out, is triggered by safely stopping for yellows. So I went on a 600 mile road trip the vast majority of which was on AP since it was interstate. I put the brakes on maybe two dozen times the whole day because it was only getting on and off the highway and making a couple turns. Many many miles on AP. So I had to stop at a yellow and stopped at the driveway to Culver’s cuz the directions to the supercharger sucked and there was no one behind me. Bam! I’m a bad driver! So I drive for hundreds of mile and two stops I trip the aggressive braking parameter. Who cares? I hardly brake aggressively. But those events that occurred over maybe 5 miles of actual human driving got amplified by 120 times because the stupid algorithm weighs the day’s score by miles driven. It’s bad math. Like freshman level stats bad math.

Oh, and the FCW you get when it sees a car slow down and you don’t instantaneously put on the brakes … just force a reboot and it disappears from your calculation. :rolleyes:

The only way you get above a 98 is by reading the forums and doing the tricks to get it. “We’ll, I just drive safely and got a 99!” Yeah, well, you’re the exception that proves the rule. This score thing is just a way to sort out fans. That’s it. Honestly, there are people who got it who don’t even know how to activate it. Just goes to show how much a sideshow this thing is to normal people as opposed to those of us who are actually following it.

The only way you get above a 98 is by reading the forums and doing the tricks to get it. “We’ll, I just drive safely and got a 99!”
Really, it's not that hard. You just have to work at it. Learn to start slowing down early before intersections, and conversely when you need to not stop for an impending yellow. Develop an intuition for when FCW events might happen ("Will that car in front of me turn at that corner?" "Are there parked cars on the outside of the curve I'm about to take?"). Use autopilot any time you're above 50mph. Stuff like that.

None of those are "the way you prefer to drive", and sure, maybe they don't necessarily represent an improvement to safety. But they're achievable skills, and they're the rules of the game. Play or don't.

I’ll add my 2 cents. SS algorithm for hard braking just sucks. I just went on a 5 mile drive around the neighborhood. Late night, no traffic. Being VERY cautious, even paranoid because I know how sensitive .3g is for braking. Even so, I had to brake gradually coming down a hill with a stop sign at the bottom. Got home to find I got an 87 score for hard braking on this trip. That’s just wrong.

I’ll add my 2 cents. SS algorithm for hard braking just sucks. I just went on a 5 mile drive around the neighborhood. Late night, no traffic. Being VERY cautious, even paranoid because I know how sensitive .3g is for braking. Even so, I had to brake gradually coming down a hill with a stop sign at the bottom. Got home to find I got an 87 score for hard braking on this trip. That’s just wrong.
I just broke a 100 streak... regen wouldn't stop me in time for the stop sign, lightly tapped the brakes. 3.6%... down to 99.

I fully understand that. I often drive down a steep hill with a 25 mph speed limit and a stop sign near the bottom of the hill. I make sure that I gradually come to a stop at the stop sign but it seems like I get dinged for hard braking just for using the brakes to stay somewhat within the speed limit when going down the hill. Now with the weather being cold, I do not have full regen braking to help me slow down, so I get dinged more for hard braking.

I fully understand that. I often drive down a steep hill with a 25 mph speed limit and a stop sign near the bottom of the hill. I make sure that I gradually come to a stop at the stop sign but it seems like I get dinged for hard braking just for using the brakes to stay somewhat within the speed limit when going down the hill. Now with the weather being cold, I do not have full regen braking to help me slow down, so I get dinged more for hard braking.
Use AP with stop sign detection.

Reactions: planetary